: Cranking noise before start

phenyle
03-02-08, 04:46 PM
Hi,
On and off my truck will start after a several seconds of cranking noise and not right away as it normally does. I have added the feul injection cleaner and changed the fuel filter. noticed that happens often on hot days than cool ones. Any ideas for diagnosis and fix. would like to avoid replacing the fuel pump.

Thanks,
ash

91sonomast
03-02-08, 07:50 PM
hmmmm thats a new one, i have noticed they are much harder to start on cold days.
only thing i could find was a TSB on clogged injectors and one on extended crank on cold days. when you have this issue has the vehicle been sitting for a while or just a short time?

hcvone
03-03-08, 08:14 AM
How many miles? What year truck? Ever had it tuned up?

phenyle
03-03-08, 12:11 PM
2002 82K miles, i havent had a tune up, I wasnt sure if it was an issue with the plugs as it happens some times and is fine other times. also it doesnt matter between the truck sitting long or short time, sometimes it happens even when the truck sat for a few minutes.

hcvone
03-03-08, 01:39 PM
With the miles and age I would do plugs and wires, clean the T-Body, new air filter, may want to look into a presserized fuel injector cleaning if the plugs and wires do not do it.

91sonomast
03-03-08, 02:18 PM
ditto with what hcvone said