: Impala SS Wagon.... or is it?

96Fleetwood
03-04-08, 08:42 PM
I bought a modded '95 WB4 Roadmaster wagon yesterday! It is a beautiful 2 owner wagon. It had all the molding removed and holes filled/sanded, Impala Grill & bumper, cowl hood, emblems removed, and then repainted Black. I get the luxury of the Roadmaster wagon with the Vista Roof, but the Impala SS mean looks!

It has a few of the usual LT1 mods, nothing crazy.. yet.....:lildevil:

Rides well, needs a alignment and shocks all around, maybe some front end suspension parts. Pulls strong even though it has 2.93 gears. This one does have Posi and the factory towing package with mechanical fan.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture001.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture002-1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture003-1.jpg

I have the Roadmaster sedan up for sale. That sedan is great, but I really needed the cargo room of a wagon after we sold the QX4. It didn't make sense having three sedans (Fleetwood, M45, and Roadmaster).

Take care!
-Elias

Brizzal
03-04-08, 09:20 PM
man how the hell u get so many of these nice cars?! slap me over an LT1 sometime lol
the ss wagon looks badass! new show car maybe?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-08, 09:32 PM
Looks like a Grand Marquis to me.

jey
03-04-08, 09:52 PM
Is the wagon conversion to SS relatively popular?? Interesting that you just got one, because my wife was driving around St. Louis and saw a black "Impala SS wagon" with a T56 (something with a clutch at least), deep exhaust, and dark tint. You didn't happen to pick this car up near St. Louis did you??

c5 rv
03-04-08, 10:26 PM
Very nice. How much do you want for the RM? I have a buddy in Grand Rapids, MI that may be looking for one if it is low miles.

caddycruiser
03-04-08, 10:36 PM
Very nice. How much do you want for the RM? I have a buddy in Grand Rapids, MI that may be looking for one if it is low miles.

Here ye go:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=194400

96Fleetwood
03-04-08, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the comments on the wagon!

The Roadmaster sedan is not for the faint of heart.. she is a bad machine. If you want details, PM me. It has $$$ in mods cosmetically and mechanically.

MauiV
03-04-08, 10:59 PM
I work with a guy with a Caprice wagon converted to a Impala SS. It is a dark purple color and a pretty cool car but we call it the Purple Dildo.

caddycruiser
03-04-08, 11:25 PM
...but we call it the Purple Dildo.

Hah! I've never heard that before, regarding a Caprice wagon...but makes sense...

creeker
03-04-08, 11:47 PM
I've been looking for a r.m. wagon for awhile now,(91-96) hard to find a good one,is the caprice basically the same car?. are the body parts panels interchangeable etc? tnx.

96Fleetwood
03-04-08, 11:56 PM
The Caprice wagon does not have the vista roof or better interior. That is the main difference between the two.

I had a Caprice wagon, but it was a L03 (super slow). I turned that one into a DGGM SS wagon:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/Picture191-1.jpg

This new Black LT1 Roadmaster "SS" wagon fits the bill nicely ;) though.

This is my 5th wagon. I find them all the time. Where are you located?

Florian
03-04-08, 11:58 PM
why not just buy an Impala SS wagon>? they were exported from the US to Europe and Japan. Nothing like a grey market vehicle.

F

BigJon
03-04-08, 11:59 PM
i like it looks really nice where did you find it?

xshrpshtr
03-05-08, 12:02 AM
I had a gray maket vehicle. Silver '72 450 sl V8 4sp. What a cool car. I owned it 2 weeks then the exwife brought down the world onto my children and I. I had to sell it to pay for the attorney.

Destroyer
03-05-08, 12:43 AM
You know Elias, like you, I go through many cars. Difference is that I go through many DIFFERENT cars. You buy the same one in one variation or another time after time. Why?.:thepan: Dont get me wrong man, I like the full size GM's but I just dont understand why anyone would want so many versions of the same car and that could be applied to any make or model.

