: Anyone else not in love yet?

Poopie D
02-28-08, 01:46 PM
The minute I laid eyes on the first generation CTS-V, I knew I had to have one. I loved the interior and even more so, the exterior.

This new generation has not struck me in the same way. I love the interior, I love the specs, power etc., I just cannot appreciate the exterior like I did with the first generation V.

I do not know what it is...it just does not look as "mean" or "sporty" as the first one. I am torn because I just wanted to fall in love with this car like did (and still do) the original. Maybe if I see one in real life I will change.

Anyone else feel the same?

RightTurn
02-28-08, 01:48 PM
You definitely need to see one "in real life." :yup:

BowenCT
02-28-08, 01:51 PM
Brother, I am with you 100%. The first gen. V to me was like adolescent limerence over the older school girl. Just infatuated, and had to have it.

I will reserve final judgment for the gen. 2 V after I see it in person for the first time. Photos don't do these cars, gen. 1 or 2, proper justice.

Katshot
02-28-08, 01:58 PM
I like the looks of the Gen. 2 CTS MUCH better so it follows that I would like the V2 better as well. The interior alone is light-years ahead of the V1 IMO.
I'm not saying that the exterior is now a home-run for me but I like it much better at least. I also hope they have a better exhaust tone on the V2. The V1 was so uninspiring that I'd have to take it to an exhaust shop virtually right off the dealers lot.

BLACK_CTSV
02-28-08, 02:06 PM
Even in pictures, I think I like it more than the 1st gens. I can't wait to take a look at one in person.

Cadillac Tony
02-28-08, 02:31 PM
The car looks way better in person than in pictures. Lawfive was not a fan until he saw it at NAIAS, and now he loves it.

NormV
02-28-08, 04:34 PM
Just compare the first Gen to the second Gen on the road...any questions?

Norm

Jpjr
02-28-08, 05:03 PM
I love my first Gen but the second Gen will literally 0WN our cars every which way on the street. Whenever I drive my Mustang Cobra around town, GT guys have to simply yield out of fear of getting walked hard and embarrased. That is how I would feel pulling up to a 550hp Caddy. = GOT TO GET ONE!!

dqw1
02-28-08, 09:07 PM
I love the interior of the V2, so much of an improvement. The power and exterior speaks for itself and I dream about getting this car in white diamond with black aftermarket 19" wheels with a chrome lip. The one year countdown has started. Now I need to figure out a way to keep my 04 also.

rand49er
02-28-08, 10:19 PM
Love the bold look of the '09V, but I still can't shake my even greater love of my '05's exterior. If the new V can't be lowered, say, an inch, it doesn't stand a chance of swaying me over. As far as the interior goes, there's no comparison.

Color? Absolutely LOVE the white diamond, but I gotta tell ya, I'm thinkin' dark ... either black or a charcoal-type color (Thunder Gray if it's offered).

Recaros are without-a-doubt a must!

HiTechRV
02-28-08, 11:08 PM
I loved the look of my V1.5 (2007) CTS-V and I love the looks of this one too.

OldRoadDawg
02-29-08, 10:46 AM
If the new V can't be lowered, say, an inch, it doesn't stand a chance of swaying me over. Aw-w Randy... I'm callin' :bsflag:
Now that the Mrs has given her blessing, you're already starting to find little flaws on that Gen I sitting in your garage. The hook is in deep.

(Actually, if this does indeed happen, I'll probably wait till 2010.

Yeah... uh-huh.

DRKSIDE
02-29-08, 11:04 AM
I used to love... LOVE the C4 vette! Then in 1997 a saw the new "chick" on the block and DAYUM! That ole' girl just didn't get my gears turning like she used to. Then the C6 came on the scene and, well, I got all high again!

I feel the same way about the new V2. That back end sittin way up there makes the nose look like a hound on a hunt! The prospect of a rear end that doesn't snap doesn't hurt and the interior gets rid of the somewhat cheap feel of the V. Love the way she feels inside! Add to that another 150 horses and I'm not so faithful to my current love. I hate it when I try to do something with her and she says "I can't bend that way!" Don't get me wrong, still love my girl but that new ride is fresh and IMHO... sinister!

We still talkin about cars here? (I worked up a sweat!)
http://bp0.blogger.com/_tnEVS34jWAw/R2EJQCc1ojI/AAAAAAAABtw/apzVMgE83T0/s1600/cadillac-cts-v-e1.jpg

At least it isn't like the 50's and 60's when every model year was a different car.

razl
02-29-08, 04:08 PM
I love the V2 interior, and a lot of the body style of the V2 is a great improvement. But, there's a lot of little things that got polished out that I think are better in the Gen1 - I love how the headlights recede over the top of the hood from the profile, the maw is more menacing, the high beltline that runs from the tail to just over the front wheel well but aligns almost perfectly with the seam line of the front bumper from the profile is awesome (and I don't know why they erased that from the v2). The V2 looks like a sharper, more refined art-and-science - but it lost just a bit of the in-your-face that the gen1 look has.

At the end of the day, yes - the V2 is going to have the huevos and interior that is a major step up from the gen1, but somehow it's lost some of it's randy-ness, it's "in your face"-ness that attracted me to the gen1.

When somebody here traded their CTS-V for an STS-V, a member said something like "you just gave up your big-boob'd blonde bombshell for her smarter, attractive older sister". I kinda feel the same way about the gen1 to gen2 CTS-V. The gen1 is a hottie, the gen2 has got class, brains, and firepower, but is more reserved.

I'll be in awe of the performance of the gen2, but I'll look at the gen1's with a twinkle in my eye.

rand49er
02-29-08, 04:52 PM
Aw-w Randy... I'm callin' :bsflag:
Now that the Mrs has given her blessing, you're already starting to find little flaws on that Gen I sitting in your garage. The hook is in deep.

Yeah... uh-huh.I'm sayin' I like the current exterior ... always have.

Maybe the new one will "grow on me" ... hafta see.

Every time I see a V1 now, it turns my head ... especially black! :thumbsup:

Still worried that Mrs rand49er will change her mind ... :suspense: ... it's happened before on stuff. Just gotta keep my nose clean ... and the house. Heck, if a woman ever became President ... well ...let's just say I don't wanna even go there. :thehand: Look out Russia and China you poor bastards!

HiTechRV
02-29-08, 06:41 PM
When somebody here traded their CTS-V for an STS-V, a member said something like "you just gave up your big-boob'd blonde bombshell for her smarter, attractive older sister". I kinda feel the same way about the gen1 to gen2 CTS-V. The gen1 is a hottie, the gen2 has got class, brains, and firepower, but is more reserved.

Until you go WOT, and she whips off her top and jumps up on the bar to dance.

BowenCT
02-29-08, 09:13 PM
I kinda feel the same way about the gen1 to gen2 CTS-V. The gen1 is a hottie, the gen2 has got class, brains, and firepower, but is more reserved.

Until you go WOT, and she whips off her top and jumps up on the bar to dance.

Yeah, but the gen. 1 is a little rough around the edges, plus she swallows. The kind of girl you'd think twice about bringing home to momma. I like those girls......

Katshot
03-06-08, 09:14 AM
I love my first Gen but the second Gen will literally 0WN our cars every which way on the street. Whenever I drive my Mustang Cobra around town, GT guys have to simply yield out of fear of getting walked hard and embarrased. That is how I would feel pulling up to a 550hp Caddy. = GOT TO GET ONE!!

Fair comparison as long as you're talking an '03-'04 Cobra. :D

lunarx
03-09-08, 01:19 PM

I'm kind of looking forward to pulling up to some 09's. :lildevil:

CTSV_Rob
03-09-08, 01:42 PM
Wish I could be there to see the race Lunarx. Will be interesting if anyone puts one on the track to see how they have handled the extra weight.

Katshot
03-10-08, 11:01 AM
I'm kind of looking forward to pulling up to some 09's. :lildevil:

Just noticed you show ownership of a Mallet CTS-V. I see you show power figures in your sig, have you ever had it on a dyno? Went to the Mallet website and was wondering about their specs. Yours has the 7.0 liter engine? So you should be pretty close to the performance level of the V2, right?

lunarx
03-10-08, 12:28 PM
Just noticed you show ownership of a Mallet CTS-V. I see you show power figures in your sig, have you ever had it on a dyno? Went to the Mallet website and was wondering about their specs. Yours has the 7.0 liter engine? So you should be pretty close to the performance level of the V2, right?
The numbers in my sig are from my dyno tuning.
I would not put numbers w/o a dyno to back it up.
The Mallett rating is 600FWHP so my 499WHP tends to support something in that range.

I do expect that when I replace the 2.5" Corsa w/ a 3" B&B, that I should get that extra 1 HP, that I need. :rolleyes:
Also, replacing the Fast 78 w/ a Fast 90 should bring things up a bit too.
But yes, even as it stands now, I suppose one could say an 09V is close in performance level to me. :stirpot:

Katshot
03-10-08, 12:54 PM
Hmmm...and what's YOUR car weigh?:stirpot:

Cadillac Tony
03-10-08, 01:04 PM
It's not all about power to weight- you can have all the power you want, but if you can't get it to the ground you're not going to be any faster. Check out this comparo on a Vortech Z06 with 130 more hp than stock (scroll to the bottom for the numbers):

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0706_2007_vortech_corvette_z06/

Hopefully PTM, wider tires and the anti-wheelhop measures they've taken in the 2009 V will get it to 60 a lot faster than the Pre-2008's. Throw in an extra 150hp as the icing on the cake. :D

NormV
03-10-08, 01:19 PM
Over 600hp CTS-V not doing runs at a prepped track like a drag strip runs a 12.4 @ 125

http://www.mallettcars.com/events/2004_CD_shootout/2004-CD-shootout.htm

This is a V1 with 3900 lbs. compared to V2 4300 lbs. and down 50+ hp.

We'll see how much love there is if the electronics can put down the power. :)

Norm

Cadillac Tony
03-10-08, 01:29 PM
I have that issue sitting in my office :). The Mallett V had a hard time getting traction off the line due to the tires and wheelhop, and their best run was acheived by turning on the Air Conditioning to put more drag on the engine and reduce the power. :lol:

Launching a 04-07 CTS-V requires either slipping the clutch and rolling out in first or bogging it and short shifting to second- A stock Gen-1 CTS-V with the ability to hook and go WOT could probably see 4.3 0-60 and mid 12's in the 1/4.

The electronics aren't going to be the biggest factor, but they will help. No whelhop, wider tires and 150 more hp is going to be the magic ticket for the '09 at the drags.

Katshot
03-10-08, 04:15 PM
No doubt about it, unless you can get the power to the pavement, it's useless. That's kind of why I asked the question before about when is it TOO MUCH power?
Also, I seriously doubt a bone-stock V1 could hit a 4.3sec. 0-60. Don't think I've ever seen anyone get even close to that. Not sure what kind of times a stock V1 can do with better tires (say something like drag radials) but, a 4.3 would be a very good time for that car.

Cadillac Tony
03-10-08, 04:27 PM
It's not easily measurable, but I'd be willing to bet that I spend at least half a second riding the clutch or spinning the tires every time I try and launch my car hard, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the ability to hook and go could reduce the 0-60 4/10ths from 4.7 to 4.3-.4

Katshot
03-10-08, 04:36 PM
Not sure how much drag racing experience you have but let me tell you a half second in the 1/4 is a TON of time and it's even more in a 0-60 dash.

Cadillac Tony
03-10-08, 06:02 PM
Believe me, I know. Forgive me for stating the obvious if you've driven a lot of CTS-Vs, but there's a LOT of time wasted getting the car moving forward at launch with the 1st generation. Even with hp and weight being equal, solid launch ability would make a big difference in the V1, so I've got big hopes for the V2 with solid launch capability AND tons more power.

HITMONEY
03-10-08, 10:19 PM
The numbers in my sig are from my dyno tuning.
I would not put numbers w/o a dyno to back it up.
The Mallett rating is 600FWHP so my 499WHP tends to support something in that range.

I do expect that when I replace the 2.5" Corsa w/ a 3" B&B, that I should get that extra 1 HP, that I need. :rolleyes:
Also, replacing the Fast 78 w/ a Fast 90 should bring things up a bit too.
But yes, even as it stands now, I suppose one could say an 09V is close in performance level to me. :stirpot:

That sounds like one Baaaad-Mama-Jama!

CTSV_Rob
03-11-08, 01:02 AM
Ernie deserves the bragging rights, awesome V.

Would love to see him go 1 on 1 with a V2 just to see how he does, Will be a good race.

I know Tony thinks the 09 will win But if you know Ernie and understand what he has in this car you would understand that he will have a GOOD chance if not take him.

The real race will be in the twisties though :D

Love the 09 But still really love my Gen 1 and I hope when my car grows up it is just like Ernie's (except for the clutch ;))

xshrpshtr
03-11-08, 01:27 AM
I have always loved the 427...

Cadillac Tony
03-11-08, 10:21 AM
I don't necessarily think the '09 would be a lock against Ernie's car, but I think it'll definitely come out the hole a lot harder. Once Ernie gets hooked up he might be able to run it down with all that power, but it would be a close race- one I'd definitely want to watch, by the way. :D

xshrpshtr
03-11-08, 03:19 PM
^^likes to watch...

GNSCOTT
03-11-08, 10:17 PM
Funny thing is someone on the Corvette forum posted pictures of the CTS 2 door coupe from every angle. I saw the car and not even noticing it only had 2 doors i thought it was the 09 CTS-V. All of a sudden my heartbeat got fast and in my head I was thinking of how I would get the money to pay for it and I had the " I gotta have it now" mentality. I was even wondering how much coinstar would pay me when I dumped the coffee cans in there. Then I noticed it was the coup. saw the pictures of the CTS-V below and thought it looks alot like my old 04. I want it for the performance, but the I gotta have it went out the door. GM is always one prototype behind.

Ravensblack_ESV
03-11-08, 10:37 PM
Previous gen owners remorse. It's OK. It happens on all the major auto forums.

v84life
03-12-08, 12:38 AM
I'm ready.......Got plans on this one!

CTSV_Rob
03-12-08, 02:45 AM
I have always loved the 427...

Great motor.