: plug wires 97 etc

SCOLE90
05-19-04, 03:11 PM
how hard is it to replace the spark plug wires?

BeelzeBob
05-19-04, 03:23 PM
Read a few threads down the page.... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13128and type "spark plug wires" into the search feature in the toolbar and read up.

JSMeloche
05-19-04, 03:44 PM
Piece of cake dude! I did it on my 95 STS. (see the link posted by bbob). On my car the Cylinder number were labeled on the block, on the wire, and on the coil pack.

I know everyone recommends removing ONE WIRE AT A TIME but I wanted some space to work and i removed all of them at once and compared the lenth to replace them.

If i remember correctly the longest one is #4 then #2 and #6 are about equal #8 is a bit shorter.
For the rear of the engine there all pretty short. I think its #1, #3, #7 and #5 from the longer to the shortest
I COULD BE WRONG.

Dont forget to put the dielectric silicone grease inside of the booth. I dont know if it helps much but i always put it and it always seems to help with keeping the inside in good condition.

SCOLE90
05-20-04, 01:47 PM
how long are plug wires supposed to last, does 57k miles seem normal?

BeelzeBob
05-20-04, 02:36 PM
how long are plug wires supposed to last, does 57k miles seem normal?
The production spark plug cables will usually last 100K or more if they are unmolested. Many times the cables are damaged by removing them or tugging on them causing the terminals to be pulled off the internal conductor broken or causing the insulation to be cut.

One way to check the plug wires is to mist them with water from a spray bottle while idling in a dark place with the hood open. Watch for arcs and sparks indicating a broken or cut wire.

You can also disconnect both ends of each wire, one at a time and inspect each end for the metal terminal securely crimped to the end of the wire and internal conductor up inside the boot. Check the wire from one terminal to the other with a VOM and measure the resistence. The resistence will vary slightly from wire to wire but should correlate closely with the length of each wire. If one (or more) wires measures "open" or very high resistence then it may be failed or the terminal may be loose on the wire.

Sometimes , during a plug change, the terminal can actually stick to the spark plug tip and be pulled off the spark plug wire itself and be thrown away with the old plug...leaving the spark plug wire to arc to the connection at the plug (or coil tower....) eventually failing the wire.

Usually careful inspection of the wires will determine if there is a problem with them. Mileage or age alone is seldom a reason to replace the spark plug cables.

cadillacstars
05-20-04, 11:10 PM
Bosch makes a good set of wires (comparable to delco) for half the price. they are also numbered just like the OEM wires. foolproof

Yaemish
05-21-04, 09:04 PM
Would you guys trust the Bosch wires? My 96 Eldo is at 70K and my 99 Deville is at 79k, it seems to be a little smoother than the Eldo and recently had the plugs changed. Think its to early to do it on the Eldo?