: Prince Harry is a grunt.

dkozloski
02-28-08, 10:33 PM
It's no surprise that when the chips are down Prince Harry gets the job done.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4362519&page=1

CadillacGurl
02-28-08, 11:09 PM
:patriot: Go Prince Harry! I love the humble royal prince even more!

TomDeville
02-29-08, 01:29 AM
Moreover; he is not ugly
like his father.

:cool2:

Rolex
02-29-08, 08:06 AM
Wearing a uniform and playing with guns a grunt, does not make.

dkozloski
02-29-08, 10:10 AM
That's true, he's a Forward Air Controller.

BigJon
02-29-08, 10:26 AM
that kind of cool congrats for him

93DevilleUSMC
02-29-08, 12:28 PM
He is a good man. Now if only the Hollywood crowd would follow his example.

77CDV
02-29-08, 02:19 PM
Isn't leading troops into battle sort of the point of royalty? It's cool Harry followed through on his vow to fight or quit the service, but I'll be impressed when big brother Willy puts his a** on the firing line.

EcSTSatic
02-29-08, 02:41 PM
Isn't leading troops into battle sort of the point of royalty? It's cool Harry followed through on his vow to fight or quit the service, but I'll be impressed when big brother Willy puts his a** on the firing line.

Kings of old would do it. Now they're mostly politicians, sending the young off to do the dirty work. It didn't take much to understand how John Fogerty's song "Fortunate Son" was inspired.

gdwriter
02-29-08, 04:27 PM
At the request of the British military (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/29/AR2008022900743.html?hpid=artslot), media in the UK had agreed not to publicize this information to avoid creating a high-value target for Al Qaeda. Then Matt Sludge, er Drudge, put it on his blog. Now, Harry's being pulled off the front lines. Nice going, a**hole. Way to piss off one of our staunchest allies.

I admire Harry for making the effort to serve in Afghanistan, insisting on it even after he was not allowed to go to Iraq because he'd be such an inviting target. And kudos to the British media for having the good sense to honor the military's request. I have a journalism degree and strongly believe in freedom of the press, but that right should be applied responsibly.

After Harry had completed his tour, the news embargo could be lifted, but to blab it to the world now is unnecessary and ultimately, a dickish move.

Ranger
02-29-08, 05:22 PM
Very true. I am quite sure that any unit he is in is somewhat assignment pampered. That said, at least he served and is in a combat zone. More than we can say for a past "Commander in Chief".

dkozloski
02-29-08, 05:58 PM
Very true. I am quite sure that any unit he is in is somewhat assignment pampered. That said, at least he served and is in a combat zone. More than we can say for a past "Commander in Chief".
George Bush flew single seat all-weather interceptors and his superiors said he was very good at it. At the time it was one of the most dangerous flying assignments in the military because of the extreme cockpit workload. The concept has since been abandoned. Historically single seat all-weather interceptors had a career operational casualty rate exceeding 25% which is higher than that of most units in actual combat. That means that 25% of the people in that career field were killed doing it rather than retiring. These guys were expected to scramble in any possible kind of weather to intercept bogey aircraft approaching the United States and with no assurance there were be an airfield with weather good enough that there would be any place to return and land. Here in Fairbanks interceptors took off every day from Ladd AFB headed west in full after-burner to intercept Russian Bear bombers with the full realization that there might not be a place to return and land but they did it anyway. Anybody willing to do this does not lack anything in the courage and dedication to duty area. For a time there were complaints about noisy aircraft taking off over town in the middle of the night. The base commander said that from then on only actual intercept missions would take off in a westerly direction. When they continued the takeoffs over town at all hours of the day and night we realized that it was genuinely serious business that these pilots were engaged in. Bush was never stationed in Alaska but he stood alert duty at other fields with the same serious business. The so-called Cold War was real war and people died. Some of the units flying reconnaissance missions along the Russian border had casualty rates exceeding 50% and they weren't allowed to tell anybody. Some of the stories are just coming out about these real heroes.

