: maggie owners

v10boost
02-29-08, 03:15 AM
How much power does your V make on dyno? Please tell which dyno you have used, mustang, dynojet etc. Also, which other supporting mods you have with maggie. I talked to maggie supercharger and tech told me that stock car with maggie put down 480rwhp.

thanks

rand49er
02-29-08, 07:08 AM
How much power does your V make on dyno? Please tell which dyno you have used, mustang, dynojet etc. Also, which other supporting mods you have with maggie. I talked to maggie supercharger and tech told me that stock car with maggie put down 480rwhp.

thanks480 rwhp is probably at the high end ... 2.6" pulley, alky inj, proper tune, other bolt ons.

Need onebadcad to chime in.

Venomous-V
02-29-08, 09:33 AM

thanks

BULLSH**!
what randy said is correct. you will probably see 430 to the wheels stock maggie.

LUVMY04V
02-29-08, 09:54 AM
I want one soo bad!!!!!!!! :D Maybe if i win the St. patty's day lotto millionare raffle :) http://www.illinoislottery.com/

ronr
02-29-08, 10:15 AM
I haven't had mine on a dyno but I believe Rand49er is correct.

rand49er
02-29-08, 10:29 AM
There's another issue here as well.

With stock internals (crank, rods, pistons), in order to put down high 400's at the rear wheels, you're close to exceeding the failure point of that motor if not beyond it (from what I gather).

BTW, another guy to ask is BlackSunshine ... maybe stkshkr, too, though he's not stock anymore.

CTSV_Rob
02-29-08, 11:14 AM
But stkshkr may know where the break point is on a stock block.

Gordy Petrovski
02-29-08, 11:19 AM
320whp - Stock
420whp - Maggie
430whp - 2.8 & retune
& 65,000 miles later I am still :D
Not sure the dyno type it was at (21st Century Muscle Cars)

LUVMY04V
02-29-08, 11:33 AM
320whp - Stock
420whp - Maggie
430whp - 2.8 & retune
Not sure the dyno type it was at (21st Century Muscle Cars)any diff problems ??

rand49er
02-29-08, 11:43 AM
Gordy, I can't recall, do you have headers, too?

With headers, I guess I would have expected around 440, maybe a little bit more ... though I'm probably just suffering from wishful thinking. :o

whisler151
02-29-08, 11:58 AM
320whp - Stock
420whp - Maggie
430whp - 2.8 & retune

21st Century in Carrollton?

RodSmith32
02-29-08, 12:41 PM
461whp on a mustang dyno with headers, exhaust, 2.8 pulley, and tune. Lots of fun, now I need to talk the wife into allowing me to beef up the motor and see how much more is in there. :lildevil:

stkshkr
02-29-08, 01:23 PM
Expect about 420-430 stock with the 2.8 pulley (dynojet). With alky injection, a 2.6 pulley, headers, no cats, Corsa and a great tune (thanks Rick) I got in the 480's (dynojet). We'll see shortly what it will produce with a built motor, but I'm not expecting any tremendous gains.

BryanS
02-29-08, 01:45 PM
458 with dynojet. Corsa, CAI, headers and tune. Could maybe get another 15 with more agressive tune but would rather be safe.

trukk
02-29-08, 02:04 PM
At a dyno day at Tony's Corvettes I saw 2 car w/ maggies (Gary and Marty). Both had 2.8" pullies (I beleive), and cat backs.

One pulled 410, then 420 with a better tune.

The other pulled 430, but also had extrude honed exhasut manifolds.

This was on a SuperFlow WynDyn dyno (eddy current like a Mustang)

-Chris

onebadcad
02-29-08, 03:38 PM
Chiming in:

Stock LS6, Maggie 2.8", CAI, B&B Headers and Exhaust, 220/228 177 530/555 blower cam got me:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/onebadcad/CTSV2005DYNOCHART.jpg

I believe 490RWHP is attainable with above mods and great tune-the cam upgrade is good for an additional 20-30 RWHP. Regarding the 130RWHP gain from just a Maggie, if I subtract 25RWHP for cam, 30RWHP for the bolt ons, you get 435RWHP, and assuming a Stock V makes 330RWHP (17.5% drivetrain loss), the Maggie gets you about 105RWHP using my number of 490RWHP.

