: 2002 Escalade EXT

mtwalet
03-03-08, 04:52 PM
I have owned my truck for 4 years. It had under 9k miles on it in 2004 and now has 25k miles on it. In 2004 I took the truck to the stealership and inquired about an annoying 'farting' noise the truck made on each key cycle. Sometimes the noise was a chattering farting noise that sounds like a sick goose honking. I was told the truck was doing a self check of the anti-lock brake system and that the noise was normal on each key cycle when the vehicle was put in motion. Yet I have yet to hear that noise from any other GM truck/SUV. I cringe when a service department tells me something like this is normal.

Lately the truck seems to have a constant pull to the right. Bear in mind the front has never been curbed. If I let go of the steering wheel, it wastes no time finding the right shoulder of the road. If I point the front end to the left, it still returns to it's walk to the left. On the straight run about 40mph or so and barely touching the steering wheel I barely tap the brakes and the wheel ever so slightly jumps to the right. Would it be possible that I may be having a brake hanging up constantly? I haven't inspected the pads yet to compare them with the left front, but was just wondering if anyone else may have experienced this scenario.

So I guess I have two issues. THE NOISE and THE PULL. I have rotated the tires (which has EVEN tread across) and made sure the pressure is even. No difference. I am planning on dumping the crappy Goodyears and installing some new Michelins and having the front end aligned just for the hell of it.

Any help??

Thanks

hcvone
03-03-08, 05:26 PM
Well I have owned over 35 GM cars/trucks and never heard my anti locks making any noise at start up, I would check all pads male sure there is not one hanging up, and find a new dealership. :)

Rolex
03-03-08, 10:02 PM
I have owned my truck for 4 years. It had under 9k miles on it in 2004 and now has 25k miles on it. In 2004 I took the truck to the stealership and inquired about an annoying 'farting' noise the truck made on each key cycle. Sometimes the noise was a chattering farting noise that sounds like a sick goose honking. I was told the truck was doing a self check of the anti-lock brake system and that the noise was normal on each key cycle when the vehicle was put in motion. Yet I have yet to hear that noise from any other GM truck/SUV. I cringe when a service department tells me something like this is normal.

I often hear a farting noise in the cabin of my vehicle. This noise is indeed normal...but not emitted from the vehicle per say. :hide:

Lately the truck seems to have a constant pull to the right. Bear in mind the front has never been curbed. If I let go of the steering wheel, it wastes no time finding the right shoulder of the road. If I point the front end to the left, it still returns to it's walk to the left. On the straight run about 40mph or so and barely touching the steering wheel I barely tap the brakes and the wheel ever so slightly jumps to the right. Would it be possible that I may be having a brake hanging up constantly? I haven't inspected the pads yet to compare them with the left front, but was just wondering if anyone else may have experienced this scenario.

So I guess I have two issues. THE NOISE and THE PULL. I have rotated the tires (which has EVEN tread across) and made sure the pressure is even. No difference. I am planning on dumping the crappy Goodyears and installing some new Michelins and having the front end aligned just for the hell of it.

Any help??

Thanks

You have already tried the most common solution. More often then not Goodyear tires (named so because they're only good for a year) go bad and create the pull on the front end. I have wasted more money unnecessarily having the front end aligned on vehicles only to find it didn't fix the problem.
Rotating the tires is the usually the fix.

I would suggest you use your judgement. If your Goodyear tires are nearing the end of their life you may want to think about dumping them and adding some quality rubber. I would replace the factory rubber with Michelin LTX M/S or Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs if you're staying with the factory wheels. I have always had great luck with those tires and they wear exceptionally well when rotated every other oil change. Their ride is better than the factory junk and they're quiet. The get outstanding wet and dry traction, and fair very well in light snow.

The front end alignment may still need to be done. In my case I really needed it one time....after allowing my wife to drive my Escalade for day. :thepan:

CaddieJapan
03-04-08, 01:27 AM
Agreed, could be tires, alignment, and have them chem check rotors/brakes while theyre off.

mtwalet
03-04-08, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will indeed drag out my paperwork showing the dealership note of 'normal' on the anti-lock. I remember thinking back then that if I could hear it, certainly others could too. I have a friend who has an Avalanche and if his does the cycle, you can't hear it.

I think it's time for a 1 on 1 with the service manager and ask him to show me the 'tech bulletin' from GM that says it's normal.

I will replace the tires with Michelins. Current tires have 6-7 32's even tread on all of them. Maybe good for a farm wagon/farm truck, or someone who can't afford tires.

Again, if anyone else has experienced the 'noise', I'd like to hear about it.

Rolex.............GOOD ANSWER! :yup:

TSS
03-04-08, 01:48 PM
I did have a vehicle that made that noise and was told the same thing. Problem, I have no idea what past vehicle it was,,,,,, :o

It may have been my 01 Tahoe, which would at least be consistent with your vehicle. It was a muffled fart, not really loud if I recall.

csmooth79
03-04-08, 10:16 PM
I can attest to the noise, it is the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve and ABS system cycling through its test. My truck did this for 6 mos and then would show the stability system disabled light. Had to have the BPMV and Abs computer replaced. The noise did not go away, just got shorter and brought up with shop foreman, service mgr, and GMPP analyst guy and they all said it was normal.

mtwalet
03-05-08, 09:39 AM
I can attest to the noise, it is the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve and ABS system cycling through its test. My truck did this for 6 mos and then would show the stability system disabled light. Had to have the BPMV and Abs computer replaced. The noise did not go away, just got shorter and brought up with shop foreman, service mgr, and GMPP analyst guy and they all said it was normal.

Sounds similar to the story I got. Hmmmmmmmm :hmm: