: Oil pressure light

ames
03-03-08, 04:15 PM
My oil presure light go on and off. Carried it in to have checked and was told that it was probably the sensor - checked sensor it is ok and changed oil. After that sensor came on and said cut off motor which I did and now the light comes on and goes off. What is going on - mechanic said he saw nothing wrong

Submariner409
03-03-08, 04:32 PM
Which model? What year? How many miles? What weight oil ?

Some Cadillacs have had problems with oil pressure sending switches/flickering lights at hot idle, particularly during the summer in traffic, but there's really nothing wrong with the pressure, it's the switch.

The only true way to verify oil pressure is to temporarily insert a pipe T in the pressure switch fitting and use a real honest-to-gosh mechanical pressure gauge. Somewhat of a bitch, but electrical gauges are nothing more than a damped idiot light. If you like the mechanical gauge, install one. Not a terribly hard job. Just don't use nylon capillary. Use copper.

Ranger
03-03-08, 07:02 PM
mechanic said he saw nothing wrong
You can't see a bad switch. Short of using Subs method, I'd replace it.

smooththg6969
03-04-08, 05:04 PM
I have that Problem too But I know the cause of it check the wires going to the oil pressure switch/sender and make shure ther not getting burned by the exhaust manifold.

Tommy Deville
03-06-08, 12:09 AM
Where is the oil pressure switch located??

Submariner409
03-06-08, 11:27 AM
On the oil filter adapter.