: 10,000 Miles and Counting on Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Oil Filter on 2007 Escalade...

GM-4-LIFE
03-03-08, 01:09 PM
I just wanted to report that the last time we changed the oil in our 2007 Escalade was back on August 30, 2007 and since then, we have clocked 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 5W30 Truck & SUV Formula teamed up with Mobil 1's Extended Performance Oil Filter.

I check the oil condition and level every thousand miles and the oil is dark (Mobil 1 is natually darker than conventional oils out of the bottle), but nowhere near black. The engine hasn't consumed any oil in 10,000 miles, so that is a great sign.

The oil life monitor has already cycled through one time and I reset it so I wouldn't have to keep looking at the "change engine oil soon" message and it is now down to 79% oil life remaining.

I have to say that I am very surprised because I have heard that Mobil 1 combined with a Mobil 1 oil filter will go 10,000 to 15,000 miles before needing to be changed, but I have never experienced it firsthand. It is cheap insurance to run Mobil 1 with the Mobil 1 oil filter and you don't have to change it out that often.

I don't know when I am going to change it, but I will keep checking the condition of the oil every thousand miles or so. Once it is black, I will know it's time. I guess the Mobil 1 oil filter does a great job of filtering.

SG

hcvone
03-03-08, 01:42 PM
I just got my new Amsoil shipment, their new sig oil is good for 35k between changes :suspect:, I will go to once a year but no longer. :)

GM-4-LIFE
03-03-08, 03:22 PM
I just got my new Amsoil shipment, their new sig oil is good for 35k between changes :suspect:, I will go to once a year but no longer. :)

I would never go that long without changing the oil. 15K is probably the most I would go. Besides Amsoil oil and filters are way too expensive for me to spend on a leased vehicle. If I owned my vehicles, I would switch over to Amsoil in a second. I have about 6 months left on my 2007 Escalade lease before I order a 2009 Escalade.

Thanks for the info Carl! You are hands down the best!

SG

airhammer
03-03-08, 04:03 PM
You're right about Mobile 1 going 10k. I have my oil tested when it's changed. It only costs $20 and the report will tell you how your oil is holding up and more importantly how your internal engine wear is going compared to other same engines in their data base. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ These oil analysis histories helped me sell my previous truck quickly. It's hard to know what to make of an 8 year old engine beyond a compression check but with the oil analysis histories you can prove how well you have maintained it.

GM-4-LIFE
03-03-08, 04:09 PM
You're right about Mobile 1 going 10k. I have my oil tested when it's changed. It only costs $20 and the report will tell you how your oil is holding up and more importantly how your internal engine wear is going compared to other same engines in their data base. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ These oil analysis histories helped me sell my previous truck quickly. It's hard to know what to make of an 8 year old engine beyond a compression check but with the oil analysis histories you can prove how well you have maintained it.

Great info! Thank you. How long did you go with Mobil 1 before you had to change it? Better question is what did the labs say the best mileage interval to change the oil out at based on their analysis? What oil filter did you use? I am having great results with the Mobil 1 oil, but only when using it with a Mobil 1 oil filter that is specifically designed for longer service intervals in mind.

SG

airhammer
03-03-08, 05:06 PM
I went 9k on my last mobile 1 oil change, SG. I don't know what brand filter the quicklube place installed but I'll be checking that next time. The last time I changed oil was in an F150 with 160k on it with moderate use and occasional towing. The lube place didn't want to top me off when I went in at 6k, tried to push me for an oil change. I told them that mobile one would go 10k. They didn't believe it till I should them the previous oil analysis report. Then they added my free quart of Mobile 1. I don't fit their business model, too bad. I don't fit credit card companies business models either.

The test report won't tell you how long you can go but it will tell you how well your oil and engine internals are doing at the time of the change. See sample report which shows engine wear analysis based on the various metals found in the oil (top section) and oil analysis based on viscosity, flashpoint, insolubles, etc. (bottom section) http://www.blackstone-labs.com/eng_balloon_report_.html.

I haven't had my first EXT oil change yet but plan to around 10k.

Les

hcvone
03-03-08, 06:39 PM
I sell a ton of 55 gallon drums of Amsoil to a trucking company that runs the oil thru two of the largest oil filters I have ever seen on trucks, they get their oil analyzed every month, they run the oil for well over 50k miles per truck, they claim to be saving thousands on dollars a year on oil and engine rebuilds.

hcvone
03-03-08, 06:40 PM
I would never go that long without changing the oil. 15K is probably the most I would go. Besides Amsoil oil and filters are way too expensive for me to spend on a leased vehicle. If I owned my vehicles, I would switch over to Amsoil in a second. I have about 6 months left on my 2007 Escalade lease before I order a 2009 Escalade.

SG

You change the oil on lease cars/trucks??????

GM-4-LIFE
03-03-08, 07:12 PM
You change the oil on lease cars/trucks??????

You have to. If something fails and GM can blame it on me for not changing the oil, trust me, they will.

SG

hcvone
03-04-08, 08:25 AM
They would not do that, they are your friends. :hide:

airhammer
03-04-08, 10:02 AM
I sell a ton of 55 gallon drums of Amsoil to a trucking company that runs the oil thru two of the largest oil filters I have ever seen on trucks, they get their oil analyzed every month, they run the oil for well over 50k miles per truck, they claim to be saving thousands on dollars a year on oil and engine rebuilds.

If Amsoil's claims about 35k change intervals are true then I should be able to do the same thing. Just oil test instead of changing oil automatically. Do the owner's or employees of the trucking company do the same thing with their personal vehicles?

hcvone
03-04-08, 01:11 PM
I know one guy with a 2500HD diesel has a dual filter setup that works there, he runs his oil 25k to 30k depending on the oil results, not sure about others.

airhammer
03-04-08, 10:24 PM
Amazing! I think I'm going to try it. Test at 10k then every 5k thereafter. It still feels wrong though. It was a big step for me to go to 9k. Old habits die hard.

sj1400
03-05-08, 12:35 AM
I recall Audi revising the 10k intervals with the 1.8L turbo engine.. The main reason sludge.. I change mine at 5k using Mobil 1. My concern is the filter even with top of the line filters.

