: portable nav

urbanski
03-02-08, 12:38 PM
want one for Yukon, dont know jack about em....
can you fill me in on the important details to have? gotchas?
wildly variable prices from 99 to a grand :bonkers:

orconn
03-02-08, 12:53 PM
I would be interested in getting some insight on the pros and cons verses oem units for 2002 and newer Sevilles. What features are realoly worth the extra bucks?

thebigjimsho
03-02-08, 01:03 PM
A built in NAV is great because even when you lose signal, you can still use the compass and speedo to keep you on the right track.

hueterm
03-02-08, 01:11 PM
I'd go w/a Garmin Nuvi. I also have a Garmin Streetpilot, but it is about 8 times the size of the Nuvi.

I have a 360, which has a Bluetooth speaker phone built in. If you don't want that, a 350 would work great. Those 2 are not widescreen, which for a Nav, never seemed that important to me.

There are new models out that are widescreen and a couple have route optimization, which I wish mine had (the Streetpilot does) -- where you put in a list of destinations, and it finds the best route between all of them.

You can get the 350/360 in the $300 range. The new models (700 series) are $500 and up. Depends on what you need. Some Nuvis have Bluetooth, some don't. Some have Europe maps built in, some don't. Some have some kind of MSN access (for weather, news, etc. -- not the full Internet), some don't.

They all have a very powerful antenna for great reception. And they have such big market share, it should be easy to get accessories in the future.

urbanski
03-02-08, 01:13 PM
the 250W nuvi looks promising

hueterm
03-02-08, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure on the 200 Series, but I think that those don't have "Text to Speech" where it actually says the street name, instead of "turn right in 500 feet" or whatever.

If that's important for you, I'd check on that.

urbanski
03-02-08, 02:08 PM
i noticed that...but i dont think my V says the street names either
in fact i have the lady's voice off

Red_October_7000
03-03-08, 02:36 AM
Garmin units are overpriced for what you get. The TomTom units I've experienced are the best value for the money. You can find a TomTom One for short bucks these days, (Street is $199 but it's not hard at all to find cheaper, even as low as $99) and they work GREAT. The pricier models may have a bigger screen, or BlueTooth capacity to act as a (Shitty) speakerphone. (Shitty unless you add an external mic and a comm.s speaker, in which case they become a good BlueTooth car kit -if you value this capability make sure the model has the ports for at least the mic, otherwise ignore BlueTooth.) I've used Garmin, and the models in the same price bracket as the TomToms are less capable and slower and significantly "Stupid" -they don't update your position well and tend to get confused, to varying degrees of badness, on structures like cloverleaves and flyovers and anywhere else one road crosses over another. The cheaper ones also use a voice synthesizer (versus recorded speech), which will make you want to hurl the goddamned thing right out the window.

urbanski
03-03-08, 03:07 PM
costco has the garmin 650 for 299
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11237450&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=%E2%8C%A9=en-US&s=1

i'm gonna jump on that

RightTurn
03-03-08, 05:24 PM
Good choice. I heart my Garmin. :yup:

HITMONEY
03-03-08, 06:13 PM
I bought the Garmin C550 for my parents and they love it.

I like it better than my factory NAV.

Edit: I originaly put the C330, but after calling my mom it is in fact a c550

It has the Bluetooth phone option which works amazingly well. The whole phone book is available on the Garmin screen. I want it in my car just for that feature. The live traffic updates work good too (in Atlanta).