: 2002 DTS trouble

dqao
03-01-08, 08:59 AM
Hey Guys .Im new to this site and i would really like some help before returning to dealer. I have a 2002 Deville DTS and when it is real cold out i have trouble starting it . I crank it and it shut off like it is not getting gas and sometimes it will crank but it idle real low then shut off. I have to press the gas to get it going for about 45 seconds. I have no problem with it once it warms up or if is is warm outside. Does anyone know what this problem could be.

Ranger
03-01-08, 10:42 AM
Start by pulling the DTC's, then clean the TB.

dqao
03-01-08, 03:38 PM
Im new to this so what are DTC's and i take it that TB is the throttle body

JimD
03-01-08, 04:21 PM
DTCs are Diagnostic Trouble Codes and here is how to display them on your car -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/55172-how-pull-codes-got-codes-warning.html

For engine problems, pay attention to "P" codes.

Ranger
03-01-08, 05:21 PM
i take it that TB is the throttle body
Correct.

dqao
03-01-08, 05:50 PM
I checked the codes and there are not any "P" codes.The only codes are IMP B4029 current, MSM B1845 history, MSM B1875 history, TTM B2858 history and these codes dont have any revelance to the engine performance. So do you think cleaning the throttle body will help. I would like to have an idea of the problem before i take it to the dealer.

Ranger
03-01-08, 06:03 PM
A dirty TB will not set a DTC, but if it is carboned real bad the IAC (Idle Air Control) circuit can get plugged and cause idle problems. Clean it before you go to the dealer. They will charge you $100 - $150 for "TB service".

dqao
03-01-08, 07:03 PM
Is there a thread that will tell me how to clean the TB.I can turn a wrench.

Ranger
03-01-08, 07:24 PM
Check the Tech Tips section, but there is really nothing to it. Just remove the intake ducting. I think on your model the MAF sensor is in the ducting so that is one less thing to remove. Then block the throttle plate open. Useing TB cleaner, tooth brush and a rag, scrub the throttle plate (backside & perimeter) as well as the throttle bore till it is clean and shiny. When you are done, stuff the rag into the manifold to sop up as much cleaner as you can. Replace everything you removed. and then :alchi:

dqao
03-01-08, 08:53 PM
Thanks i will try that tomorrow. Will let you know how it go

91sonomast
03-01-08, 09:57 PM
i would bet that TB cleaning helps your issue. The TB on these are such a critical thing, i see customers who neglect their maintenance and then come in complaining how their car doesnt run right, we then sell the TB clean as a fix for the car instead of preventative maintenance(no price difference), and usually it will clear up ALOT if not all of their idle, and running problems. We suggest to clean it every 30k miles. Also when you are cleaning, on the top left side of the TB(when looking directly into it) you will see a air passage where a sensor looking deal is plugged in, that is your IAC(Idle Air Control), make sure u spray that well and clean it the best you can with your brush. If you have some of those little tobacco pipe cleaners use one of those and scrub it the best you can. Also don't use a metal brush, it will scar up your TB.