THis is the 1st vehicle I've seen which such long intervals on the oil change monitor - especially with the 07's using regular oil.

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-08, 02:48 AM
You should be safe against sludge with Mobil 1. I am going to see how long I can stretch the oil change intervals. The oil is still good and the filter should be too. The Mobil 1 oil filter is designed primarily with Mobil 1 oil in mind, so I should be able to really take this oil a long distance. I agree that the 2007 Escalade can go about 8K miles on conventional oil which to me is way too long. The standard GM filter can't filter more than 5K miles anyways. The 2008 Escalades are supposed to be factory fill with Mobil 1, but I checked a 2008 Escalade not too long ago and the oil cap did NOT say Mobil 1 on it and there was no label under the hood that specified Mobil 1 as the factory fill. Is it in the owner's manual?

SG

hcvone
03-05-08, 08:35 AM
Amazing! I think I'm going to try it. Test at 10k then every 5k thereafter. It still feels wrong though. It was a big step for me to go to 9k. Old habits die hard.

It's is hard because we spent so many years changing the oil every 3k miles.

airhammer
03-05-08, 11:52 AM
Feb 07

For The First Time, Beginning In 2008 Model Year, Mobil 1 Will Be Standard Equipment In Entire Cadillac Lineup

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE2)--ExxonMobil today announced that Mobil 1, the world's leading synthetic motor oil, has been selected by Cadillac as the factory fill motor oil for its 2008 Cadillac Escalade and DTS models, making Mobil 1 standard equipment in every new 2008 Cadillac vehicle that rolls off of the production line.

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-08, 06:50 PM
Feb 07

For The First Time, Beginning In 2008 Model Year, Mobil 1 Will Be Standard Equipment In Entire Cadillac Lineup

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE2)--ExxonMobil today announced that Mobil 1, the world's leading synthetic motor oil, has been selected by Cadillac as the factory fill motor oil for its 2008 Cadillac Escalade and DTS models, making Mobil 1 standard equipment in every new 2008 Cadillac vehicle that rolls off of the production line.

I read the same bulletin on the Mobil 1 website, but as with all Cadillacs, the oil cap should indicate Mobil 1 as the factory fill and the 2008 Escalades do not have anything stamped on the oil cap like they do on the CTS, DTS, STS and V-Series vehicles. Does anyone know if it states Mobil 1 as the factory fill in the 2008 owner's manual?

SG

hcvone
03-06-08, 08:18 AM
My 08' SRX does have a Mobil 1 cap on it, although it really has Amsoil in it. :)

GM-4-LIFE
03-06-08, 12:11 PM
My 08' SRX does have a Mobil 1 cap on it, although it really has Amsoil in it. :)

hcvone (Carl),

I figured as much. I was just wondering why GM/Cadillac would factory fill the 2008 Escalades with Mobil 1 and not install a Mobil 1 oil cap at the factory or at least a label under the hood telling the owner that Mobil 1 is in the crankcase. All other GM vehicles that are factory filled with Mobil 1 at the factory have a clearly marked Mobil 1 emblem on the oil cap like my 2006 CTS-V and my 2007 STS-V. Weird!

SG

hcvone
03-06-08, 01:41 PM
If I get a chance tomorrow before the flood starts I will stop by my local Caddy dealer where our SRX came from and pop the hood on an 08' Escalade and check it out, you can always tell synthetic oil by the smell. :)

GM-4-LIFE
03-06-08, 02:54 PM
If I get a chance tomorrow before the flood starts I will stop by my local Caddy dealer where our SRX came from and pop the hood on an 08' Escalade and check it out, you can always tell synthetic oil by the smell. :)

Very true. I can identify the smell of Mobil 1 from a mile away. It has a very distinct odor. Before you pop the cap, let me know if GM/Cadillac changed the oil caps to say Mobil 1 on it. Maybe they did a late changeover on the oil caps. The 2008 owner's manual would be the best indicator though.

SG

hcvone
03-06-08, 06:25 PM
If they have maybe I can get you one. ;)

GM-4-LIFE
03-07-08, 06:24 PM
If they have maybe I can get you one. ;)

I may have to send you the one off my 2007 Escalade to replace the missing one off the 2008!

SG

hcvone
03-07-08, 07:22 PM
Didn't get there today, too many inches of rain. :(

MRANT212
03-09-08, 01:16 AM
I use Mobil 1 on my Escalade and my Impala SS. I do change though every 7500 miles which may be a bit early. I remember when Mobil 1 first came out and they said it would last 25k. Maybe they can but I am not about to try!!!

Anthony

C66 Racing
03-09-08, 02:43 PM
AERO1,
I'd be a little concerned running Mobil 1 as long as you are, or intend to, without doing a used oil analysis such as the one provided by Blackstone Labs mentioned above, the same lab I use for my oil samples. Mobil 1 doesn't have as robust additive package as it once had. When Mobil 1 Extended Performance came out a few years ago, Mobil touted that it had about 42% more anti-wear and detergent additives than the base Mobil 1. They have since revised their language to state the Extended Performance version has "50 percent more SuperSyn", but don't state exactly what SuperSyn is. No matter, the Extended Performance version is clearly the better oil and Mobil rates it for 15k miles. They don't list a mileage for the base Mobil 1, I suspect so as not to confuse all the GM factory fill customers who GM tells to follow the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) with the base oil.

A concern for the base Mobil 1 is its TBN. Total Base Number (TBN) is the measurement of a lubricant’s reserve alkalinity, which aids in the control of acids formed during the combustion process. A good oil starts with a TBN of around 12 and loses TBN over its life. A TBN of 1.0 is recognized as the minimum to prevent acidic buildup.