SvB4EvA
02-29-08, 08:39 PM

Good observation Uncle Yoda.

ejguillot
02-29-08, 10:21 PM
George Bush flew single seat all-weather interceptors and his superiors said he was very good at it. At the time it was one of the most dangerous flying assignments in the military because of the extreme cockpit workload. The concept has since been abandoned. Historically single seat all-weather interceptors had a career operational casualty rate exceeding 25% which is higher than that of most units in actual combat. That means that 25% of the people in that career field were killed doing it rather than retiring. These guys were expected to scramble in any possible kind of weather to intercept bogey aircraft approaching the United States and with no assurance there were be an airfield with weather good enough that there would be any place to return and land. Here in Fairbanks interceptors took off every day from Ladd AFB headed west in full after-burner to intercept Russian Bear bombers with the full realization that there might not be a place to return and land but they did it anyway. Anybody willing to do this does not lack anything in the courage and dedication to duty area. For a time there were complaints about noisy aircraft taking off over town in the middle of the night. The base commander said that from then on only actual intercept missions would take off in a westerly direction. When they continued the takeoffs over town at all hours of the day and night we realized that it was genuinely serious business that these pilots were engaged in. Bush was never stationed in Alaska but he stood alert duty at other fields with the same serious business. The so-called Cold War was real war and people died. Some of the units flying reconnaissance missions along the Russian border had casualty rates exceeding 50% and they weren't allowed to tell anybody. Some of the stories are just coming out about these real heroes.

With emphasis on past, as opposed to current, I believe Ranger was referring to the husband of a certain senator from New York.

And unlike the moonbats, I consider President Bush's Air National Guard service as valid a way of serving your country as an active military posting.

dkozloski
02-29-08, 11:09 PM
With emphasis on past, as opposed to current, I believe Ranger was referring to the husband of a certain senator from New York.

And unlike the moonbats, I consider President Bush's Air National Guard service as valid a way of serving your country as an active military posting.
As Allen Keys said, there are thousands of Americans that lost their lives when they fought and died for their country. When Bill Clinton was faced with a little embarrassment he turned tail and ran.

Rolex
02-29-08, 11:14 PM

You have a point. In fact he's got one up on me. :rolleyes:

dkozloski
02-29-08, 11:43 PM
It looks like the ex-military guys in every neighborhood is going the way of the dinosaur. Tennessee is supposed to have the highest percentage of residents who have served in the military. Our local newspaper includes a small American flag in every obit for an ex-serviceman and they're becoming fewer and fewer.

EcSTSatic
03-01-08, 12:01 AM
Kansas should soon have a license plate for mothers of fallen soldiers. I probably can't mention the other tag, but I'm equally proud of both!

Two new license plates get preliminary OK

God and the mothers of fallen soldiers would be honored with two new Kansas license plates given initial approval Friday by the Kansas House.
One plate would include the words "In God We Trust." Another would be a "Gold Star" plate for mothers of soldiers killed overseas.
The bill authorizing both plates goes to a final House vote before heading to the Senate. Kansas offers more than 20 specialized plates.
Rep. Jason Watkins, R-Wichita, recalled a mother of a fallen soldier telling him the special plate would mean a lot to mothers.
"She said, 'We gave our sons for your freedom; will you give us a license plate?' " Watkins said. "Pretty hard to say no to that."

Ranger
03-01-08, 05:35 PM
That is exactly who I was referring to.

God and the mothers of fallen soldiers would be honored
One plate would include the words "In God We Trust."
OH boy, they'll be standing in line with their lawyers on this one. ACLU, atheists, Muslims, take your pick. But I LIKE THE IDEA. :usflag:

93DevilleUSMC
03-01-08, 09:10 PM
Some of the stories are just coming out about these real heroes.

The reason for that is because the real heroes I have met don't try to make everyone think they are heroes. They are too busy doing their jobs to brag.

Ranger
03-01-08, 09:44 PM
Very true. Real heroes don't consider themselves heroes. Other people do. Lately that term has been used way to loosely. Everyone seems to be a hero nowadays.

