: What Does "F.U.B.A.R." mean?

rand49er
02-27-08, 02:44 PM
Saw this used to describe the '04 & '05 CTS-V diff in my April '08 GM High-Tech Performance issue on pg 54.

Guess I'm too old to keep up with all these abbreviations, and I'm expecting that this is probably beyond a PG-13 rating, but within the constraints of this forum what does that mean? :banghead:

BTW, I think I've got the "F" part ... I think.

Playdrv4me
02-27-08, 02:45 PM
F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition? lol...

EDIT: WHOA! I was right except for the R, which means Repair.

EcSTSatic
02-27-08, 02:48 PM
You're not too old for that one. It's at least WWII vintage, probably older.

RunningOnEMT
02-27-08, 03:07 PM
****ed up beyond all repair is how we use it here...

but then again RCH and QCH are actual units of measure here

rand49er
02-27-08, 03:41 PM
****ed up beyond all repair is how we use it here...

but then again RCH and QCH are actual units of measure hereRCH I know ... actually have been known to use it on occasion.

QCH? Hm-m ... "Queen?" ... "Quick?" ... dunno that one. :confused:

BTW, I just go back to Viet Nam, but not WWII. Chaulk up my ignorance to my sheltered existence. :halo:

RunningOnEMT
02-27-08, 03:47 PM
RCH I know ... actually have been known to use it on occasion.

QCH? Hm-m ... "Queen?" ... "Quick?" ... dunno that one. :confused:

BTW, I just go back to Viet Nam, but not WWII. Chaulk up my ignorance to my sheltered existence. :halo:

Q=Quarter... its a segmented RCH...

dkozloski
02-27-08, 04:05 PM
FUBAR is a marine word closely associated with SNAFU.

MN-STS-LOVER
02-27-08, 04:20 PM
My favs are still the ones for FORD: Fix Or Repair Daily, Found On Road Dead, Fu..ed Over Road Disaster, Fu..ed Over Rebuilt Dodge....etc

gdwriter
02-27-08, 04:49 PM
I love FUBAR; use it all the time.

I also came up with a corollary to ASAP, since it always seemed as though clients would sit on projects for days or weeks, then want everything done yesterday.

So the opposite of ASAP is WIFLI: When I Feel Like It.*

* 2004 Gary Dulude. All rights reserved.

DRKSIDE
02-27-08, 04:57 PM
FUBAR is a marine word closely associated with SNAFU.

oohrah! I knew I'd find a jarhead in this thread.

Red_October_7000
02-27-08, 05:29 PM
There's three levels:
SNAFU: Situation Normal; All F**ked Up
TARFU: Things Are Really F**ked Up
FUBAR: F**ked Up Beyond All Repair

Another favorite of mine is BOHICA: Bend Over, Hear It Comes Again!

dkozloski
02-27-08, 06:11 PM
The one I found useful was FIGMO, F***it I Got My Orders.

MMRLH on a letter. Marine Mail Rush Like Hell!

Honcho is kind of ironic. A honcho is a squad leader in a Japanese rifle platoon.

Dinky-dau means goofy but the literal Viet Namese translation is off-the-wall.

RightTurn
02-27-08, 08:04 PM
I'm JAFO. :D

Murphyg
02-27-08, 08:38 PM
And the favorite that will be found in any automotive parts manufacturing plant.
Scribbled on parts in any section.......

NFG

Werther or not its noticed, and ends being used for production anyways...... is anyones guess

codewize
02-27-08, 08:40 PM
Yes we also used F'ed Up Beyond All Repair.

JimHare
02-27-08, 09:39 PM
There's three levels:
SNAFU: Situation Normal; All F**ked Up
TARFU: Things Are Really F**ked Up
FUBAR: F**ked Up Beyond All Repair

Another favorite of mine is BOHICA: Bend Over, Hear It Comes Again!

And the corollary, KMAGYOYO

Kiss my A** goodbye, you're on your own!

ewill3rd
02-27-08, 09:39 PM
I learned it Recognition, but I can see how it might be based on the context of use.
Never really thought about "repair".

I have come to hate acronyms of any kind. I used to think they were cool until GM put 30 computers in their cars and gave them all acronym names, and to top that off they like to change them around every 5 years or so... just in case we actually start knowing what we are talking about.
:D

HITMONEY
02-27-08, 10:01 PM
Every time I hear or see the acronym FUBAR, it reminds me of the movie "Tango and Cash".

Not a good memory.

Murphyg
02-27-08, 10:27 PM
THATS THE ONE !!!!!!!!!
Have been trying to remember where Id learned it.

THANX MONEY

N0DIH
02-27-08, 10:45 PM
Acronyms....

Love em!

FUBAR we used that a lot in the Army...
SNAFU too...

EcSTSatic
02-27-08, 11:08 PM
Every time I hear or see the acronym FUBAR, it reminds me of the movie "Tango and Cash".

What about "Saving Private Ryan"? They even discussed what it meant in a couple scenes. They were close even though they thought they were kidding that it was German

Mr. Wolfstone is a student of language and offers the following explanation of the battlefield slang, fubar, from the popular film, Saving Private Ryan.

http://www.wolfstonelaw.com/images/dot-clear.gifFubar is slang (mangled German) for the word "Furchtbar" which means terrible or horrible -- Think of it as the opposite of "Wunderbar." Furcht means fear, literally translated, and the "bar" is added to make it an adverb or noun, as the case may be. Notice that "Wunderbar" translates literally into wonderful. By contrast, you should treat Furchtbar as an idiom and translate it to mean terrible or horrible.

http://www.wolfstonelaw.com/images/dot-clear.gifBy the time our troops landed at Omaha Beach, D-Day (June 6, 1944), the term fubar had undergone a pejoration. The soldiers in Saving Private Ryan were probably contemplating the pejorative, anglicized acronym "fubar" which they would translate as "Fu***d Up Beyond All Recognition."

ewill3rd
02-28-08, 06:58 AM
Someone actually watched Tango and Cash?

HITMONEY
02-28-08, 12:45 PM
Someone actually watched Tango and Cash?

Yes.

There is a medical term for the semi-permant condition that that results..

Cinimatic Lobotomy

Spyder
02-28-08, 01:00 PM
Anyone read Richard Marcinko? Each and every one of the military acronyms will be described and used...and probably quite a few that he made up...but it IS good reading, either way...

N0DIH
02-28-08, 06:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUBAR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Army_acronyms_and_expressions

Murphyg
02-28-08, 09:02 PM
So screw the acronyms and lets all use smilies instead........Sad to say but thats where the younger generation is at now.
Acronyms are now perceived as regular language....and a well chosen smilie has replaced the old style of acronym.

But I guess with this technology now, it is a total different type of code breaker that is needed when intercepting messages within the wars that are going on.

Where would one even start to decipher an intercepted code that reads :

:dammit::usflag::frog::osnap::hotdog::caddy: