: Yet another new Destroyer Ride.........not a Viper :(

Destroyer
03-02-08, 12:15 AM
Decided to add a workhorse to the stable. I buy and sell lots of merchandise at auctions so the need for a pickup truck (and trailer) arose. The truck is a '97 S10 extended cab. Its got a custom interior and a bunch of add ons like a K&N intake kit, altezza style tailights, a big fart pipe.and such. Its got a Vortec 4.3 V6 which is suprisingly peppy and 114k on the odo. Drives great and doesn't look all that good at the moment. Bought off a friend that really didn't care of it cosmetically but always kept up with it as far as maintenance. I paid $600 for it and I think that was a great deal. Soon as I got it home I started removing the yucky graphics on the side but I figured I'd take some "before" photos tonight before I buff it out and detail it. It will come out looking great when its done. The paint is actually in nice shape. You guys have any experience with these and any pointers for what to look out for?. Here's some pics.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04447.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04448.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04449.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04450.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04451.jpg

BigJon
03-02-08, 01:54 AM
pretty nice..

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-02-08, 02:43 AM
As much as I would normally hate graphics like that on the side, those looked really good. The interior looks more yellow than it should be. I have to agree with you on the peppy part though. My mom's '00 blazer has the 4.3 and it goes when you tell it too. The things piss away gas like you wouldn't believe though. She averages about 15 city 18-20 highway, but her's is also 4wd.

Night Wolf
03-02-08, 02:46 AM
I agree, graphics were neat, I'd leave them on..... 114k is nothing on the 4.3, plenty more miles left on that. Thats a really good daily driver, I'd pick up something like that if the deal came along, pickups are always handy.

Theres plenty of S10 forums around to get info about it. I know the early 4.3's liked to eat up various items of the fuel injection system, and you had to buy the whole spider thing, was a little pricey. should be good to go tho.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-02-08, 02:53 AM
For $600, you got a good deal.

caddycruiser
03-02-08, 10:55 AM
Graphics OFF...yes:thumbsup: Not that they're bad, but clean, uncluttered paint will look much better when it's correctly detailed, for sure. And no sticker stigma.

Otherwise, a generally nails-tough workhorse, just with prehistoric levels of build quality and refinement (essentially, little of either). But they take a licking, and keep on going...as a book from my father might say, talking of such older GM's: "The body and everything else may disintegrate, but the drivetrain will keep going regardless and even if not maintained properly."

Should do well for you, especially given that it's had known upkeep.

91sonomast
03-02-08, 12:11 PM
dang, 600 bux, you got a steal on that thing. the lower intake manifold gaskets like to go, the spider injector that was mentioned, some small various things. i know a guy who is trying to pop his 4.3, hes running a PT61(i think) turbo at 23psi at the moment, he has worked his way up from 15psi, still running strong, completely stock 4.3. im a huge s10 fan, so if you have any issues with it just PM me and ill be glad to help you out.

Cadillacboy
03-02-08, 03:21 PM
Congrats, for that price you got a good deal ;)

Destroyer
03-02-08, 08:57 PM
Graphics OFF...yes:thumbsup: Not that they're bad, but clean, uncluttered paint will look much better when it's correctly detailed, for sure. And no sticker stigma.

Yeah, no graphics for me. To me they just have a cheap look that I dont like. I got them off and detailed the truck and all I gotta say is WOW what a difference!. Looks respectable again. I've been riding in this truck for years (buddies) and it never looked this clean (he never even washed it I dont think). Anyway, still have to do the inside and will take some "after" pics when its done. :eek:

cadydaddy
03-03-08, 10:01 PM
LOL at the thread title.

96Fleetwood
03-04-08, 06:26 PM
Congrats! Can't beat that deal.

I just picked up a hauler... modified '95 Roadmaster WB4 wagon :thumbsup:

Destroyer
03-04-08, 09:27 PM
im a huge s10 fan, so if you have any issues with it just PM me and ill be glad to help you out.Since you offerred, do 93-up fbody wheels fit?. Thanks.

Destroyer
03-04-08, 09:32 PM
Congrats! Can't beat that deal.

