: I finally got it done-replaced subwoofer

cvsting
03-01-08, 07:29 PM
I found a dual voice coil delco factory non-bose subwoofer on ebay for $20.00. The picture looked just mine in a 2000 Deville, which was blown. And I looked the world over for a free air dual voice coil non factory sub and could not find any that would fit. so I figured what the heck I'll buy it and see if it works, at worse I could waste 20 bucks. It was listed as being out of a 2004 CTS GM part number 9376880 (GMpartsdirect.com list it for $76.00) the one that is supposed to fit my 2000 Deville list for like $160.00 on GM Parts direct.

Guess what it is a different part number but is the exact same subwoofer for about half the price.

I took this afternoon and put it in and it works great and fits perfect.

It was about a three hour job. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what releases the upper part of the back seat. There are four slots across the top of the upper back seat and you take a large flat head screwdriver and slide it behind the seat and push down on the slot while pulling out on the seat. at the bottom of the upper back seat there are bolts on each side that hold the seat belts in place as well as the seat brackets, take those out too.

Two plastic push pins hold the rear deck on they are behind the upper back seat, I took them out and did not have to take the rear deck all the way out, I just raised it up enough to get the four push pins holding the subwoofer in place and pulled the sub up and out.

I am pleased at how it went. So if you cannot find a used sub on ebay like I did, at least you know you can find one at gmpartsdirect for about half of what you would pay to replace the one called for in a 2000-2005 Deville.

91sonomast
03-02-08, 12:09 AM
and another note, i think corvettes use/used a 10 inch dvc sub in the doors, and possibly xlr's

DaddyJ
03-26-08, 10:07 PM
Thanks cvsting for all the info. It will save me a lot of time.

1automan
07-01-08, 12:22 AM
Considering that you've had the speaker installed nearly 4 months now, do you have any regrets using the CTS speaker in your Deville? I need to replace the sub in my 2000 Deville, and was considering using the CTS sub as well from gmpartsdirect based on your post. However, I am slightly concerned about sacrificing the sound quality (although it has to sound better than my current speaker).

SouthernCountry
07-04-08, 08:58 AM
Jus saw this post, could have saved u some time, I had to replace my sub in my deville too, they wanted way too much in my eyes for that factoy that didnt sound good. I bought the kappa perfect 10" and it fit perfectly and sounds great but it needs an amp to maximize it. It is the only non factory sub that will work in an free air enclosure such as your trunk. Got mine for less than $200 on ebay. I replaced all my factory with kappa perfects, 6.5" and 5.25".

BAMSTS
08-06-08, 06:03 PM
I'm not familiar at all with car audio so sorry if this sounds studpid. The sub you (southern country) said you replaced the factory with was a kappa perfect 10"? No other specific name or anything? Also do you know the wattage of the factory amp and what was the wattage of the kappa sub you replaced the original with? Lastly is it an east DIY install, or should I have an audio tech install it? Thanks any reply will be useful.

tjlwolf
04-01-09, 09:42 PM
OMG..thanks for this info!!

Help me understand..I just cant go buy any 10"sub to replace this? I dont have bose

cvsting
07-30-09, 10:54 PM
1automan,

It is the exact same sub and it sounds fine.

jcresciSTS
07-30-09, 11:30 PM
Infinity Kappa 10" sub

You can always get creative and build an IB in the rear deck

SouthernCountry
07-31-09, 01:10 AM
I'm not familiar at all with car audio so sorry if this sounds studpid. The sub you (southern country) said you replaced the factory with was a kappa perfect 10"? No other specific name or anything? Also do you know the wattage of the factory amp and what was the wattage of the kappa sub you replaced the original with? Lastly is it an east DIY install, or should I have an audio tech install it? Thanks any reply will be useful.

I forgot I posted in this one last year. Well I don't have that car any more. She got totaled. I made a stupid mistake not keeping the factory speakers. I lost all my Kappas cause of that oh well.