Brizzal
03-05-08, 01:09 AM
...This is my 5th wagon. I find them all the time. Where are you located?

im down in west palm beach, florida, id love to have an LT1

Night Wolf
03-05-08, 01:35 AM
Here ye go:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=194400

Chad could sell the Benz, buy this, almost break even and have a fast car he always likes :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-08, 02:23 AM
Yeah, right. :bigroll:

Or I could follow my trend and do the thing that makes the least amount of sense and install that $4000 Mosselman turbo kit designed for the 3.2L I-6. Then I'd have my dream car, and it'd be fast. :D

slk230mb
03-05-08, 07:52 AM
Elias, I think you might have an addiction problem with B/D Bodies. :)

96Fleetwood
03-05-08, 08:28 AM
You know Elias, like you, I go through many cars. Difference is that I go through many DIFFERENT cars. You buy the same one in one variation or another time after time. Why?.:thepan: Dont get me wrong man, I like the full size GM's but I just dont understand why anyone would want so many versions of the same car and that could be applied to any make or model.

I do buy other different cars, but I buy those to make money. Don't you always lose money on your car ventures??

I stick with the LT1 cars as daily drivers because I can do all the work myself and I know these cars in and out. All have proven to be super reliable, and as you can see I keep getting better and better modded LT1 cars, so in a sense each one is different.

If I had the money like my Father, I would be driving a different new car every 6 months but that is not the case yet. So I invest my money in cars that I know will not break and where if anything I can break even or make money on after driving them.

This wagon is different because it is a Roadmaster.. not a Caprice which has the cheaper interior and less options.

Anyways,

This car was J. Madely's daily driver, he is in Western Illinios. He has the world's fastest Impala (211.8 mph) :

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture018.jpg

He is a great guy, super nice, and really knows his cars!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-08, 01:31 PM
Honestly, I think the LT-1 B/D Bodies are some of the best cars made in the '90s.

caddycruiser
03-05-08, 11:16 PM
Honestly, I think the LT-1 B/D Bodies are some of the best cars made in the '90s.

Agreed. As much as I moan anymore about driving a land yacht, my fuel economy, etc., nothing gets the looks, holds as much, has as nice of an interior, starts EVERY day with the barest essentials of maintenance and purs along, etc. as my Fleetwood. It's a bear to drive sometimes, makes me cry when I see the credit card statement of my gas bills, is terribly unsophisticated...but, somehow, it still is very special.

The simplicity is their biggest pro and con. Great for maintenance and a lack of things to break or wear down, but also they feel a bit prehistoric not just in features but overall build. Then again, that's more than common for the entire era they were from.

I would never go through the multiples Elias has with them, but at the same time, his point is dead on--it's fun to always have something different or better, and at the core, these cars share that same hearty, reliable, affordable, and fun regardless of specific model and trim. So he can have a sedan for commuting one week...see a cool wagon and it after a few...back to a "better" sedan, etc., and still just essentially keep on swapping them without payments or debt because of the prices and low upkeep.

Well, that, or just to entertain all of us with seeing what the new week or day has brought to his driveway & garage, and reactions to it;)

Now...back to my econocar thoughts...as that big shiny boat sits outside lurking for another day...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-08, 01:53 AM
but also they feel a bit prehistoric not just in features but overall build. Then again, that's more than common for the entire era they were from.

Actually, after sitting in Brian's for that short time yesterday, I commented to him, "this feels a lot more GM Corporate than your old one did, but this one feels a lot more modern too".

People always harp on how bad the materials are in the B/D bodies, but are they really any worse than a Grand Prix, Tahoe or a Park Avenue from the same years? As far as build quality and quality of materials go, they're no worse than the other '90s GM's, aside from the Cadillacs.

The '90s were just a dark time for build quality in GM. Now they're really starting to kick ass again.

Cadillacboy
03-06-08, 01:50 PM
I like it , you know what to buy and drive ;)

caddycruiser
03-06-08, 10:37 PM
Actually, after sitting in Brian's for that short time yesterday, I commented to him, "this feels a lot more GM Corporate than your old one did, but this one feels a lot more modern too".