Consider the TBN of 5.9 on this sample of AMSOIL XL 5w30 (AMSOIL's least expensive oil) in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer with the 5.3L V-8 after 5817 miles:
2003 Chevy Trailblazer Used Oil Analysis AMSOIL XL 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/Chevy%20Trailblazer%20UOA.htm)

For comparison, the TBN in this sample on my 06 CTS-V with Mobil 1 was only 3.6 after 2856 miles:
2006 Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis Mobil 1 Engine Oil (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20Engine%20Oil%20UOA.htm)

I'm pretty confident that if I had taken the Mobil 1 in my CTS-V to 10k miles, the TBN would have been below 1.0 and the oil's resistance to acid control would have been gone.

As an FYI, my OLM read 25% remaining at the 2856 mile mark and interestingly provided a pretty good indication of when to change the oil. If I had taken the OLM down to 0%, I suspect the oil's TBN would have been about done. I'm a believer in the OLM (unless you are using a really good oil).

My recommendation is that you get your oil analyzed (with TBN) before going much farther on it. :cheers:

Dif
03-09-08, 04:53 PM
C66 Racing, I think you sum it all up very well.
If a lot of miles are put on every year, it's nice to save oil changes and leave the oil in as long as possible, but it should be within reason.
I can't see leaving the oil in for Extremely long mileage. Why take the chance for a simple oil change.
I run Mobil 1 and do not usually put more than 6,000 miles on in a year.
I like the Mobil 1 for all the reasons it is what it is, but I still change it between 3000-5000 miles depending on the mileage/weather or just the length time it has been since the last oil change.
If it's not convenient to change my oil at 3000, at least I know with Mobil 1 it's good for at least 2000 more miles before a change.
But beyond that I'd rather change it then to take a chance.
Just my situation and thoughts on the subject.

On another note: the oil monitor in the vehicles have been proven to be extremely accurate to the oils condition and when it should be changed. :yup:

BigZub
03-10-08, 08:26 AM
All very interesting. I run a stock '07 ESV with Mobil 1, and usually change the oil when the OLM gets to 35% remaining. I figure that oil is cheap, oil changes are cheap, and it's cheap insurance to have clean oil in the vehicle. Sevice techs are usually very surprised to note the cleanliness of the oil during the change, which figures, since I do a lot of highway driving. I normally get ~7500 miles between oil changes, and don't want to go much more than that between tire rotations anyway.

Another good reason to change more frequently is if you do a lot of short trips, not allowing the engine and oil to come to full operating temperature for significant periods of time and boil off any water or condensation in the oil.

You can bet that I'll be sending some oil off for analysis though!

GM-4-LIFE
03-11-08, 01:22 PM
Where can I order the oil analysis kit?

Also, does it matter that I am running the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV formula? Mobil 1 claims that the Truck & SUV formula is tougher and protects better than the standard Mobil 1.

SG

airhammer
03-11-08, 10:32 PM
Order sample kit from blackstone-labs.com. They'll send you the sample bottle for free. Fill the bottle and send it back. Then they charge you $22.50 for the analysis.

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-08, 02:29 AM
Order sample kit from blackstone-labs.com. They'll send you the sample bottle for free. Fill the bottle and send it back. Then they charge you $22.50 for the analysis.

Thank you very much! I placed the order for the kit today and it should be on the way. I will probably change the oil out soon since we almost have clocked 11,000 miles since the last oil change.

I checked the level and condition of the oil a couple days ago and it still looks good!

SG

airhammer
03-12-08, 10:01 AM
Cool! I mean sick! :)

suprego123
03-12-08, 11:03 AM
What I don't understand is that a complete synthetic oil change cost about $27. (6 quarts of Mobil 1 for $24 and $3 for a standard filter. I do the change myself) And the oil analyst already cost $22.50. The difference is only a few dollars. Guys this is an Escalade, we already spent $60,000 on the car, why are we nickel and diming this baby?

hcvone
03-12-08, 11:56 AM
I agree, I only sent my oil once to get checked to see how is was holding up. now I just change it yearly and do it myself.

C66 Racing
03-12-08, 12:44 PM
Guys this is an Escalade, we already spent $60,000 on the car, why are we nickel and diming this baby?

I don't use Used Oil Analysis to extend my oil's oil change interval, but I use them frequently when I drain my oil to see how the engine is holding up. The analysis they do can provide early identification of problems such as water or fuel contamination or excessive wear. :cheers:

GM-4-LIFE
03-12-08, 02:41 PM
What I don't understand is that a complete synthetic oil change cost about $27. (6 quarts of Mobil 1 for $24 and $3 for a standard filter. I do the change myself) And the oil analyst already cost $22.50. The difference is only a few dollars. Guys this is an Escalade, we already spent $60,000 on the car, why are we nickel and diming this baby?

If I owned the Escalade, I would be changing the oil out every 5,000-7,500 miles or so with Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 oil filter, but since it's a lease and the lease is almost up, I figured I would stretch the intervals out a bit more. Granted I am still using Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 oil filter so I am a bit more confident that the engine will be fine on longer service intervals.

I have only been doing 24 month leases with the Cadillacs I have gotten in the past few years. Our lease is up in September and with all the GMAC pull ahead programs, we will probably be out of the 2007 Escalade and into the 2009 around July or August.

SG

Palomar9
03-12-08, 08:51 PM
My leased 07 will get the same oil treatment that all my other cars get: Castrol and a new filter every 5000. There's just no good reason for me to do the slightest bit more than that.

airhammer
03-12-08, 11:32 PM

If you are going to own the truck long term the advantage lies in detecting potential internal problems early. Then, when it comes time to sell it is a definite advantage to have a record of internal engine wear showing how well the truck you are selling has been maintained.