I just picked up a hauler... modified '95 Roadmaster WB4 wagon :thumbsup:
Nice wagon, saw the other thread!. I was looking for a full size pickup and my buddy insisted I take this one off his hands cause he just dont use it much. He wanted to give it to me for nothing but I wouldn't just take it from him. I offered him $1500 and finally he said "ok, just give me $500", I slipped him an extra $100 bill. It needs the A/C fixed, tailgate has a dent and the tires are a bit dry rotted otherwise its a great little truck. Buffed out beautifully and cleaned up to almost "as new" on the inside. I'm very satisfied with this deal;)

Destroyer
03-07-08, 10:35 PM
I'm done detailing it and added a set of '89 Iroc wheels to it. Bought them off Craigslist for $300 and they have brand new tires so I still have under $1k into it. Here are the "after" pics:

Truck has a 3-4" suspension drop, not my cup of tea cause I like trucks high but for the price...................
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04479.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04480.jpg

I will be cutting off the fart pipe and needs a new tailgate. They sell them for $150 on ebay painted to match plus $75 shipping, not bad. I'll probably leave those tailights on there. Dont care for them but I cant say they look worse than stock ones.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04481.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04482.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04483.jpg

Interior is from a Blazer from what I was told and is custom leather with the Chevy symbol embroidered. Not my favorite color but very comfy, even the armrest was padded and covered in leather and so were the door panels.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04484.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04485.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC04486.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-08, 11:32 AM
Looks MUCH better, but for the love of god get rid of the ricer tail and front corner lights.

96Fleetwood
03-08-08, 11:45 AM
Not bad for $1K.

Tint those tails and they will look better. Interior work looks nice. I have a similar floor shift console from a 2000 Bravada to install in the Fleetwood.

Destroyer
03-08-08, 08:59 PM
Looks MUCH better, but for the love of god get rid of the ricer tail and front corner lights.I didn't even notice it had ricer corner lights till you pointed them out, lol. Guess they should be amber. The lights will stay, not cause I like them but why spend more money when its not necessary?. I will be taking the sawzall to the tailpipe though.

NOT ON MY WATCH
03-10-08, 12:49 PM
For $1k you have a great little truck for hauling all kinds of stuff around and you don't have to worry if you accidentally scratch it or get it dirty. Also, those wheels fit the truck nicely. Money well spent and good job.

Destroyer
03-10-08, 08:08 PM
For $1k you have a great little truck for hauling all kinds of stuff around and you don't have to worry if you accidentally scratch it or get it dirty. Also, those wheels fit the truck nicely. Money well spent and good job.
Thanks but I'm already eyeing some newer bigger trucks. I've had too much time on my hands lately and I keep finding deals that I cant turn down, its a sickness.:eek:

misfit6794
03-10-08, 08:52 PM
You really can't beat that price, and I think you may buy new cars more than I do. But I had a 99 blazer and it was hell. Between 30,000 miles and 62,000 (when I finally got rid of it) the following were replace; 4wd shift module,front axle seals, the entire rear end, thermostat housing, oil lines, water pump, heater core, intake manifold,motor mounts, tranny mounts, ball joints (all 4), radiator, constantly needed brakes, abs sensors (all 4). I wasn't hard on my truck at all, and from what I could dig up, these are all common issues. The oil lines especially, since the 4.3 uses a remote oil filter. THe lines going to and from it and krimped at the end, and thats where they start leaking. Now that said, I have heard of 4cly models going forever without needing anything. GOtta love that gm inconsistantly. Bigger truck? Get a bronco, I am obsessed with mine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 09:04 PM
Bigger truck? C/K 1500 powered by a 350. You'll love it, and it'll almost never cause any problems. Although the Bronco is a great suggestion too, because it combines your love of trucks with your love of convertibles.

Destroyer
03-10-08, 09:06 PM
You really can't beat that price, and I think you may buy new cars more than I do. But I had a 99 blazer and it was hell. Between 30,000 miles and 62,000 (when I finally got rid of it) the following were replace; 4wd shift module,front axle seals, the entire rear end, thermostat housing, oil lines, water pump, heater core, intake manifold,motor mounts, tranny mounts, ball joints (all 4), radiator, constantly needed brakes, abs sensors (all 4). I wasn't hard on my truck at all, and from what I could dig up, these are all common issues. The oil lines especially, since the 4.3 uses a remote oil filter. THe lines going to and from it and krimped at the end, and thats where they start leaking. Now that said, I have heard of 4cly models going forever without needing anything. GOtta love that gm inconsistantly. Bigger truck? Get a bronco, I am obsessed with mine.That is quite a laundry list of problems. Luckily I can repair ALL of them right in my garage and dont have to worry about the 4WD probs with mine cause its only 2WD. The strange thing is that you had all those probs at such low miles. The water pump and intake gaskets usually go out around 80(ish)k miles on most small block Chevies I have owned. I'll probably just flip this thing anyway and get something else. My buddy has had for 3 years though and all it needed in that time was a battery. Go figure.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-08, 09:06 PM
The headgaskets are a common issue on the 2.2L

AlBundy
03-10-08, 10:32 PM
Great buy and I see you still have the Cobra.

Destroyer
03-11-08, 12:36 AM
Great buy and I see you still have the Cobra.Oh yeah, the Cobra is still the "fun" car, this is just an extra workhorse. Cobra has had a few improvements since I bought it, most notable are the black 18" FR500 wheels and slotted/drilled rotors all around. Fun car, makes me feel young again and thats something you cant put a pricetag on. ;)

Blackout
03-11-08, 12:49 AM
$600 for any damn vehicle is a good deal. But looks wise you got one hell of a steal man! I can't wait to see how it comes out once you detail it. I was amazed with your work with the old Miata

LS1Mike
03-11-08, 12:54 AM
Man I had a 1991 S-10 and in 270,000 miles I did a water pump, fuel pump and intake mandifold gasket.
I had a different motor than Misfit Vortec vs TBI, but I have never heard of anyone having that many problems with one damn!
That shit was made on Friday before a 3 day weekend.

Destroyer
03-11-08, 01:23 AM
$600 for any damn vehicle is a good deal. But looks wise you got one hell of a steal man! I can't wait to see how it comes out once you detail it. I was amazed with your work with the old Miata
The Miata sure was a fun car, if ony it had back seats. Definately a great experience having owned it. The slot car handling was nothing short of amazing and I dont think I'll have another car that handled like that thing. See page 2 for the "after" photos of the S10 detailed. I've known this S10 for 3 years cause my buddy owned it so I know it was well maintained drivetrain-wise. Just needed some cleaning up.:cool:

misfit6794
03-11-08, 02:11 AM
Still think you shoulda put the 5.0 in that miata..

Destroyer
03-11-08, 07:55 AM
Still think you shoulda put the 5.0 in that miata..
The swap was much more "involved" than I initially thought it would be both money-wise and work-wise. Better to buy one already done IMO than start from scratch. There's lots of LS1 Miata's out there now, think I'd rather have one of those.;)

misfit6794
03-11-08, 10:35 AM
Or a LS2 soltice, and yes, it has been done.

Blackout
03-11-08, 11:10 AM
The Miata sure was a fun car, if ony it had back seats. Definately a great experience having owned it. The slot car handling was nothing short of amazing and I dont think I'll have another car that handled like that thing. See page 2 for the "after" photos of the S10 detailed. I've known this S10 for 3 years cause my buddy owned it so I know it was well maintained drivetrain-wise. Just needed some cleaning up.:cool:
Then that makes it an even better deal seeing that you even know the vehicles past history. But yeah back when Mazda was doing those Rev-It-Up events me and Katshot went one year and I test drove a MazdaSpeed Miata and that was nothing short but amazing. Handling was amazing, and with the turbo (even though it was putting out that much boost) made the car finally have some balls but even so they were only good for I think low 15's in the 1/4 but at the same time the car is far from being a dragster. But I would love to pick up a MS Miata any day. But I just checked out the after pics and she looks like she's brand new damn near. I'm starting to agree with the others though that you should have kept the graphics on it but yeah you definately need to get rid of those "altezzas" and the fartpipe.

91sonomast
03-11-08, 10:26 PM
truck looks awesome. Sorry, i forgot about the thread lol. But i see you figured out that 3rd Gen F-Body wheels fit nicely. 4th Gen wheels require a spacer, about 3.5 inches, and so do vette wheels. I like the interior alot, have you given it a good beating yet? The little 4.3 is quite surprising, even better with a manual, it will cook the tires for a 1/8th mile if you want it too lol. went from a oogly truck, to a respectable work-truck fairly quickly and easily, i also agree with the tails, not the prettiest, but whatcha gonna do?

Destroyer
03-13-08, 10:32 AM
truck looks awesome. Sorry, i forgot about the thread lol. But i see you figured out that 3rd Gen F-Body wheels fit nicely. 4th Gen wheels require a spacer, about 3.5 inches, and so do vette wheels. I like the interior alot, have you given it a good beating yet? The little 4.3 is quite surprising, even better with a manual, it will cook the tires for a 1/8th mile if you want it too lol. went from a oogly truck, to a respectable work-truck fairly quickly and easily, i also agree with the tails, not the prettiest, but whatcha gonna do?Truck runs great. I've already put over 1000 miles on it with absolutely no problems. I've romped on it a few times but not excessively (damn gas prices) and its pretty quick for what it is. Next week I'm gonna run at the 1/8 mile track for shits and giggles. I'll tint the tails like Elias suggested but its a work truck and it gets better mpg's than any of my other V8 vechicles so it'll stay around awhile.