And here is the V with 383ci and the blower 'overdriven' by Magnuson (was dynoed again in Dec 2006 on a colder day and got another 10RWHP/10TQ but cannot locate graph), using a 2.8" pulley (recent mods were AFR 225s, bigger cam, Mez WP, some other expensive crap I probably did not need):

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/onebadcad/05_CTSV_nonmeth.jpg

I have a spec/re-build sheet somewhere in my office for the work Magnusson completed. IIRC, they do not port and polish as unit is already pretty clean and think the majority of work is done with the rear pulley. I have yet to see anyone approach 560RWTQ, so I think this is biggest reason for my gains after the stock set-up.

Regarding the stock internals, I do not claim to know the limits, nor wish to incur liability/blame for stating such but have seen some mad numbers reliant on a good (and safe) tune and sometimes a methanol kit for safety. For example:

1) My stock LS2 on my 2005 C6 has close to 600RWHP with ProCharger
2) Friends C5 Z06 stock LS6 w/ProCharger recently dynoed at 620RWHP
3) C6 in Vette Magazine was 740 at the flywheel, stock motor

BTW, Chris can speak to dyno type, SAE correction, ambient conditions, etc... The same dyno pulled a stock V at 320RWHP, so I do not think my numbers are inflated.

CIWS
02-29-08, 03:57 PM

Dynojet :)

trukk
02-29-08, 04:12 PM
BTW, Chris can speak to dyno type, SAE correction, ambient conditions, etc... The same dyno pulled a stock V at 320RWHP, so I do not think my numbers are inflated.

Uhh oh, hope I'm not getting a rep as a dyno naysayer :D

I do know your shi!t will run all over mine!

-Chris

onebadcad
02-29-08, 04:39 PM
Uhh oh, hope I'm not getting a rep as a dyno naysayer :D

I do know your shi!t will run all over mine!

-Chris

Yeah, but I like ya, so if you are even down in SoFlo, you can take both rides for a spin---be sure to bring a couple pairs of brown boxers, as you will need 'em.

And you actually taught me a few things about dynos, so all is good;).

qqik4u
02-29-08, 06:22 PM
Here is my two cents worth -

CAI, Magnuson supercharger, High airflow cats, Kooks headers, Corsa Exhaust, Corvette tune (486 bhp at wheel). Other upgrades just for fun: UUC shifter, UUC Bushings, UUC knob, SS brake lines, Nitto tires, dual DVD Headrest system, powder coated wheels and calipers, racing pedals, Tinted windows.

I like the sound of maggie combined with the headers :-)

Mick

v10boost
02-29-08, 07:55 PM
At a dyno day at Tony's Corvettes I saw 2 car w/ maggies (Gary and Marty). Both had 2.8" pullies (I beleive), and cat backs.

One pulled 410, then 420 with a better tune.

The other pulled 430, but also had extrude honed exhasut manifolds.

This was on a SuperFlow WynDyn dyno (eddy current like a Mustang)

-Chris

extrude honed exhaust manifold? do you mean honed heads?

v10boost
02-29-08, 07:59 PM
Here is my two cents worth -

CAI, Magnuson supercharger, High airflow cats, Kooks headers, Corsa Exhaust, Corvette tune (486 bhp at wheel). Other upgrades just for fun: UUC shifter, UUC Bushings, UUC knob, SS brake lines, Nitto tires, dual DVD Headrest system, powder coated wheels and calipers, racing pedals, Tinted windows.

