: Catera Meet, greet, fix and upgrade

cateraowner
02-28-08, 05:26 PM
hey guys,

just so we don't jack Fron3's thread I thought I'd start a new one

well A couple of us have shown some interest to meet up and do some work and learn more about our cats, since it's hard to find anyone that knows anything about them.

first I guess we should try and find a central location for all that might want to meet up. and obviousely we'd have to find a place where we can work on the cars.

second we should try and get a list of what we want to do, like timing belt, gto break and strut upgrades, things like that.

add anything else that you guys think I might have missed.

well for me since I live pretty far, I wouldn't mind the drive anywhere, as long as I can pass it off as a vacation to my girlfriend. heheeh

what I'd like to work on is timing belt and maybe gto breaks and strut upgrade

Hope this works out, this could be fun...

MaesMV6
02-28-08, 06:34 PM
im just looking really to learn about the cars themselves. i don't know too much about them, (my first "newer" car, have an 87 camaro which was my car until just a little while ago) so any information i gain is a plus for me. atm im getting my oil cooler replaced. maybe interested in getting some help bypassing it, since the dealer ship here won't. (they are the ONLY place that will even look at my car, other places "catera? sorry we don't work on them here") eventually i wanna replace my fog lights with H3 HID, which is what i've read a lot of people doing, and it looks great.

as far as location i could be willing to drive almost anywhere, im in the military and just about anywhere i go, i got friends in the area. i think the last thread people were talking about chicago area, maybe ohio? (currently living in oklahoma)

CateraMV6
02-28-08, 06:35 PM
Where do you live CATERAOWNER? I am in the Chicago-Detroit area, I think there are a few other guys in Detroint and one more in Canada... not sure about the folks from chicago..
I can drive in a few hours radius from Detroit one of these weekends... but if many of us are up here and someone has a garage then that may be a better deal...
We can all pitch money for BBQ... or just meet up somewhere and eat...

I am all for it, I can even try to organize something...

I can help out with the GTO brakes but I need to learn on the timing belt...

Cadi Cat
02-28-08, 07:24 PM
I'm down. I live in southeast Michigan. detroit is about an hour away.

CateraMV6
02-28-08, 08:08 PM
I think if anything the bigger problem will be finding someone who will be able to provide a work area and some tools... you know garage, etc...
and I think if we do get together it needs to be sometime late march when the weather is warmer... 60deg weather would be perfect for this kind of thing...

cateraowner
02-28-08, 08:56 PM
I'm all the way in calgary alberta. (just above montana)

it's a 3000 km (1800 mile drive to detroit)

I know I'm probably the furthest away from all of you guys, but I absolutly love driving, so I don't mind the drive at all, and I have enough holidays to work around what you guys decide.

unfortunatly I probably won't be able to do anything until may since we're predicting a lot of work the next 2 months. it's ok if I can't make it, it'd be cool to see pictures of all the cats together.

a nice bbq would be awsome

texanwitharake
02-28-08, 10:11 PM
well im from the chicago area if there is a place to do the work ive got a large amount of tools and a bit of history with tuning and performace mods what i would like some work with would be swapping valve cover gaskets the drive wouldnt be a problem i would enjoy a bbq havent had a good old roast since i moved from texas juneish would be a great time got the summer air.....tracks are open.....roads are clear from snow and wetness......

Cadi Cat
02-29-08, 03:21 AM
I think if anything the bigger problem will be finding someone who will be able to provide a work area and some tools... you know garage, etc...
and I think if we do get together it needs to be sometime late march when the weather is warmer... 60deg weather would be perfect for this kind of thing...

ahh yes warmer weather. I can't wait for that first warm day this spring. I've just ordeded all these parts and upgrades throughout the winter that I just can't wait to get them on. It's 17F out right now!! Every and all summer I'm constantly tweaking my car. It always gets me through the winter no problems. I love my cat!

CateraMV6
02-29-08, 06:38 AM
ahh yes warmer weather. I can't wait for that first warm day this spring. I've just ordeded all these parts and upgrades throughout the winter that I just can't wait to get them on. It's 17F out right now!! Every and all summer I'm constantly tweaking my car. It always gets me through the winter no problems. I love my cat!

Hey Cadi Cat, have you ever been in the flint area, because I can swear that I have seen it in the area, once in front of the redwoodlodge, and once in front of outback... but I remember that CS with the tinted windows... tight looking car... care to go for a photoshoot?

I go to school up in Flint otherwise I work in Dearbor, and I am from NW Chicago area...

BTW Chicago would be a great place to meet especially when we can go cruise around the DownTown area, by the lake and stuff... it can turn out to be one of the best events and first actually that we have ever done on here...

cateraowner
02-29-08, 10:46 AM
well for me, chicago is the closest place that's been mentioned so far. I most likely be taking a couple weeks off from work to do a long road trip, so hope this work out so I can book around it.

Cadi Cat
02-29-08, 11:30 AM
Hey Cadi Cat, have you ever been in the flint area, because I can swear that I have seen it in the area, once in front of the redwoodlodge, and once in front of outback... but I remember that CS with the tinted windows... tight looking car... care to go for a photoshoot?

I go to school up in Flint otherwise I work in Dearbor, and I am from NW Chicago area...

BTW Chicago would be a great place to meet especially when we can go cruise around the DownTown area, by the lake and stuff... it can turn out to be one of the best events and first actually that we have ever done on here...

yup, that probably was me. I used to work at redwood for a while. And I sometimes run up to outback to have a few drinks with the industry people. I have only seen one other cat exactly like mine but it didn't have tinted windows, so I chuckle and said mines better! A cruise through chicago would be great. I have never been there.