I typically run my trucks 5-7 years and I don't give them away to the dealer on trade in. The oil analysis and maintenance records I had on my last truck made a good impression on the buyer and helped me sell it quickly. For me the $300 spent on oil analysis during the use period pays off big at sale time. It also more than pays for itself by extending the change interval.

If you go from a 7500 to a 10k change interval based on good oil analysis you'll save 5 oil changes over 150k miles. I normally have it done so it's cheaper for me to do the oil analysis than pay for 5 or more extra changes and then I have the records to help sell the truck at the end.

hcvone
03-13-08, 09:00 AM
I try to keep mine 3 oil changes, or two years. :)

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-08, 11:27 AM
I try to keep mine 3 oil changes, or two years. :)

hcvone (Carl),

I am on the exact same schedule. Took delivery of our 2007 Escalade on September 23, 2006 and changed the oil out the first time at 4K miles, then at 11K miles and the last time it was changed was at 18K miles and we have have had the 2007 Escalade for about a year and a half now! I have to change it one more time before the lease is up because we will hit 11K miles since the last oil change today!

SG

hcvone
03-17-08, 01:29 PM
I always change mine the first time at 500-1000 miles, just want to get the junk they use out of the car/truck ASAP, I usually change all the fluids diffs, trans, transfer case, power steering and brake fluid, but I am driving in places and areas where there is no one if you have a problem, like to know what I have in there. ;)

GM-4-LIFE
03-18-08, 12:35 PM
hcvone (Carl),

With the 2008 and up Escalade now having Mobil 1 from the factory, is there really a reason to change the oil out at 500-1,000 miles? I used to do that when I had the C5 and Z06s as well as the C6, but with the Escalade being a truck motor, is it really necessary to change the oil out to get the break-in material out?

When we get our 2009 Escalade, I may do the first oil change at 5K miles or so, but after that, I will stretch it as long as I can go or I will go by the oil life monitor.

SG

hcvone
03-18-08, 12:55 PM
I know in both my Escalade's and Vette's there was always some metal either on the drain plug if it was magnetic, or cutting the oil filter open (yea I know I am extreme), I would still want to get the first change done at 500-1000 just to be sure, but if it's a lease why bother, let it go for a while. ;)

GM-4-LIFE
03-18-08, 05:00 PM
I know in both my Escalade's and Vette's there was always some metal either on the drain plug if it was magnetic, or cutting the oil filter open (yea I know I am extreme), I would still want to get the first change done at 500-1000 just to be sure, but if it's a lease why bother, let it go for a while. ;)

Yeah, I am gonna do another GMAC 24 month Smartlease, so why waste money on fresh Mobil 1 when the factory Mobil 1 will go at least 5K miles with the factory filter. What worries me is the filter GM uses on the Escalade, not so much the Mobil 1.

SG

hcvone
03-18-08, 05:28 PM
Of couse using thier filter means no warranty issue even though it not very good. ;)

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-08, 01:44 AM
Of couse using thier filter means no warranty issue even though it not very good. ;)

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter meets or exceeds any and all OEM manufacturer specs, so I would like to see them try to void the factory warranty because I used a better filter than what the OEM supplies. Now that all Escalades are factory filled with Mobil 1, how can they bring up any issues with an oil filter like the Mobil 1 when the factory themselves uses Mobil 1's oil as factory fill? I would like to see them try and pull that crap on me!

SG

hcvone
03-19-08, 09:27 AM
I use the new synthetic Amsoil filter, guaranteed for 1 year or 25k miles. :)

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-08, 12:50 PM
I use the new synthetic Amsoil filter, guaranteed for 1 year or 25k miles. :)

That's awesome! So that means I would only be doing 1 oil change during my 24 month lease!!!

SG

hcvone
03-19-08, 12:52 PM
I have not looked at my 08' SRX filter, is a Mobil 1 or Delco?

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-08, 05:42 PM
I have not looked at my 08' SRX filter, is a Mobil 1 or Delco?

If it's a factory GM oil filter, it is a blue AC Delco oil filter. GM won't use a premium oil filter like the Mobil 1 because it costs way too much and the GM beancounters won't let it happen, especially when GM basically owns AC Delco and pays pennies for an oil filter, if that! Mobil 1 oil filters are built by Champion Labs, NOT Mobil.

SG

hcvone
03-19-08, 06:38 PM
That will be the limiting factor, the Delco plain blue filter are average at best, many changing them at 3k miles. :(

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-08, 06:53 PM
That will be the limiting factor, the Delco plain blue filter are average at best, many changing them at 3k miles. :(

Very true my friend! I have about 11,200 miles on the current Mobil 1 5W30 Truck & SUV formula and it has to be because of the Mobil 1 oil filter that the oil looks as good as it does. It appears to be doing a great job of filtering! I am sure that if I used the blue standard AC Delco oil filter, I would have had to change the oil thousands of miles ago!

I can't believe I have gone this long without changing the oil. I have never waited this long to change the oil in any car I have owned or leased! Props to Mobil 1! For the money, you can't beat their products!

SG

hcvone
03-19-08, 08:49 PM
One less thing to worry about doing. :)

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-08, 10:32 PM
One less thing to worry about doing. :)

Yes, sir! You hit the nail right on the head!

SG

BMBSALES
03-22-08, 12:31 PM
i just did sts-v when oil life monitor was down to 5% (15,500 miles), and although it looked bad, i've seen worse. and, of course that's just by eye, not testing it.

GM-4-LIFE
03-26-08, 11:47 AM
i just did sts-v when oil life monitor was down to 5% (15,500 miles), and although it looked bad, i've seen worse. and, of course that's just by eye, not testing it.

That sure is a long interval with the factory GM oil filter.

SG

hcvone
03-26-08, 12:17 PM
Yea those blue filter are shot pretty much over 5k

BMBSALES
03-26-08, 11:29 PM
That sure is a long interval with the factory GM oil filter.