People always harp on how bad the materials are in the B/D bodies, but are they really any worse than a Grand Prix, Tahoe or a Park Avenue from the same years? As far as build quality and quality of materials go, they're no worse than the other '90s GM's, aside from the Cadillacs.

The '90s were just a dark time for build quality in GM. Now they're really starting to kick ass again.

True, but I forgot to clarify. The Caprice was generally chalk full of hard, shiny, and creaky stuff, the Roadmaster got a lot better with the '94 refresh but still wasn't great...but the Fleetwood actually had some very nice materials. The dash, especially, the doors, etc. all definitely feel more plush and richer.

And 131k and 13 years later, mine in particular--even after a side rebuild--has but a creaky driver's door panel, and that's it.

So they're really not bad...but the 90's were the 90's were GM.

codewize
03-07-08, 12:39 AM
One of my clients is selling his Impala SS. I've been bugging him about it for 2 years now but I just don't have the cash to do it right now.

I think it's a 96 with 12k on it. The car is super clean he wants $15k for it. He's a car buff /collector type so it's been well cared for. If I buy it I'm going to drive it and I don't think that's the right reason to buy that car.

I'm personally looking for a clean 93 - 96 Brougham

hueterm
03-07-08, 01:19 AM
I would get a FWB if it would fit in the garage...

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 10:19 PM
One of my clients is selling his Impala SS. I've been bugging him about it for 2 years now but I just don't have the cash to do it right now.

I think it's a 96 with 12k on it. The car is super clean he wants $15k for it. He's a car buff /collector type so it's been well cared for. If I buy it I'm going to drive it and I don't think that's the right reason to buy that car.

My '95 Fleetwood would be perfect for you...fabulous exterior and interior (still one of the best I've seen on these cars), gorgeous and still modern color combo, SS wheels with Deville caps as the main "mod", but also meant and used for regular daily driving in reliable style--but still to the level it can be a weekend, hobby, and even (with little effort) a fun and affordable show piece. 131k largely garaged and well kept miles, cleaned weekly, etc...yet not afraid to be driven anywhere in anything.

It will be for sale before long...if I ever get the time to legitimately finish brushing up a few details (full re-detail, painting a trim piece, etc.). I love it to death and know I'll never be able to find another like it (I'm always looking...and wow have the pickings become thin lately), but oh well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 10:22 PM
Why are you selling the Fleetwood. That's sacrilege!

Rolex
03-08-08, 10:30 PM

That's a great car that I'd love to have....to drive. Those are a drivers car, and it would be a shame to watch a great car like that sit in a garage all the time. That's JMHO. Now I wouldn't dig it if someone chopped it up and modded it all to hell, but I'd love to have a well cared for older Impala SS to drive as a secondary vehicle. I fell in love with those things when I was in college, and have always wanted one.

I do understand where you're coming from though. The original well kept examples are becoming difficult to find.

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 10:55 PM
Why are you selling the Fleetwood. That's sacrilege!

Hah! Yes, I know...I shall burn in hell:devil: I've thought about it, mentioned it before, etc. but really think it's time to just put it out there and see what or if any bites it gets.

Right now, no signs, ads, etc. so it's all still in theory, but it's always been too much of a car for me and makes me want to do to much with it (i.e. that "mod it" factor...). Moreso, after my month with my Enterprise special Malibu, mom's new '08 Malibu, etc...I've really, truly seen the light with newer, lighter, FWD, and 4-cyl cars. As Elias told me once, even just making suspension and other mods to the FW would turn it into a completely different beast...but that's more of the point. I could always make it better and better, but where I'm at now, need the exact opposite of something that I want to mod to oblivion and keep changing.

That's basically it. If I had the time, space, and desire for a great weekend playtoy that could also be a daily driver, no question. But as a 100% daily driver, I almost feel bad driving it...and it's just...so much, for me. However, it is gorgeous, DEAD reliable (I never, ever doubt going out and firing it up to go anywhere), and very fun, and gets me more attention and discussion than anything.