CateraMV6
02-29-08, 12:29 PM
yup, that probably was me. I used to work at redwood for a while. And I sometimes run up to outback to have a few drinks with the industry people. I have only seen one other cat exactly like mine but it didn't have tinted windows, so I chuckle and said mines better! A cruise through chicago would be great. I have never been there.

That might have been my car, there are very few of them in silver and the likely chance theat there is a third one up there is slim...

The one itme I saw you you were pulling out of Redwood, at night, and I drove behind you to the main road, and then turned right to go on the highway I think you turned left but deffinetly gave me the stare.... ohhh and mine is just as good as yours LOL.. :lildevil:

PEETYZ
02-29-08, 12:55 PM
Im in Dayton Ohio about an hour from Columbus Ohio Go Bucks! Sounds like fun I get together with the GTO guys around here im a member of forum buckeyegoats.com which is ohio gto owners and the dayton section is the biggest and its always fun going to them im actually going to one this weekend i even got my gto shocks from a memeber who now has a 2005 twin turbo with 600 hp its nuts.. It would be really nice if we had a forum withs tons of catera owners and many close by each other. I don't think any ten second 600 hp cateras would be there tho lol Like that GTO lol sounds fun tho

PEETYZ
02-29-08, 01:02 PM
I have done rear shocks and that wasnt too bad id be even faster second time around and what a dif it really makes I would like to lean about timing belt and brake job I have a really good mechanic non dealer who actuallys LIKES the Catera yea thats what i said every time we see him hes like hows that catera runnin? He has fixed a few things and actually did an engine swap my original went bad (lets not talk about that) for decent rate dealer wanted like 10,000 i was ahh no see ya later. Anytime he fixes things he takes it on a test drive and says if i wanted a v8 we could put one in but that would be a lil expensive he said GM just messed up one thing with catera NO LS1 he says Hes the only mechanic my dad trusts to work on his 69 corvette

AHazzardToAll
03-01-08, 12:37 PM
Hey, Indianapolis area here. I think this is a great idea if u don't mind a 17yo taggin along to learn a few things about the car. I don't know to much but i do my own brakes and oil. :cool: hahaha.

PEETYZ
03-01-08, 04:12 PM
brakes and oil is are good to know man that saves you a lot of money

CateraMV6
03-01-08, 06:40 PM
Well I was thinking some of you can jump on the GTO forums and find a few sets of the used 04 brakes so when we get together we can just swap them... should take about 1hr per side...

Its not difficult at all, just remove all components, install new ones, and bleed the brakes... no modifications are needed... except you need to get rid of the brake pad wear sensor.. thats all...

cateraowner
03-01-08, 09:48 PM
just wondering how much did you get your break set for? I would love to do that. unfortunatly I there are no gto's in canada so i won't be able to get to any. Cateramv6 if you come by a good cheap set maybe I can arange something with you where i send you the cash to pick er up for me. the at the meet we can put it in. ( just throwing it out there)

well to make this meet fly, we should have at 5-7 cats there

and I was thinking june? warm but not too hot

CateraMV6
03-01-08, 10:13 PM
My GTO brake set cost me 50$ shipped to my house from a member on the LS1 forums but I didnt want to use the old pads so I got some new pads and so total price tag was 100$...

I am not sure of what we can do now but we got time to shop around....

cateraowner
03-04-08, 02:54 PM
My GTO brake set cost me 50$ shipped to my house from a member on the LS1 forums but I didnt want to use the old pads so I got some new pads and so total price tag was 100$...

I am not sure of what we can do now but we got time to shop around....

nice, that seems like a great deal. did you get rotors also or did you use cat rotors?

I'll strat looking around, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find them at this price.

callingmonroe
03-10-08, 09:47 PM
Anyone in Virginia? I'm in Richmond. I never was into cars prior to getting this Catera. I love it. I have many cars mostly Jap cars and loved them. I bought an Olds intrigue and loved it until I was about to kill it. Lots of problems althought the 3.5 was nice. So I wrecked my 97 Pathfinder and my parents gave me a 99 Catera, I just think it is a great driving car and very nice. So I keep this for a few years and fix it up and learn then move on to the dream car the CTS. If anyone is in Virginia especially Richmond send me a Pm, I can't reply until I post alot.

Thanks to all..great forums.

CateraMV6
03-10-08, 11:01 PM
Just ask around the GTO forums for a used set there are a ton of them out there who did the swaps but never got rid of the brakes just in case... and ask for a price that you are willing to pay, I bet you will find someone... lately on ebay there havent been many many sets... so you will be better off with the forums.. .

PEETYZ
03-11-08, 12:16 AM
i have a buddy in ohio with 04 stock brakes he would prolly sell PM me and ill set you up with him

stewjd01
03-29-08, 03:19 AM
So yea when are we all meeting because I live kinda by chicago?

texanwitharake
05-05-08, 12:29 AM
CateraMV6 reminded me of this and it would be baller for this to happen. im going to take a look around the milwaukee/Chicago area to see if i can find a place were we could get some power hookups maby a garage to rent or a parking lot with tents or somthing because around my area there are a large amount of good photo areas, state parks, fews of the lake and even a few salvage cateras. ill keep you guys updated to see if i can get some place because i really want to happen cause strait up i need my valve covers changed.
and just to get a quick list of things we would need:
hotel, tools, power, food,water,covering/building,parts?!? am i missing anything?

MaesMV6
05-05-08, 01:58 PM
i forgot about this myself. if we can get a good date i'll go. just made plans for a 3 week vacation in hawaii ><