SG

yeah, but i took apart mobile 1 filter, and wasn't impressed after hearing all the hype...now i admit, i've been a big ac filter fan after taking some apart, but if the gm clock says 15k to change and the gm filter is what they recommend...they're not trying to replace/blow up northstars. not saying others don't filter out to smaller microns, but i really think at that point hairs are being split.;)

GM-4-LIFE
03-27-08, 01:48 AM
yeah, but i took apart mobile 1 filter, and wasn't impressed after hearing all the hype...now i admit, i've been a big ac filter fan after taking some apart, but if the gm clock says 15k to change and the gm filter is what they recommend...they're not trying to replace/blow up northstars. not saying others don't filter out to smaller microns, but i really think at that point hairs are being split.;)

How long ago did you split the Mobil 1 oil filter? Mobil 1 has a new oil filter out that is made for longer service intervals and is called the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter. I agree that their first generation oil filter a few years ago was nowhere near the performance of their newest oil filter. I have been impressed with their new oil filter.

Cadillac dealer technician said he split open a bunch of GM filters and he said that in real world conditions, the GM filter is done at 5K miles.

I have been using the Mobil 1 oil filter now for over a year now and I have gone almost 12K miles on the Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter and can tell you that so far, so good. The oil level is good and the color of the oil is dark, but not black. The Mobil 1 oil filter is doing it's job and filtering even at the 12K mile mark. I can't say that with the GM filter.

When I do change the oil eventually, I will be sending in the oil to Blackstone labs for a full analysis and I will be able to scientifically see how well the oil is doing with the Mobil 1 oil filter with the amount of miles I have subjected the oil to.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
04-15-08, 02:27 AM
Just wanted to post an update.

I finally changed the oil in our 2007 Escalade today after six and a half months and 12,553 miles.

As you can expect, the oil was really black when it was being drained.

I did get a good sample of the oil and I sent it off to Blackstone Labs right after the oil change was completed. I am very curious to see the condition of the Mobil 1 after almost 13K miles.

I will keep you updated of the results when I get them back from Blackstone.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
04-17-08, 08:28 PM
I just got my Blackstone Labs oil analysis report via email. That was FAST! The oil was still good at almost 13,000 miles since my last oil change and with 31,000 miles on the engine!!! I guess the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters are as good as they say! Everything pretty much looked good. Just wanted to give you the heads up!

SG

C66 Racing
04-17-08, 11:24 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how the oil performed in terms of wear metals vs the universal lab averages for your motor family given the long service interval, and did you get TBN done, and if so, what was it? :cheers:

airhammer
04-18-08, 01:16 AM
Impressive!

GM-4-LIFE
04-18-08, 02:15 AM
I'd be interested in knowing how the oil performed in terms of wear metals vs the universal lab averages for your motor family given the long service interval, and did you get TBN done, and if so, what was it? :cheers:

I can email you my full oil analysis if you like. The TBN was 1.3 which was low, but this engine had gone almost 13,000 miles in harsh L.A. driving conditions and that has to be taken into consideration. Blackstone Labs made a mistake and listed that I run leaded fuel which is false. I emailed them so they can correct it and find out why there was so much lead present.

SG

simplemind
04-18-08, 11:59 AM
find out why there was so much lead present. SG

You did say L.A., right.....:histeric:

As you know, BMW has a 15,000 mile oil service interval even on the M series. They use a "special" Castrol synthetic. Whether it is special or not, I don't know, but I'd bet that Mobil 1 is just as good, and should easilly go 15k. Bimmer freaks, yes I are one, are pretty spooked about the interval, but BMW pays for all oil service up to 4/48 and it's on your own tab if you want it changed earlier, and it ain't cheap. :helpless:

GM-4-LIFE
04-18-08, 05:30 PM
You did say L.A., right.....:histeric:

As you know, BMW has a 15,000 mile oil service interval even on the M series. They use a "special" Castrol synthetic. Whether it is special or not, I don't know, but I'd bet that Mobil 1 is just as good, and should easilly go 15k. Bimmer freaks, yes I are one, are pretty spooked about the interval, but BMW pays for all oil service up to 4/48 and it's on your own tab if you want it changed earlier, and it ain't cheap. :helpless:

You are talking about two totally different designed engines. BMW and Mercedes engines are designed with internal parts so that they can go longer intervals and still be safe. GM engines were designed to run as long as the engine oil life monitor says to change the oil which is around 7K-8K mile service intervals. I ran our Escalade to the point where it went from 100% oil life remaining to 0% and I reset the oil life monitor back to 100% and when I changed the oil out it was down to 45%.

The TBN rating was 1.3 when the oil was analyzed which is very low, so I may go 10K instead of almost 13K miles next time.

L.A. conditions are VERY harsh on any motor oil.

Last time I checked Mobil 1 was better than Castol Synthetic. My sister runs Mobil 1 Extended Performance in her 2002 745LI and that is what her BMW dealer recommends for her to use over the Castrol.

SG

simplemind
04-19-08, 01:06 AM
You are talking about two totally different designed engines. BMW and Mercedes engines are designed with internal parts so that they can go longer intervals and still be safe. GM engines were designed to run as long as the engine oil life monitor says to change the oil which is around 7K-8K mile service intervals.

BMW actually monitors the driving conditions/usage and adjusts the oil change interval accordingly. As far as I know, Caddy uses a simple timer, set for the type of oil used (dino/syn), :yawn:.