It's basically the opposite of an Elias move. These cars are old and cheap, but awesome for it and can be kept stock or modded to oblivion...but I more need (or think I do), smaller, more economical, and yes, more typical.

Not that it's a guarantee, as I continue to depend on it daily now...but that is the so-called plan, and if/when it pops up here and elsewhere for sale, it shouldn't be a big shock. And if I don't or can't sell it...oh well, it's not a terrible thing to keep around:rolleyes:

I could start a whole new thread on this...but I know what the response would be, and hardly have the time to be posting this long of a diatribe as is.

So yeah...that's kind of the story:thumbsup: To take a line from Elias, and make it easy, everything of mine is always for sale...for the right price.

For all I know...I could really have it for eternity. But as of now, for sure, if the offer is right...time to move on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 10:57 PM
Bastard. :nono: If you're going to sell it, atleast move UP the automotive food chain.

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 11:02 PM
Bastard. :nono: If you're going to sell it, atleast move UP the automotive food chain.

And yes...I know that too.

You'd think, having such a thing now, I would only go "up"...but it all depends on what that "up" is in your own regard.

But, yet again, it could be around for a very long time...I've just finally relegated it to the if it goes, it goes state. We'll see. No rush.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 11:08 PM
Up to me would be a luxury car (especially a big luxury sedan) with a higher MSRP. But I can certainly understand the desire to have a more economical, modern car.

caddycruiser
03-08-08, 11:14 PM
Up to me would be a luxury car (especially a big luxury sedan) with a higher MSRP. But I can certainly understand the desire to have a more economical, modern car.

Precisely. Luxury is great...but far from what I need or even want. Same with huge size, V8, etc. I have no desire for "that" anymore, at all, other than the showoff factor...and that's not a strong one.

96Fleetwood
03-09-08, 12:09 AM
Won't the interest and higher insurance on the new Malibu make it more costly to own than your Fleetwood :lildevil:

Sell the Fleetwood and get a WB4 Roadmaster wagon! ;)

caddycruiser
03-09-08, 12:14 AM
Won't the interest and higher insurance on the new Malibu make it more costly to own than your Fleetwood :lildevil:

Sell the Fleetwood and get a WB4 Roadmaster wagon! ;)

Well...the new Malibu thought is not something that would be immediate or a replacement for the Fleetwood should I sell it soon. Moreso, something purchased again in the $5k cash range...and probably late 90's would be the ticket. That new-new car would be a later move...in time to come.

As for the WB4...yeah, right;) Like your GS, trust me, it's passed my mind...but that's even more of a boat and lacks that Cadillac zing.

Back to the topic...how is that SS Roadie wagon now? Any maintenance or small mods you're already tackling?

96Fleetwood
03-09-08, 12:31 AM
Wagon is just sitting in the driveway until I sell the sedan. I have ordered all the parts to get it up to my standards. It is going to the exhaust shop on Tuesday and new tires installed on Wed. I will post pics when I am done with it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-08, 03:45 AM
Well...the new Malibu thought is not something that would be immediate or a replacement for the Fleetwood should I sell it soon. Moreso, something purchased again in the $5k cash range...and probably late 90's would be the ticket. ?

COUGH*GS/GTP*COUGH

:D :D ;)

caddycruiser
03-09-08, 10:57 AM
COUGH*GS/GTP*COUGH

:D :D ;)

Had that thought last night while posting about this...and even though, technically, better economy than the current titanic, still a lot of power, premium gas, and a little much. Then again, I'm also thinking a regular 3.8L is still too much as well.

I have a thing for light, zippy 4-cylinders more and more, but am thinking about several things.

caddycruiser
03-09-08, 10:58 AM
Wagon is just sitting in the driveway until I sell the sedan. I have ordered all the parts to get it up to my standards. It is going to the exhaust shop on Tuesday and new tires installed on Wed. I will post pics when I am done with it!

Cool. I know exactly what you mean by your standards, and it should hopefully be a great car. Maybe even will hang around like the Fleetwood...since it's finally like what you've ultimately wanted all along.

What color/trim is the inside? Is it a Limited or a base?

