: Stereo Question- Aftermarket CD player

tgeorge34
03-03-08, 09:27 PM
Ok...Looking to put an Alpine touch screen/cd player in my dash. I went to a couple places...NO, not Best Buy or Circuit City, where I thought I could get some honest answers. :alchi:
Well, at least on of the places is lying or they are just stupid. I have BOSE, so I know that makes a difference, and one guy said I would have to rewire all my speakers. :want: Another said there is an adapter I can use, but I was quoted $200.:hmm:
WHO is right? But don't BOSE speakers run at 1ohm and normal speakers run at 4ohm. Does the adapter fix this too?

What have you guys done?? Anybody try putting a shallow mount aftermarket sub in the stock location??

Max-Q
03-04-08, 12:04 AM
I put an Alpine W200 in my 2003 Escalade last spring. I bought the HU off ebay and saved a ton of money. I bought the wiring harness from Crutchfield along with the mounting hardware.

I did everything myself and there were no problems or issues at all. I am still using the stock Bose amp, wires and speakers. It all sounds great.

I priced the entire system with install at Ultimate Electronics for $1,500 and I was able to do it myself for less than $800.

CaddieJapan
03-04-08, 12:25 AM
depending on yr, the adapters vary

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-O1HYwHLVnFH/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=120GMOS04 (2003 -)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-O1HYwHLVnFH/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=127OS1BOSE (2002 yr)

boomerang
03-04-08, 10:45 AM
This is really a piece of cake.
Check out Metra and/or PAC. You can find both websites and both have their items sold on eBay everyday. Especially for the '03 to current models, they pretty much have adapters for everything automotive A/V.
You're gonna need a Bose w/Onstar retain module and a steering wheel control retain module as well as a dash kit (to hold the Alpine unit in place in the dash) and a wiring harness (to wire into to the Alpine pigtail so it plugs directly into your Cadillac wiring harness)...available from these companies.
Their R&D guys will be in our plant today to check out the 12V (12 volt) system on the SMART ForTwo (or whatever they call it). They're making sure they have what's needed to upgrade the Smart A/V sytems as soon as they start getting calls for the accessories. They always want to be ahead of the curve and ready for the sell!!!
Hope this helps...

producerman
03-04-08, 03:44 PM
I have Kenwood HU with nav, Sirius, bluetooth and works and sounds awesome with facotry Bose system in my 05 ESV with the adaptor.

The steering wheel controls do not work but I do not miss them as you use the remote most of the time anyway or touch the screen.

I do miss the Onstar so am getting the proper hook ups to make it work.

I asked my stereo store the same question regarding sub in the stock location in the back and they said it would fit now problem.

Hope this helps.

Ebay is where to get the a HU you do really save$$$$.

DLE
03-04-08, 04:21 PM
I would have to agree, ebay is the best place to get a HU. It saved me over $300 for my Kenwood DDX8017 in my wifes 2002 Escalade. :thumbsup:

producerman
03-04-08, 04:25 PM
DLE

Sent you an email. Hope you do not mind need some input from you.

Thanks

Producerman

*exalade99*
03-03-09, 12:44 AM
Question though...when you put in a aftermaket player will you lose your rear audio controls for the back seat?

Lu Scola
03-03-09, 10:44 PM
For those of you with aftermarket units. The company PAC makes adaptors that will allow you to keep your steering wheel s controls. For pioneer units the part is PAC SWI-PS. Look on the PAC website to find the part for your HU.

*exalade99*
03-03-09, 11:32 PM
For those of you with aftermarket units. The company PAC makes adaptors that will allow you to keep your steering wheel s controls..

would this also keep the rear auido controls?

Lu Scola
03-04-09, 12:08 AM
It can be done but a very experienced installer would have to do the job, and it may not be worth the cost of the labor involved.