Last time I checked Mobil 1 was better than Castol Synthetic.
SG

Do you have hard data to back that up? :thehand:

hcvone
04-19-08, 07:54 AM
It's more that many Euro cars carry much more oil than american cars, they can get away with changing it less, and as said BMW pays for oil changes, I used to fight with them about when I wanted the oil changed, now I do it myself and use Amsoil, have since 2000 on my BMW's & Benz's. :)

GM-4-LIFE
04-19-08, 01:06 PM
simplemind,

Cadillac claims that their oil life monitor is guaged by the way the car is driven, but their oil life monitor on the Escalade is programmed for conventional oil. My STS-V's oil life monitor is programmed for Mobil 1, so our Escalade percentage drops much faster than the STS-V's. The Escalade can't tell what oil you use, even though I use Mobil 1.

While Castrol may be a good synthetic oil, Mobil 1 has always been the superior synthetic oil MOST automakers go with and trust. It is second only to Red Line, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. BMW seems to be the only one that uses Castrol while others go with Mobil 1. It's funny that a lot of BMW dealers use Mobil 1 instead of the BMW factory recommended Castrol Syntec. I will search for hard data to show that Mobil 1 is better than Castrol. I am 100% certain Mobil 1 is better than Castrol Syntec, but I am sure I can find data to show that it is a better performing oil. I am sure hcvone has the data somewhere. He seems to be up on this stuff.

SG

GM-4-LIFE
04-19-08, 01:45 PM
Simplemind,

Check out this link:

http://www.texassyntheticoils.com/

Check out this paragraph:

In fact until recently many of these manufacturers never even had a synthetic (except Mobil1). They were too busy trying to debunk the benefits of synthetics to the average consumer! Now, technology, competition and consumer demand has forced every major oil manufacturer to have a synthetic, and they are now also claiming the same benefits that at one time they were trying to debunk, but yet not a single one even comes close to offering the protection and performance that AMSOILdoes. In fact, the Castrol Syntec isn't even a 100% pure Group 4 synthetic...

I am still searching for actual hard data, but this is a start...

SG

Palomar9
04-19-08, 05:06 PM
Can anyone offer some tangible concrete (cost effective) reasons for using exotic and expensive oil in a fairly conventional engine which was designed for regular oil in the first place? I change oil/filter myself about twice a year for less than $50. Five years from now, would it have made any REAL difference if I had used synthetic oil and an expensive filter?

simplemind
04-19-08, 05:33 PM
Simplemind,

Check out this link:

http://www.texassyntheticoils.com/

I am still searching for actual hard data, but this is a start...

SG

Thanks for the link, and I am familliar with Amsoil, which is a great product. Also, I was not touting the Castrol, simply referring to what BMW had specified for my '03 M3. Appearantly the Castrol that BMW approves has "Made in Germany" on the label, and is a 100% syn product, has a black label, and has a ACEA A3 and BMW LL-01 rating, fwiw!

Here (http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html)is another link that may be of interest, or not :D!

Dif
04-19-08, 07:06 PM
Can anyone offer some tangible concrete (cost effective) reasons for using exotic and expensive oil in a fairly conventional engine which was designed for regular oil in the first place? I change oil/filter myself about twice a year for less than $50. Five years from now, would it have made any REAL difference if I had used synthetic oil and an expensive filter?
If a person changes the oil all the time at 3000 miles and only keeps a vehicle for a few years and then trades up.....
Probably no big deal not using Synthetic when not keeping the vehicle long.

I used to think it was just some fancy oil..
But then I did some research to see just what was what.

The Synthetic will Not get Thin when Hot, and will Not get Thick when Cold.

The molecules in the Synthetic are all the same size, not all various sizes like in Petroleum oil.
Doesn't sound like much but it coats the moving parts more uniformly.

With Synthetic, the engine stays Perfectly Clean.
Where as Petroleum based oil will leave sludge that builds up after a lot of miles and looks like so much mud in the engine.
The pistons and everything else internally become coated, burned and dirty with this sludge.
I've had cars with 100,000 miles when I was a kid, and after taking valve covers off, you could scoop the sludge out of the top of the head with a spoon.
About 10 years ago I was over my friends house and he had been using Synthetic for years ... and keeps his vehicles for years.
He took his truck engine apart to redo the valves after 150,000 miles.
I was shocked,... the engine was clean as the day it was built.

It's proven the Synthetic will last many times longer because it simply doesn't break down as fast as Petroleum oil.
The only problem I see with Synthetic is leaving it in for extended periods with out using a Premium high mileage filter.
It won't matter how good the oil is if it gets dirty.

For me, I don't put more than 6-7000 miles on a year and is another reason I use Synthetic.
Petroleum based oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or....
every 3 months ....... which ever comes first.
Sometimes it takes me 6 Months to put on 3000 miles.
Petroleum oil breaks down once it's exposed to engine heat, moisture and temperature changes in the weather just from being in the engine too long.
It's not all about the mileage.

As for being cost effective:
Synthetic can be left in at least twice as long as Petroleum oil.
Yes, it cost more initially, but you get 1 oil change to every 2 with Petroleum oil.
In my opinion if keeping the vehicle for 5 years or more regardless of the miles, the engine will be in better shape with Synthetic oil and run better.

Take it for what it's worth..., just info I've found and experienced with Synthetic.
I've been using it about 10 years in all my vehicles and notice improvement in performance and mileage.

scroitoru
04-21-08, 11:39 AM
on my jeep, i have 120K, and have used Mobil 1 synthetic since I bought in back in 2001. It rides so smooth, like new. On top of that, I am also using top of the line oil filter and the top of the line air filter, and changing the oil every 7500 miles. It is worth it, if you wanna keep your car a long time.

hcvone
04-21-08, 01:30 PM

GM must think it's important, since they offer a longer warranty now and all Caddy's and Corvette's come with Mobil 1, they did not switch to synthetic oils to help the customers, if you know what I mean, it must perform better, and of course we know it does. ;)

GM-4-LIFE
04-21-08, 05:36 PM
GM must think it's important, since they offer a longer warranty now and all Caddy's and Corvette's come with Mobil 1, they did not switch to synthetic oils to help the customers, if you know what I mean, it must perform better, and of course we know it does. ;)

True, but the oil filter GM uses is not up to par.

