: Head Gaskets Failure 97 STS

RICOMRD
03-01-08, 07:16 PM
Well the dreaded head gasket failure finally happened with 86,000 on the odometer of my 97 STS. :banghead: The engine was showing the usual signs of head gasket failure. I decided today to find out. I pulled the plugs and could draw coolant with a big syringe and a piece of hose attached to it, out of two cylinders one on each bank. Not good news!!!

I have decided to tackle this task without pulling the cradle. This due to current space limitations available. I know the task would be greatly uncomplicated if the cradle could be pulled, and there has been a few of you that have completed this task without pulling the cradle. Could you share your experience with me and advise me on what do I have to look out for. I will order the time-sert kit on Monday, just ordered the gasket kit today and head bolt kit. The rest of the materials and parts will be purchased in the following days.

I want to plan ahead before I tackle this task and approach the project carefully. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Submariner409
03-01-08, 07:24 PM
One of the drawbacks to not dropping the engine for a head gasket job is that the necessary Timesert machinery cannot be used correctly on the right (rear) block surface with the engine in the car. That's one of the main reasons the labor rate is so high for the job: you must drop the engine.

If you go through the labor to drop the cradle and expose the whole drivetrain you'll do a much better mechanical job just because the work is easier and FAR more accessible. Besides, you'll probably discover other "nice-to-fix" areas......

Ranger
03-01-08, 07:29 PM
I seem to recall someone once say that you could drill out the rear bolt holes if you used a 90 angle drill. That said, Sub is right.

Rafterd
03-02-08, 08:55 PM
I sure do like the look of the Norm's inserts over the Timeserts. I will be using Norm's when I do mine.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ns300l&category0=

Bill

dkozloski
03-02-08, 09:37 PM
I sure do like the look of the Norm's inserts over the Timeserts. I will be using Norm's when I do mine.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ns300l&category0=

Bill
The old Rube Goldbeg vs. Joe McGee argument. Rube Goldberg(TimeSert) is ingenuity and Joe McGee(Norm's) is brute force and awkwardness.