93DevilleUSMC
03-01-08, 10:38 PM
Very true. Real heroes don't consider themselves heroes. Other people do. Lately that term has been used way to loosely. Everyone seems to be a hero nowadays.

Real heroes do what they've got to do regardless of whether or not they will look heroic for doing so. The others are posing.

"For my money, there are two kinds of men in this world: men of action, and all others." -Lt.Col. Randall C. White, United States Army Infantry

77CDV
03-01-08, 11:55 PM
The reason for that is because the real heroes I have met don't try to make everyone think they are heroes. They are too busy doing their jobs to brag.
Points!

77CDV
03-02-08, 12:00 AM
OH boy, they'll be standing in line with their lawyers on this one. ACLU, atheists, Muslims, take your pick. But I LIKE THE IDEA. :usflag:
Um, not to put too fine a point on it, but Muslims would not have a problem with this license plate, believing as they do in God, whom they call Allah. I'll end there before the thread gets locked.

Murphyg
03-02-08, 12:12 AM

Without a doubt, it does appear to be thrown around quite loosely lately. Hero here, Hero there, Hero hero everywhere :crowded: I Do Not Like Green Eggs And Ham Hero Hero Hero Man LOL

But Seriously........Harry does deserve kudos for standing up and wanting to be treated as the others in his squad, platoon, or what not. Without a doubt he is going to be treated differently, and surely protected, sheltered, watched over, more than any other soldier. But the fact that he has vehemently fought against preferential treatment. That he wants to be treated the same as all his comrades in this war. That does deserve some kind of recognition.

Was just having a discussion about something of the sort a few nights ago.
The discussion particularly referred to the English Monarchy. (if thats the correct term).
It had to with with Honor and the Bestowing of Knighthood. Way back when, it was un-heard of to NOT lead ones army into battle. The true warriors and sequential leaders of the kingdom were always at the for-front of the battle field. While being unquestionably followed by the ranks of the people.

And in turn
Those deserved and true to honor of the country. True to the honor, preservation, and what was known to be undeniable righteousness at the cost of there own existence.
Those few deserved that survived, had the Honor Of Night Hood bestowed upon them.

Yes it does appear as though the true meaning of a hero has/is becoming lost and clouded.
But I think that started way back before some even realize. I think it started when wealthy celebrities, actors and rock stars were Bestowed The Honor Of Night Hood.

Seriously.....Hasnt Paul Mcartney (Mac....whatever) been Nighted ?? Yes Im sure that his/there music has and still does impact all of the world today.
Sean Connery too I believe ??
And please correct me if Im wrong on this one......But wasnt Mick Jagger also Knighted.....

There have been wars going on for years and years. But it seems as though the true recognized heroes of today are the celebritys' and or past surviving heroin users. Jagger is Idolized. Elton John....Without a doubt influential and personal........

But what of the real heroes ???? I Just find it a bit confusing that there have been so so many that have put, do put, and are still putting there individual lives on the line for what is truly world wide patriotism.

But all that that any have been able to come up with for many years, is to Bestow The Honor Of night Hood to freakin rock stars/celebrities !!!

Thats why I say gotta give kudos to Harry. Its been a very long time since anyone "anywhere close" to such status. Anywhere close to such celebrity, anywhere close to such prestige or world status, has said; Im just the same as everyone else. I stand beside everyone else. Dont treat me different. Treat me the same because I am the same.
Many may disagree. But I do believe that is what he is striving to be. In as much as he can being whom he is and what he knows.

Dont think that Knight Hood can bestowed upon a Prince. But then again...Who knows what poems or such he's written in his journals....And who knows....maybe he can sing ?

He might still have a chance LOL

93DevilleUSMC
03-02-08, 03:31 AM
Points!

Thank you!

Ranger
03-02-08, 05:43 PM
But Seriously........Harry does deserve kudos for standing up and wanting to be treated as the others in his squad, platoon, or what not. Without a doubt he is going to be treated differently, and surely protected, sheltered, watched over, more than any other soldier. But the fact that he has vehemently fought against preferential treatment. That he wants to be treated the same as all his comrades in this war. That does deserve some kind of recognition.
Agreed.