Blackstone labs said that even after 12,500 miles, the Mobil 1 oil filter did a great job of filtering and it was still good! Try doing that with the GM oil filter.

SG

BMBSALES
04-22-08, 11:38 PM
How long ago did you split the Mobil 1 oil filter? Mobil 1 has a new oil filter out that is made for longer service intervals and is called the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter.....

Cadillac dealer technician said he split open a bunch of GM filters and he said that in real world conditions, the GM filter is done at 5K miles.

it was awhile back that i cut mobile 1 open...i just can't agree with the 5k mile assessment though...they just couldn't afford to take that chance, no matter who says what.

i'll have to rip apart the new mobile 1 next!

bmb

GM-4-LIFE
04-23-08, 01:17 AM
After seeing what Blackstone Labs had to say about the Mobil 1 oil filter, I am really glad I chose to go with it.

The GM oil filter simply isn't anywhere near as good as the Mobil 1 oil filter.

Blackstone said that the Mobil 1 oil filter did a great job and was still doing a good job filtering and I almost went 13,000 miles on the same oil and filter in harsh L.A. driving conditions.

I am sure you were referring to the old Mobil 1 oil filter which wasn't as good as the newer Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil filters.

SG

simplemind
04-23-08, 11:15 AM
BTW, you can look up the Mobil 1 part # HERE (http://www.showmetheparts.com/mobil/)

hcvone
04-23-08, 11:39 AM
I used Mobil 1 filters for years until the synthetic Amsoil filters came out, they can go 25k between filter changes, although I would never let my oil go that long, not even on a lease. ;)

C66 Racing
04-27-08, 11:24 PM
Aero1,
In response to a PM chain we shared a while ago, and sharing here for all, AMSOIL now offers AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAOPB.htm) and AMSOIL Ea Air Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAPB.htm) for a 2007 Escalade.

Applicable stock codes are:
EAO47
EAA123
:cheers:

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-08, 12:14 PM
Aero1,
In response to a PM chain we shared a while ago, and sharing here for all, AMSOIL now offers AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAOPB.htm) and AMSOIL Ea Air Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAPB.htm) for a 2007 Escalade.

Applicable stock codes are:
EAO47
EAA123

Thanks for the PM. I appreciate the info. I did PM you back.

SG

hcvone
04-28-08, 03:28 PM
I have a case of 47's here, hope they don't change the filter for 09'. ;)

oneredcaddy
04-28-08, 03:35 PM
That's not very smart! It sure voids the warranty.

hcvone
04-28-08, 05:05 PM
It does not. :)

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-08, 05:41 PM
That's not very smart! It sure voids the warranty.

It doesn't void the warranty! On the box of the Mobil 1 oil filters, it CLEARLY states that their oil filters will NOT void your warranty and that their oil filters meet or exceed OEM specifications.

I have held off purchasing ANY oil filters because the 2009 Escalade oil filter part number may be different and I don't want to be stuck with oil filters I can't use. Good call hcvone!

SG

hcvone
04-29-08, 08:52 AM
It should be the same filter, but it is a new engine in the 09's and we all know how that goes. :(

Dif
04-29-08, 01:06 PM
It should be the same filter, but it is a new engine in the 09's and we all know how that goes. :(
Carl,
Are they changing the 6.2 403 HP engine and do you know what they are changing ?

scroitoru
04-29-08, 01:25 PM
read it all here. from L92 to L9H

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/137008-2009-escalade-changes.html

GM-4-LIFE
04-29-08, 01:49 PM
read it all here. from L92 to L9H

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/137008-2009-escalade-changes.html

We all know that GM/Cadillac is replacing the L92 6.2L with the L9H 6.2L. That's not our concern here. We just aren't sure if the oil filter part number will be the same. We won't know until the 2009 Escalades start rolling off the assembly line.

SG

04deveni
05-07-08, 04:18 PM

SG

Whats the buy back on your Escalade?

GM-4-LIFE
05-07-08, 07:51 PM
Whats the buy back on your Escalade?

Do you mean the lease buyout? I don't know off the top of my head. I have to check the lease contract and get back to you.

You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks!

SG

BMBSALES
06-04-08, 01:41 PM
True, but the oil filter GM uses is not up to par.

Blackstone labs said that even after 12,500 miles, the Mobil 1 oil filter did a great job of filtering and it was still good! Try doing that with the GM oil filter.

SG

one thing with the mobile 1's that i don't like, is that they are smaller and have less filter surface area. i really have a hard time believing that they last longer. i know...synthetic bonded 2ply, etc, etc, but it just doesn't make common sense. and, i'm yet to see a non-one sided test that proves their claims to be better than ac

RidingDirty
11-30-08, 02:07 PM
also if amsoil is so good why dont they sale it at walmart or parts stores?

austin
11-30-08, 03:47 PM
Does the Escalade require mandatory use of synthetic oil like the cts-v & sts-v do??

RidingDirty
11-30-08, 04:39 PM
I am running mobile 1 in my esv, if it requires it or not.

C66 Racing
12-02-08, 12:13 AM
also if amsoil is so good why dont they sale it at walmart or parts stores?

