: N* Summer Maintenence

cadillac6
05-19-04, 12:22 PM
Ok so summer is coming and I have a feeling it is going to be a BLAZING hot summer here in NC. So I wanted to have a coolant flush done to prevent my car from over heating. How much would I be looking at? What all should I get done to the car to prevent problems this summer? any suggestions would be much appreciated for me and my baby. Thanks.

BeelzeBob
05-19-04, 02:19 PM
Ok so summer is coming and I have a feeling it is going to be a BLAZING hot summer here in NC. So I wanted to have a coolant flush done to prevent my car from over heating. How much would I be looking at? What all should I get done to the car to prevent problems this summer? any suggestions would be much appreciated for me and my baby. Thanks.
Just drain and refill with fresh 50/50 DexCool/distilled water. Unless the system has been totally neglected it is totally unnecessary to do any sort of flush or anything extreme or invasive. Just keep fresh coolant in it and it will be fine. The only cost for this is the cost of the jug of DexCool and your time. Simple and easy and cheap. If the system is full of fresh coolant and the fans are working correctly then there should be no overheating problems at all, especially in your climate. The cars cool fine in 124 degrees in Death Valley (been there, done that...) so North Carolina is easy.

If you really want to do some preventive maintenance you could replace the thermostat and the radiator cap as both are probably getting near the end of their lives especially with high miles. Check the water pump drive belt and tensioner to make sure the belt is good and that the small, spring loaded tensioner is moving freely. Lube the pivot point and exercise it. Invest in the thermostat, cap and water pump drive belt instead of any sort of flush or anything.

Search using the search feature in the toolbar for "coolant' "coolant supplement" "radiator flush" or "cooling system flush" and read up. There is a post just down the page that covered a lot of this.

Such as http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12913 and
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12884