Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Looking at my first newer cadillac 93 FWB

614 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cadillacboy 
#1 ·
Actually for my buddy, first time we've really dealt with a newer car. 94K miles with a rebuilt trans. First look at night seemed pretty good. Anything in particular to look for or expect? Might be a 93 or 94.

thanks!

#2 ·
93 and 94 are very different in the engine department. 93 is the old style 350 (LO5 option, TBI injection), and the 94 gets the LT1 (sequential port FI, much more HP).

Both are great motors (I have cars with one of each). Both have advantages, and both have drawbacks. More power and better mileage with the LT1, at the expense of higher maintenance costs when it needs things like water pumps.

#3 ·
Both are great motors (I have cars with one of each). Both have advantages, and both have drawbacks. More power and better mileage with the LT1, at the expense of higher maintenance costs when it needs things like water pumps.
I myself have been pondering getting an LT1 Brougham, but just how much more is maintenance costs? 2x, 3x, 4x? ..per year? I think it's about 70 bucks to replace the water pump on an LO5, but how much for an LT1? One of the reasons I like these old RWDs is that they are easy and cheap to work on; I don't want it to be like owning a Ferrari. :hide:

Greg

#4 ·
Honestly, I paid $57 for a water pump on my LT1. And it was easier to change than any other car I have ever done short of my 3800 91 Bonneville.

People rag on the Opti's being so unreliable. But lets be serious, most Optis don't fail till well over 150K miles. How long will your non Opti last if you didn't touch it for 150K miles? Ok, once it DOES go, it is due to the lack of maintenance. Swap your Opti's cap and rotor out at 100K like you should and while you are at it, swap in new seals (water leakage from the WP can be an issue if seals are bad) and you likely will NOT have any issues for a long long time.

What seems to fail is the sensors get plugged up with rust from the water leakage, or HV from a bad cap zaps it, either way, the Opti itself isn't the PROBLEM, it is something else. Is it the best idea to put a 50KV distributor under a water pump? No, not really. But I would bet an Opti on a shaft where the dizzy should be would last forever with proper maint.

Don't fret them. Do good maint and don't ignore it till it fails like the average Joe does... I have gone 100K on my Opti and about a year ago I pulled the cap/rotor and polished them up and put in new seals and a WP (I was going in, why not?) and it has proven a very good dizzy. I am at 244K now, and 100K in the last 3 years (almost to the day) and my Opti was already replace before I got it, but has been fine despite the high miles I drive it.

Reliability of drivetrain the LT1 cars? Among the best of all cars. But mine IS an V4P tow package car and I am also at 244K on stock trans too.... Not too many 4L60E's do that either...

#5 ·
I totally agree with the statement concerning optis. My waterpump (95 LT1) was dripping on my opti for TWO YEARS before the rear seal finally gave up (it was very dramatic, and some of the ball bearings actually went, too!). I considered swapping the opti when I did the WP (which is very easy, btw), but I decided to see if it would survive. Four years, and thousands of miles later? It's still fine. Also, I used the cheapes rebuilt water pump I could find, and it is holding up nicely, too!

I should clarify my position: I believe the power and the gas mileage of the LT1 trumps the LO5. If everything else is the same (condition, mileage, options, colours)... go for the 94/5/6. I like the LO5 in my Roadmaster wagon, but I would rather have an LT1 (especially with the gas prices these days).

#6 ·
You can't go wrong w/ LT1 :yup: :bouncy: .I am very happy with my car . Still, '93 Fleetwoods are nice too .However let's ay they lack of some components like a primitive A/C system .I'm calling it like that because you can't upgrade your climiate control buttons if you ever want it like '94-96s .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.