96Fleetwood
03-09-08, 12:56 PM
It is a non Limited, I do not think they made Limited wagons until 1996.

The interior is tan leather. I am spicing it up by going with a tan/black theme. I already did the steering wheel in two tone tan/black leather and the door pulls I did in Black.

I am going for a two tone Black/Tan dash and armrests next, then maybe Black carpet as well.

:cool2:

caddycruiser
03-09-08, 11:26 PM
It is a non Limited, I do not think they made Limited wagons until 1996.

The interior is tan leather. I am spicing it up by going with a tan/black theme. I already did the steering wheel in two tone tan/black leather and the door pulls I did in Black.

I am going for a two tone Black/Tan dash and armrests next, then maybe Black carpet as well.

:cool2:

Wow, what a combo--tan and not blue or red:thumbsup:

And yep, they made Limited wagons both '95 and '96 after the changeover that got rid of the last old seats, mirrors, and head units still used in the '94s. Basically, the smooth, flat seats vs. the tufted variety that was used for all years of Roadmasters, in base models.

An all black WB4 with tan leather...now even I want one of those. Well, in a world with a lot of space, time for hobby cars, and the cash to fill them with gas:cool2:

Now that the Suburban is gone.....hah, no, not going to happen;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-09-08, 11:32 PM
Ok, so you want a peppy four cylinder econocar, but that doesn't mean you can't still have a fun to drive car.

Here are my suggestions, depending on price....

Late model:
Cobalt SS Supercharged.

Few years older:
98+ Prelude Si
95-98 Talon TSi
95-99 Eclipse GST/GSX

Much older:
90-94 Laser Turbo
90-94 Eclipse GS-T/GSX
90-94 Talon TSi
xx-94(?) Porsche 944

Who says you can't have fun with a four banger? :D

codewize
03-09-08, 11:50 PM
PM Sent

My '95 Fleetwood would be perfect for you...fabulous exterior and interior (still one of the best I've seen on these cars), gorgeous and still modern color combo, SS wheels with Deville caps as the main "mod", but also meant and used for regular daily driving in reliable style--but still to the level it can be a weekend, hobby, and even (with little effort) a fun and affordable show piece. 131k largely garaged and well kept miles, cleaned weekly, etc...yet not afraid to be driven anywhere in anything.

It will be for sale before long...if I ever get the time to legitimately finish brushing up a few details (full re-detail, painting a trim piece, etc.). I love it to death and know I'll never be able to find another like it (I'm always looking...and wow have the pickings become thin lately), but oh well.

caddycruiser
03-10-08, 12:58 AM
Ok, so you want a peppy four cylinder econocar, but that doesn't mean you can't still have a fun to drive car.

Here are my suggestions, depending on price....

Late model:
Cobalt SS Supercharged.

Few years older:
98+ Prelude Si
95-98 Talon TSi
95-99 Eclipse GST/GSX

Much older:
90-94 Laser Turbo
90-94 Eclipse GS-T/GSX
90-94 Talon TSi
xx-94(?) Porsche 944

Who says you can't have fun with a four banger? :D

Getting the idea...but now those are too small, and too "sport".

I should start a new thread...but then will never leave:thumbsup:

PM Sent

And sent back...and the response sent back again;)

Night Wolf
03-10-08, 03:16 AM
Getting the idea...but now those are too small, and too "sport".

I should start a new thread...but then will never leave:thumbsup:

And sent back...and the response sent back again;)

SRT-4?

I like 4cyl..... does the same job for me as the 8cyl...... those 4 cylinders can do pretty awesome things when you've got 4wd and low range :)

96Fleetwood
03-10-08, 09:55 AM
Wow, I have never owned a 4 cylinder.. I have dated girls who have. I love how the A/C will make the RPMs drop :histeric:

I hope Derek's Fleetwood stays in the family! If not, I will have to buy it.

caddycruiser
03-10-08, 08:12 PM
Wow, I have never owned a 4 cylinder.. I have dated girls who have. I love how the A/C will make the RPMs drop :histeric:

Hey, did you not have a 1.8T VW Passat a few years back:hmm:

That said, still too small guys, and I'd never go Fleetwood to Neon, etc. But then again, not perfectly sure what I would either.