I like the sound of maggie combined with the headers :-)

Mick

UUC shifter, UUC Bushings, UUC knob, SS brake lines, Nitto tires, dual DVD Headrest system, powder coated wheels and calipers, racing pedals, Tinted windows.

How much HP these parts make alone? :)

keeksv
02-29-08, 08:44 PM
2.8 pulley, stock motor, headers and RT cats, ported throttle body(not much there, I know): 425whp and 450wtq on Mustang with a conservative daily driver tune.

11.91 1/4 mile @ 115, 1.68 60' on BFG DRs--this is what counts, right Gene?

CTSV_Rob
02-29-08, 09:10 PM
2.8 pulley, stock motor, headers and RT cats, ported throttle body(not much there, I know): 425whp and 450wtq on Mustang with a conservative daily driver tune.

11.91 1/4 mile @ 115, 1.68 60' on BFG DRs--this is what counts, right Gene?
Do you have a dyno run for that, I would like to see the torque curve.

rand49er
02-29-08, 09:16 PM
2.8 pulley, stock motor, headers and RT cats, ported throttle body ... 425whp and 450wtq on Mustang with a conservative daily driver tune. ... 11.91 1/4 mile @ 115, 1.68 60' on BFG DRs ...Dang, you must have good reactions and know how to launch! :thumbsup:

Gordy Petrovski
02-29-08, 11:28 PM
any diff problems ??

No prob with the diff ( drive like a sissy ) I do have a extra diff in the garage just in case.:D

Gordy, I can't recall, do you have headers, too?

With headers, I guess I would have expected around 440, maybe a little bit more ... though I'm probably just suffering from wishful thinking. :o

No headers

rand49er
02-29-08, 11:40 PM
... No headersYou're set up similar to ronr. Love his car. Driving it and his experience with the Magnuson was instrumental in my getting a maggie.

keeksv
03-01-08, 12:04 PM
Do you have a dyno run for that, I would like to see the torque curve.

I posted it here a while ago. I'll see if I can find it for you.

keeksv
03-01-08, 12:15 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/99850-maggie-kooks-dyno-results.html

crappy scan, sorry. was a little low on my recollection of whp, too.

sorry urb if this isn't the way to post a link

Luna.
03-01-08, 04:12 PM
Let me state from the beginning that I believe that the primary job of a dyno is to evaluate how various power-adders are performing, nothing more. Dynos across the US produce different results & cross comparing the two will lead to you banging your head against the wall. I knew of one V owner who claimed ~480rwhp, with similar mods that I had, and I was nowhere near those numbers at A&A Corvette (in Oxnard). Such gentlemen, however, eventually went to A&A and his car ended up generating lower dyno numbers than my car did (something like 420 rwhp with mail-order tune).

What does all this mean? Don't get too caught up in dyno numbers. It's merely a tool for evaluation. Unless, of course, claiming huge numbers on the internet gets you excited... :)

That said, I've NEVER seen anything near 480 rwhp (~stock + maggie), nor has anyone from Magnason ever represented that to me; I live in Ventura and have stopped by numerous times, for various reasons (not saying I don't believe you, just that this guy was "puffing" something fierce).

I probably have 40-50 dyno pulls on a Dynojet dyno at A&A Corvette. Unfortunately, I did NOT do a stock pull, but I do believe, after review of a LOT of dyno pulls from other stock Vs, that 330-340 is a reasonable expectation.

How much you get out of your maggie (no internal work done, of course, like a cam, etc.) is largely dependent on the size of your front pulley (people discussed changing the rear pulley, but I don't believe that is really necessary). I think Magnason changed Maggie (minorly) following my purchase in late '05, but it used to come with either a 3.0" or 2.8" pulley. The 3.0" pulley was utter trash. The 2.8" woke the car up tremendously.

At A&A Corvette, with a tune, the results I've seen from both my car and other simiarly equipped Maggie run Vs is about 440-450 rwhp and 400-410 rwtq.

