: Oil Under The Beauty Cover

aamusls06
03-04-08, 01:50 PM
I'm finding oil under my beauty cover for my 1994 Caddy SLS. It's not alot, but it's there and it's fresh. It seems that the cam cover gasket may need to be replaced. Previous owner told me that they had been taken off before, and my assumption is that they didn't replace the gaskets when they removed them. What do you guys think?

tateos
03-04-08, 02:12 PM
Where under the beauty cover? That is a pretty big area...

aamusls06
03-04-08, 02:21 PM
Where under the beauty cover? That is a pretty big area...

Seems to be blown out, so it's everywhere...around the fuel injectors, on top of the intake. Pretty much every area that meets the eye...lol

Submariner409
03-04-08, 03:45 PM
Is the hose on the PCV tit on the front of the passenger side cam cover ?

Crown Vic Owner
03-04-08, 03:57 PM
does any oil go through the intake mani? I dont know these motors mecahnically very well but i have seen motors that have oil.

Submariner409
03-04-08, 04:07 PM
No. The intake manifold is plastic/fiberglass composition. It's called Marelon.

aamusls06
03-04-08, 04:36 PM
Yep. Doing a little research on here from a previous thread, it said that the oil may come from built up carbon in the motor, but I run the hell out of mines and burn Chevron 93 all the time. It was saying that there is a cleaning method for it, but I would think that you would be able to blow all that carbon out by now. I bought my Caddy from a old guy in 2006(70 years+), and she runs great. I mean the oil isn't really harming anything, but I would like to know why it's there.

tateos
03-04-08, 04:44 PM
So the oil is OUTSIDE the intake manifold, right?

aamusls06
03-04-08, 04:55 PM
So the oil is OUTSIDE the intake manifold, right?

I've seen a little inside the intake manifold, but not as much that is outside of it. I witnessed this when I installed my Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Ranger
03-04-08, 07:25 PM
First off, you do not have a "beauty cover". On your engine that cover is actually a functional intake manifold cover.

Not exactly sure where you are seeing this oil on the outside, but the stuff on the inside is normal. It is crankcase gases supplied by the PCV valve. If you keep the oil level topped off to the MAX line, it is exacerbate this.