Still not 110% on selling...but diligently working on making sure it goes to the RIGHT home when and if I do. I think I am, but really need to find some time (geez....) to go out and hit some lots for some drives.

That said, whew, what a nice ride today soaring at 75-85 like nothing in the beast on my travel back to PA. Even likely due for a basic tune-up, etc., the LT1 continues to impress. Well, that, and did you know you can easily haul 8ft long boards and pipe in a Fleetwood? Never tried it till today, and fine as usual, in addition to my usual trunk and back seat load of stuff.

I'd go "too much stuff" nuts with one of these titanics as a wagon...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 08:14 PM
I'm trying to think of a four cyl midsized sedan that's got plenty of power and is fun to drive.... All I can think of is 1.8T and 2.0T Audis and VW's.

96Fleetwood
03-10-08, 08:25 PM
Haha, I totally forgot about the Passat. That thing was fast though, I had it modded with the K04 turbo and GHL turbo back... didn't feel like a 4 cyl and did not make good gas mileage either. I autox'd the heck out of that car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 08:52 PM
Basically the only way I'd ever take a I-4, atleast by my own willing, is by having either a forced induction setup or some crazy high revving DOHC setup that makes great power from variable valve timing or something like that.

Derek, I hear those 2.5L Altimas are pretty spunky. Some of the quickest cars for under $25k IIRC.

jey
03-10-08, 11:51 PM
Sounds a turbo Volvo wagon is what you're looking for then. You can pick up a 90s model within the $5000 budget. Gas mileage will probably be no better than my own daily driver flat-4 turbo wagon though... but still a bit better than the Fleetwood :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 11:55 PM
What sort of Volvo's did a turbo go into?

Or how about a Saab 9-3/9-5? Fun, funky, fast..... :)

jey
03-11-08, 12:04 AM
Volvo has had a long history of turbo motors - even in the 80s with the 240 wagon, and then in the 90s with the 740, 850, 940, V70, just about every wagon had a turbo option. The 850 has a top speed of 160 mph with the governor removed...

96Fleetwood
03-11-08, 12:05 AM
My modded 1.8 Turbo 5 speed Passat got horrible gas mileage.. but then again it was spiking 18 pounds of boost daily and seeing redline quite often.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-08, 12:06 AM
Turbocharged Swedish cars interest me.... And I know literally nothing about them... So much to learn, so little time.....

caddycruiser
03-11-08, 02:01 AM
Interesting ideas fellas;)

And some I've considered, at one time or another. Still am not sure of what criteria I really, truly want...but have an idea. Right now it's just smaller, more modern, more efficient, and practical. The point of "hmm" is the cool or fun factor. Given that I loved an '07 Malibu rental, I don't think either is, technically, too high on the list, hah...

There is one car that I've looked at for a long time, and keep coming back to. And it is even a wagon...

Night Wolf
03-11-08, 03:43 AM

thats funny tho cause crankin the heack out of the A/C in the Isuzu didn't do a darn thing to engine RPM... well the computer would bump it up an extra 300RPM.... but most of all, it really didn't affect engine power... odd... on the Town Car it takes a noticeable about of engine power away.

As for fun to drive 4cyl family sedans... I always heard the 90's Mazda 626 with manual trans were really good.... heard the trans in those was nice... I thought about one in the past.

My friend in NY used to have an '01 Jetta 1.8T with a manual, now he has a '99 Saab 9-5, the turbo 4cyl and manual.... He likes the Saab alot better, says it feels more solid and like a real car whereas the Jetta was a toy. I was pretty surprised at all the features and options the Saab had, and it was pretty roomy inside, not to mention it seems to be a bit more upscale then the Jetta. He's been really happy with it. Says though that both cars seemed to average around 24-26mpg... just seems low to me for a 4cyl, ah well.