If you go to a 2.6" pulley (watch for beltslip, which I had!) or a 8.0" crankshaft pulley (my current setup, which I believe generates a tad more boost), look for your entire torque curve to shift up (note that HP didn't shoot up nearly as much as my torque did). At A&A Corvette, with a tune, look for ~460-470 rwhp and about 450-460 rwtq. It's at this level where TRACTION becomes a problem and driving the car is a LOT of fun. You can just feel the tires "chewing" up the pavement with that much rwtq. Yes, the 2.8"/450rwhp/410rwtq setup is really nice and all, but the added, say 40 ft lbs of torque make driving the car drastically different. The change in rwhp is immaterial & you can't even really feel it.

Coincedentially, my current setup is about what I expect the new '09V to produce. But that car comes from the FACTORY with that much power... :)

Note that, once again, don't use any dyno numbers are the end-all, be-all of what your particular V will generate. Find a location that you feel comfortable having your car dynoed at and evaluate the effectiveness of power adders via subsequent dyno runs accordingly. Internet boasting might be fun and all, but that isn't going to help you on the track, nor the streets.

In any case, hope this helps.

EDIT--on an unrelated note, I'm STILL on the stock, garbage '05 differential. :p

heavymetals
03-01-08, 08:00 PM
Luna, you were there the day my Z06 pulled 485.

Stock motor, maggie, Borla exhaust, Blackwing intake.

I figure a stock V at about 340.

An additional 100 RWHP from a maggie is not unreasonable.

The exhaust system makes a differance after that as the stock one becomes too restrictive.

Leeman
03-01-08, 08:54 PM
So, what is the latest story on Maggies ? I thought I had heard some problems people were having with them ?
Reliable ?

-- Lee

Luna.
03-01-08, 09:43 PM
Luna, you were there the day my Z06 pulled 485.

Yeah, but that's a Vette. :lildevil:

An additional 100 RWHP from a maggie is not unreasonable.

Agree, unless, you get the 3.0" pulley. That thing stunk something fierce...

Luna.
03-01-08, 09:45 PM
So, what is the latest story on Maggies ? I thought I had heard some problems people were having with them ?
Reliable ?

-- Lee

I've had one issue with my maggie in ~30k miles and Magnason fixed it for free. Keep in mind, however, I'm overdriving my maggie and it's still not having a significant number of issues. Interpret as you wish.

Leeman
03-01-08, 09:58 PM
Did you do the initial install yourself, or pay someone else to do it ?

-- Lee

heavymetals
03-01-08, 10:06 PM
Amazing how much differance the exhaust makes huh?

I am suprised you haven't put a 122 on yours.

Luna.
03-02-08, 12:04 AM
Did you do the initial install yourself, or pay someone else to do it ?

-- Lee

Paid to have my local dealership do it. I believe in building goodwill in your dealership and having THEM install the maggie has some benefits.

Amazing how much differance the exhaust makes huh?

I am suprised you haven't put a 122 on yours.

I rationalize that a 122 would require significant changes to the motor. If I was to change the block, I'd probably just go with an LS-7 or equivalent. :)

I can't deny that the '09 V is catching my eye though...

heavymetals
03-02-08, 12:24 AM
Theres always a faster gun......:rolleyes:

SkullV
03-02-08, 12:49 AM
Procharger......

v10boost
03-02-08, 11:25 AM
what changes do you have to make to fit 122 on V? I heard stock hood can't be used, is this right? I have ordered 112 but I really wanted to get 122. Please post what has to be done to get 122 in V.

Thanks

rand49er
03-02-08, 11:34 AM
I've heard hood and engine internals.

'Course, don't have to mention diff.

trukk
03-03-08, 11:42 AM
extrude honed exhaust manifold? do you mean honed heads?

Extrude Honed exhasut manifold. Cleans up the cast iron very nice. It won't produce header-liek numbers, but it's better than stock.

A good alternative if you don't want to deal with headers.

-Chris