: Dual Mass flywheel question

GUNRDY
03-03-08, 09:23 PM
Normally I pride myself on being auto savy. But this time I don't have any idea what a dual mass flywheel is. What the hell is this is difference from a normal flywheel?

Also I have a LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel, pressure plate, Z06 slave cylinder and throw out bearing, and a remote clutch bleeder kit from LAPD. Will any of these translate to an 04 V?

They're all new in the box, I was going to replace the stock clutch on my vette but I sold it and I have these parts left over.

Ak Jim
03-04-08, 01:58 AM
the dual mass flywheel weighs 50 PBS. It quiets gear noise from the transmission. It also slows engine response. Get UUC ltwt flywheel. It is the single best mod you can do!

rand49er
03-04-08, 06:08 AM
I believe, like it states, that there're two rotating masses linked by springs between them. You "feel" the first mass initially until the springs compress then the second mass' effect is also felt. This is as distinct from a single (equivalent) mass where the entire effect of it's rotational inertia is felt immediately. The springs soften the effect or spread it out a bit.

Well, that's my rather rough take on it anyway. :hide:

blow03ss
03-04-08, 06:40 AM
Call Katech and get the spacer needed for the slave. Then you can install your clutch set up you have, its well worth it.

Naf
03-04-08, 09:01 AM
Read my last LS7 thread, i have the pn for a new slave where you dont need a spacer...Save the weight...

Rey
03-04-08, 02:14 PM
Actually, the dual mass flywheels are "linked" by a flexible material like rubber or composit that is designed to cushion the shock of clutch engagement. Picture two flywheels with about 1/2 inch space between them. In my opinion a dual mass is a hype by its German manufacturer Luc. It is most useful on heavy machinery, but Mercedes, BMW and VW have it so it must be good for a Caddy so reasons GM. GM tried it for one year on Corvettes and dropped it. A better alternative is the typical American clutch disc which has springs to handle abrupt clutch engagement.

rand49er
03-04-08, 03:34 PM
Actually, the dual mass flywheels are "linked" by a flexible material like rubber or composit that is designed to cushion the shock of clutch engagement. Picture two flywheels with about 1/2 inch space between them. In my opinion a dual mass is a hype by its German manufacturer Luc. It is most useful on heavy machinery, but Mercedes, BMW and VW have it so it must be good for a Caddy so reasons GM. GM tried it for one year on Corvettes and dropped it. A better alternative is the typical American clutch disc which has springs to handle abrupt clutch engagement.Rey probably knows what he's talkin' about better than I ... pay no attention to my post above. :hide:

The Tony Show
03-04-08, 03:40 PM
Dual flywheel with unsprung clutch disc = smooth but heavy

Single flywheel and Clutch disc with springs = smooth AND light

trukk
03-04-08, 03:42 PM
Actually, the dual mass flywheels are "linked" by a flexible material like rubber or composit that is designed to cushion the shock of clutch engagement. Picture two flywheels with about 1/2 inch space between them. In my opinion a dual mass is a hype by its German manufacturer Luc. It is most useful on heavy machinery, but Mercedes, BMW and VW have it so it must be good for a Caddy so reasons GM. GM tried it for one year on Corvettes and dropped it. A better alternative is the typical American clutch disc which has springs to handle abrupt clutch engagement.

Rey, you forgot to mention TPiS, it's in your Caddy Forums, user agreement. :D j/k

Just to let everyone know, in addition to Katech, TPiS also makes a spacer.

-Chris

GUNRDY
03-04-08, 09:36 PM
Rey probably knows what he's talkin' about better than I ... pay no attention to my post above. :hide:

No problem, I probably couldn't have done much better if I guessed:thumbsup:

I can see why everyone on here raves about the UUC flywheel. I hope a clutch swap in the V is alot easier than in a Vette. I guess I will hold on to the parts I have and swap them out one of these days.

Now one final question, will the UUC flywheel work with an LS7 clutch setup? assuming I am using the slave cylinder Naf suggests?

Once again thanks you guys for all the help.