AMSOIL was formed by a retired Air Force LtCol (Al Amatuzio) in the early 70s. When he formed his company, for undisclosed reasons he chose to make it a MLM company similar to Snap-on, Mary Kay, etc. I suspect, but don't know, that he chose this route due to lower start up costs in advertising and ease in getting his product to the market. Now, AMSOIL can be sold in retail outlets, but AMSOIL will not cater to national chains unless they are either locally owned or managed (with essentially distinct buying authority). As an example, many NAPA stores carry AMSOIL as many of them are locally owned. AMSOIL has turned down multi-million dollar contracts by national chains to carry their product. That said, if anyone out there is a small business owner that either uses or sells lubricants, filters, etc, I can easily get you a commerical or retail account myself. :cheers:

evois
04-16-11, 03:58 AM
since this is the oil section, I just want to get your input guys. I have the 09 escalade hybrid bought new in 09 and have used only mobil 1 5w/30 EP and using the OLM up to 10k miles interval. after my UOA from blackstone, it showed that it has enough TBN, lotsa additives,etc. but what is striking is the very high copper. is this common in gm hybrids(due to the AFM) or the newer 6.2 engines with AFM? maybe it was just an error, but after another interval of 7500 miles, it still showed copper! mind you the TBN was very okay. I'm using the ac delco filter from dealer oil change each time. what gives? should I change oil/oil filter?

Nixin
04-17-11, 11:28 AM
So what is, if you folks don't mind me asking, the better way to go when it comes to synthetic oil's: MOBIL 1 or AMSOIL? Thanks.

SouthernCaddy
04-17-11, 11:40 AM
I use mobile one and change it when the oil minder gets to or below 29%. doesnt cost that much to have clean oil in it!

Dobiesdaddy
04-22-11, 01:48 AM
Mobil 1 is not created for long drain intervals. AMSOIL is. I run it in all my rides and save getting it at dealer cost. I ran oil analysis on my cars when I first ran AMSOIL and saw no degrade after 24k. We all drive one of the most expensive SUV's out there. Why not protect it with the best?! BTW, no oil company challenges AMSOIL's stats... No one!

evois
04-22-11, 02:07 AM
Mobil 1 is not created for long drain intervals. AMSOIL is. I run it in all my rides and save getting it at dealer cost. I ran oil analysis on my cars when I first ran AMSOIL and saw no degrade after 24k. We all drive one of the most expensive SUV's out there. Why not protect it with the best?! BTW, no oil company challenges AMSOIL's stats... No one!

the extended performance mobil 1 is the one good up to 15k mile interval.

DTEK01
04-22-11, 05:17 AM
I know the standard Mobile 1 synthetic and Delco filter with slightly less than 5k miles was black as can be when I drained it. I just put in Amsoil and their EA filter so well see how that goes.

evois
04-22-11, 07:53 AM
if you guys use amsoil, does it extend the OLM reading?

C66 Racing
04-24-11, 09:27 AM
if you guys use amsoil, does it extend the OLM reading?

The OLM doesn't know what kind of oil is in the car, so no. Commenting a little on the above, AMSOIL actually makes three tiers of oils, the top being rated for longer drain intervals, but now offers two lower tiers that are very cost effective and all three are now meet Dexos1. For the question above regarding copper, GM motors do show a lot of copper, but it should trend down, and in general should be near the labs average for that engine family. As an example, here are four samples from my 06 CTS-V; the June 07 sample was M1, the last three AMSOIL's top tier 0w30:
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis - AMSOIL 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/Used%20Oil%20Analysis%20Reports/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%200w30%2010-18-09.htm)

Not trying to jump in on the Mobil 1 vs. AMSOIL debate, but for those that would like to try AMSOIL, I'm happy to get it for forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm) - drop me a PM if interested.

AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ASLPB.htm) (Product Code ASLQT)
(Rated for 25k/1 year in normal service, 15k/1yr in severe service - note that your filter might not be rated for that long. AMSOIL's EA15k50 for the 09 Escalade engines is rated for 15k miles)
AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/XLFPB.htm) (Product Code XLFQT)
(Rated for 10k/6 months or longer if OLM followed and results in over 10k miles)
AMSOIL OE Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/OEFPB.htm) (Product Code OEFQT)
(Rated for OEM intervals including OLM - very cost effective synthetic without long life additives)

evois
04-29-11, 07:56 PM
The OLM doesn't know what kind of oil is in the car, so no. Commenting a little on the above, AMSOIL actually makes three tiers of oils, the top being rated for longer drain intervals, but now offers two lower tiers that are very cost effective and all three are now meet Dexos1. For the question above regarding copper, GM motors do show a lot of copper, but it should trend down, and in general should be near the labs average for that engine family. As an example, here are four samples from my 06 CTS-V; the June 07 sample was M1, the last three AMSOIL's top tier 0w30:
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis - AMSOIL 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/Used%20Oil%20Analysis%20Reports/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%200w30%2010-18-09.htm)

Not trying to jump in on the Mobil 1 vs. AMSOIL debate, but for those that would like to try AMSOIL, I'm happy to get it for forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm) - drop me a PM if interested.

AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ASLPB.htm) (Product Code ASLQT)
(Rated for 25k/1 year in normal service, 15k/1yr in severe service - note that your filter might not be rated for that long. AMSOIL's EA15k50 for the 09 Escalade engines is rated for 15k miles)
AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/XLFPB.htm) (Product Code XLFQT)
(Rated for 10k/6 months or longer if OLM followed and results in over 10k miles)
AMSOIL OE Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/OEFPB.htm) (Product Code OEFQT)
(Rated for OEM intervals including OLM - very cost effective synthetic without long life additives)

I just had my oil change and again collected an UOA sample. have used again mobil 1 5w/30 ep and it will be my last UOA. if it still reads high copper, I might have to try out amsoil this time. I inspected the mobil 1 extended performance oil filter M11113(for escalade)($8+) and the a/c delco PG48($4+) and it looks exactly the same. at least the purone(purolator) looked different.

C66 Racing
04-29-11, 08:41 PM
I just had my oil change and again collected an UOA sample. have used again mobil 1 5w/30 ep and it will be my last UOA. if it still reads high copper, I might have to try out amsoil this time. I inspected the mobil 1 extended performance oil filter M11113(for escalade)($8+) and the a/c delco PG48($4+) and it looks exactly the same. at least the purone(purolator) looked different.

If you go the AMSOIL route, drop me a PM and I'll make sure you get it at wholesale as mentioned above.