: easy way to dry your car

northstar518
05-19-04, 06:22 PM
I bought a Toro 51591 electric leaf blower (215 mph air speed) for 60 bucks. Haven't used it yet;read a thread in the detailing section of Caddyforums and some guys said it was the way to go.Anyone have any experience using one.

tzoid
05-19-04, 09:26 PM
I bought a Toro 51591 electric leaf blower (215 mph air speed) for 60 bucks. Haven't used it yet;read a thread in the detailing section of Caddyforums and some guys said it was the way to go.Anyone have any experience using one.
Have used one for the last 4 years drying my cars. Gets water out of most of the cracks and crevices. Final touch up dry with a cotton towel (ala Zaino) or the tried and true chamois. It's actually much faster and does a way better job...you won't have that annoying drip from the mirrors or trunk lid. Neighbors will think your goofy, but that's OK too!

c5 rv
05-19-04, 10:39 PM
I've used a Toro electric blower for a couple years. Keep multiple coats of Zaino (or NXT if you prefer) on the car to help the water jump off the paint. Be careful to keep the nozzle and the power cord off the car. Dry the dribble sources first: rear bezel, bottom of trunk lid, gas door, mirrors, door handles, and and wheels. Then generally work from top to bottom. If the sun is hot, you may leave tiny, spotting droplets behind that you need to dry off quickly.

ctsvett
05-19-04, 11:37 PM
i use a craftsman shop vac (which converts to a blower). It works really well except that you need to make sure that the tip stays in. because of the force of the wind, it has a tendancy to blow off the tip and scuff the car...

ditto on what was said about the cord...

reed

RobertCTS
05-20-04, 10:49 AM
I LIKE MY METHOD BEST. AFTER YOU WASH THE CAR TAKE IT OUT ON THE FREEWAY. AT MACH 1 ALL THE WATER DISAPPEARS...REALLY!:rolleyes:
RobertCTS

briandors
05-20-04, 05:32 PM
The Mr. Clean AutoDry product works very well, but I doubt it's quicker than a leaf blower. The sprayer you buy has 3 settings. First you rinse with regular water, then you soap up, then you rinse with regular water, and finally a filtered water rinse. The combination of specially formulated soap and the filtered water rinse leaves the car spotless, no drying at all. First time I used it I was a little disappointed but I spent way too much time trying to rinse heavily with filtered water. Trick is, do a good regular water rinse and then just quickly wet down the car with the filtered water.
Beautiful and spotless! Perhaps not worth the $18 or so for the sprayer plus $7 for filter and $6 for soap (each last about 10 washes).

Brian

miscreant
05-20-04, 05:54 PM
I used to use a blower. Till one day I picked it up, turned it on, and shot manure all over my car. Seems my wife had used it to clean up a spilled compost pile earlier that day...:banghead:

ktills45
05-20-04, 06:23 PM
I used to use a blower. Till one day I picked it up, turned it on, and shot manure all over my car. Seems my wife had used it to clean up a spilled compost pile earlier that day...:banghead:

:rofl:

nickss
05-21-04, 09:43 PM
Harley Davidson recommends using a leaf blower to dry new bikes. Read it on their website in the detailing section. I always wondered how they were able to wash & dry my bike so fast at the dealer when it was in for service.
Robert

Sandy
05-22-04, 08:33 AM
"" Neighbors will think your goofy, but that's OK too! ""

Why, TZOID ?? Is that not the method used at car washes?
I've used my lawn & leaf blower exclusicely to dry my car(s) now for 15 years. No neighbor ever said anything to me about it (none of them ever wash their own cars). I think it actually makes the most sence. See,s like you agree.

exceldetail
05-24-04, 04:35 PM
As posted on another forum:

"After the vehicle is completely finished, remove the nozzle from the hose end, and let the water exit the hose without any added pressure. Hold the hose a couple inches from the roof surface, and start at the high end of the vehicle. Chase the water across the surface with the flow exiting the hose. Run/sheet the water across the surface, and continue with the hood, and rear deck, and sides.
When all is said and done, open the hood and trunk, and let the remaining water sheet itself off while you dry the sides with a Waffle Weave drying towel. (At this point, some like to use quick detailers or Eagle One’s “Wax as u Dry”.) Start at the top, and work your way down to lower panels, refold the waffle weave as it absorbs water, a 24x30 towel is generally all that is needed. You may want to follow in your other hand with a clean and dry microfiber 16x16 towel. "

I also use a high pressure nozzle on the end of my air line to blow out emblems, and crevices, way more efficient than a Toro.....

hcvone
05-24-04, 04:55 PM
Toro leaf blower and cotton towels, been doing this for over 5 years now. :)

exceldetail
05-25-04, 01:57 AM
HC, nothing wrong with your method, but methods and materials have improved vastly in the last 5 yrs......

Msilva954
05-25-04, 08:10 AM
Im pretty sure HC uses the best cotton towles as he is a Zaino man......but down here unless you spend $15 your getting crappy wanna be 100% towles made in some weird country.

hcvone
05-25-04, 09:07 AM
HC, nothing wrong with your method, but methods and materials have improved vastly in the last 5 yrs......

New leaf blowers ;) Most microfiber towels have not improved in the last 5 years, there are a few good ones but the quality still varies from batch to batch, there is a cotton microfiber made in the USA that seem to be working very well.

exceldetail
05-26-04, 12:15 AM
New leaf blowers ;) Most microfiber towels have not improved in the last 5 years, there are a few good ones but the quality still varies from batch to batch, there is a cotton microfiber made in the USA that seem to be working very well.Where have you purchased MF's in the past ??

hcvone
05-26-04, 09:20 AM
Where have you purchased MF's in the past ??

Two trips to China, one trip to Korea, and one trip to Thailand to meet with several manufacturers as well as, Cobra (regular and waffle), Pinnacle Miracle Towels, Viper Ultra Soft, Magic Towel, Dragon's Breath, Dragon Fibre, Meguiar's Ultimate Wipes, Kimberly - Clark (blue and green), DF Concours , Microfiber Tech, MicroSuede, Mother's Microfiber, Ultra Brand, Microfiber Unlimited, YoSteve's Towels, Aquis-Britanne, Pro Microfiber, Simplee Cleen

That is the first page of towels we have tried, I have 3 more pages of manufactures towels that we have tried, just do not have anymore time to type them out. :)

exceldetail
05-27-04, 02:18 AM
HC, bad choice of words....I guess what I meant was thay are so readily available now to the consumer and car enthusiats. Not that they have changed but its no longer a limited supply commodity. They are readily available at KMARTS, Walmarts, most automotive retailers, and there online everywhere.....The choices are many, i offer 7 different ones myself, and that grows as I find the availability.....

1toycad
06-01-04, 05:27 PM
I LIKE MY METHOD BEST. AFTER YOU WASH THE CAR TAKE IT OUT ON THE FREEWAY. AT MACH 1 ALL THE WATER DISAPPEARS...REALLY!:rolleyes:
RobertCTS
I tried that. After hitting Mach One I noticed something funny. The paint just peeled right off. Now I have to deal with that bare metal look. :thumbsup:

BTW, I also have one of those electric leaf blowers. How in the world do they figure that it blows at 215 mph. That's hurricane force..........

Msilva954
06-01-04, 09:54 PM
I asked myself the same thing yesterday.....200mph......mine can barely blow small rocks....youd think at 200mph that rock would fly into the next persons car window or something...lol.

1toycad
06-02-04, 02:31 PM
I asked myself the same thing yesterday.....200mph......mine can barely blow small rocks....youd think at 200mph that rock would fly into the next persons car window or something...lol.
Hey MSilva, if anyone knows about hurricanes it would be you guys in Florida. 215 mph??? No way my leaf blower can do that.

BTW, I lived for a year in Hialeah--a long time ago. Nice place. I learned to drive a stick shift in the race track parking lot. The humidity just about killed me though.