96Fleetwood
03-11-08, 09:02 AM
Those turbo cars will burn gas like crazy if you drive aggressive. I think I was making 14 mpg in the city in my 1.8T Passat.

My Roadmaster sedan is making 15 mpg in the city with all the mods and my wagon is making almost 18 mpg in the city.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-11-08, 12:41 PM
Hey 96Fleetwood, this is gonna sound creepy, but do you live just off Belmont near 63rd? I was riding the bus to school today and half-daydreaming (it was 6:50 in the morning) and I just happened to glance out and see a house with an Impala wagon and a Roadmaster in the driveway. I did a double take and thought "Those look familiar."

96Fleetwood
03-11-08, 01:30 PM
Hey 96Fleetwood, this is gonna sound creepy, but do you live just off Belmont near 63rd? I was riding the bus to school today and half-daydreaming (it was 6:50 in the morning) and I just happened to glance out and see a house with an Impala wagon and a Roadmaster in the driveway. I did a double take and thought "Those look familiar."

Yep, that is my house. Where do you live? There are two bus stops almost in front of my house. The little kiddies get scared when I start the sedan up ;)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-11-08, 01:37 PM
The little kiddies get scared when I start the sedan up ;)

Haha. I live on MacArthur Dr. in Woodridge, near Hobson pool, but I take the bus all the way to Downers North. I bet I'm the only one here (besides you of course) so see your cars in person. :yup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-08, 01:44 PM
I've seen them.

96Fleetwood
03-11-08, 01:49 PM
Yeah, actually some of the guys who came to the Chicago meet last month saw my cars ;)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-11-08, 02:42 PM
damn

caddycruiser
03-11-08, 02:56 PM
...now he has a '99 Saab 9-5, the turbo 4cyl and manual.... He likes the Saab alot better, says it feels more solid and like a real car whereas the Jetta was a toy. I was pretty surprised at all the features and options the Saab had, and it was pretty roomy inside, not to mention it seems to be a bit more upscale then the Jetta. He's been really happy with it. Says though that both cars seemed to average around 24-26mpg... just seems low to me for a 4cyl, ah well.

I really like those, and would more, were it not for the risk of service issues and problems, which seem too common. Actually, that kind of a "thing" is the deal with a lot of more recent vehicles, just due to complexity, especially when European.

Yeah, actually some of the guys who came to the Chicago meet last month saw my cars ;)

And I almost did, had I not gotten sick the day I was to come down and meet you and Ralph in VA beach. Still kicking myself for that one:rolleyes:

Then again, I have recently talked with a co-worker who's moving back to Chicago from DE, about flying out there for a weekend visit. Never know...

96Fleetwood
03-11-08, 03:12 PM
Then again, I have recently talked with a co-worker who's moving back to Chicago from DE, about flying out there for a weekend visit. Never know...

Cool, let me know, we will meet up.

jey
03-11-08, 04:00 PM
I really like those, and would more, were it not for the risk of service issues and problems, which seem too common. Actually, that kind of a "thing" is the deal with a lot of more recent vehicles, just due to complexity, especially when European.

I've always wondered whether these import cars are fundamentally money pits or if they're just like any other car - you own it for a while and learn to service it and it can be reliable transportation even as the car ages.

My Subaru seems to be living up to the rally-car durability/reliability as designed - and now that I've had it for over 5 years I know my way around it pretty well service-wise. As a daily driver I'm not afraid of putting miles on it at all. Being a 4-cylinder AWD wagon it's about as practical as practical gets for that sort of car - until we threw a turbo motor into it. Now it's just fast and practical in a different way :lol:

jr_vette
03-11-08, 07:11 PM
Now that's a grocery getter!

caddycruiser
03-11-08, 07:22 PM
I've always wondered whether these import cars are fundamentally money pits or if they're just like any other car - you own it for a while and learn to service it and it can be reliable transportation even as the car ages.

My Subaru seems to be living up to the rally-car durability/reliability as designed - and now that I've had it for over 5 years I know my way around it pretty well service-wise. As a daily driver I'm not afraid of putting miles on it at all. Being a 4-cylinder AWD wagon it's about as practical as practical gets for that sort of car - until we threw a turbo motor into it. Now it's just fast and practical in a different way :lol:

Some definitely have more issues than others and can be more costly to fix (particularly a lot of European based models), but overall, a lot is due to simply old age and miles...as would be with any car.

But still a great consideration, and one you have to look into--but not too much so--if buying something used, because online and other reviews can really sway. Mostly true and honest, though.

Now that's a grocery getter!

Yes...for sure!

96Fleetwood
03-11-08, 08:33 PM
I love it! Today I had to ship out some Borla exhaust pipes, set of 4 18 inch tires, and I had some 9C1 wheels in the back I was taking to get refinished.

All of that fit without any issues and I got many thumbs up on the way! I even had a guy in a LS2 GTO try and race me...:bigroll:

caddycruiser
03-11-08, 10:50 PM
I love it! Today I had to ship out some Borla exhaust pipes, set of 4 18 inch tires, and I had some 9C1 wheels in the back I was taking to get refinished.

All of that fit without any issues and I got many thumbs up on the way! I even had a guy in a LS2 GTO try and race me...:bigroll:

Hah, great!

I myself had some weird looks yesterday (no tinting...) while traveling with a few 8ft 2x4's and some railing resting from dash to back window, but still no comparison for the open "box" of a wagon.

Probably what we'll miss the most about the Suburban, now that it has been replaced by a Malibu. Oh well, that's what U-Haul rentals are for;)

96Fleetwood
03-22-08, 09:12 PM
I got the wagon back from the shop yesterday. I had bought a Borla sedan exhaust (14504) and had it mated to the wagon over the axle pipes & resonators.

It sounds pretty good, not loud or obnoxious but it lets you know it is there. I might delete the resonators later on, but not sure yet.

Decided to go with the Borla because I have been happy with it in the Fleetwood.

Here is a brief sound clip:

YouTube - 1995 Roadmaster "SS" Wagon w/ Borla exhaust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2EB_GctNRM)

The wagon also got a full tune up, fuel filter, all new fluids. Runs great now, much more power. It was on the original plugs and wires with 116K miles.

Also put Monroe SS shocks in the front and Bilstein HD shocks in the rear with new Heavy duty springs. Disabled the level ride.

Put new 255/55/17 Michelin Pilot MXM tires and new window rollers.

Still have to clay bar & wax her before I can snap some pics and show her off. Overall I love it! It is making 17.2 mpg in the city and gets attention everywhere I drive it. The dogs love the room in the back, and I love being able to take all my eBay sale packages to fedex with so much room to spare.

Take care,
Elias

caddycruiser
03-22-08, 09:34 PM
Even as I still want to sell mine...love that mean black wagon.

Seems like you've finally gotten a keeper, and I'm impressed even more...especially hearing 17mpg city. Wow...well, as much wow as mileage in the teens can be;)

Proper tires, exhaust, tune-up, it's all coming together!

96Fleetwood
03-25-08, 05:50 PM
Had the day off today and the temps were in the high 40s (went up to 60) in the morning so I started working on the wagon. Finally finished a complete detail.. whew, glad I didn't work out this morning.

A few pics:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9231.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9235.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9239.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9242.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9243.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9244.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9230.jpg

I think this wagon is a keeper ;)

Take care,
Elias

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-08, 05:52 PM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9244.jpg

I was there.

Cadillacboy
03-25-08, 06:19 PM
Superb cars
:thumbsup:
The wagon looks no smaller than the Fleetwood lol

96Fleetwood
03-25-08, 07:05 PM
Thanks! Actually the Fleetwood is longer if you take into account the front and rear bumperettes!

caddycruiser
03-25-08, 10:54 PM
Awesome, and PERFECT photos:thumbsup:

96Fleetwood
03-26-08, 09:23 AM
I want to get the plate the previous owner had: "GIANT SS"

Here is a picture a friend of mine took last night (My clear corners arrived yesterday afternoon):

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/2363435476_9795862309.jpg

:thumbsup: