: N* Camshaft Removal: Special Tools Required?

chubbyranger
02-26-08, 10:02 PM
So I took my STS to another local guy today who listened to it and confirmed that there is probably a lifter problem somewhere around cylinder #5. Says he's willing to do the job but it requires a special tool to hold the timing chain sprockets while the cams are out to avoid losing timing. I have read through the FSM camshaft removal section and can't find any refernce to a special tool. So my questions are:

1) Is a special tool necssary?
2) Where can I get a camshaft and lifters?
3) Should I do both banks or just the one making noise?

TIA

chubbyranger
02-27-08, 06:23 AM
STS 03 already answered #1 in my other thread in Seville land: J 38822. So my revised questions:

1) Where can I get J 38822?
2) Where can I get a camshaft and lifters?
3) Should I do both banks or just the one making noise?

AJxtcman
02-27-08, 06:51 AM
:helpless:
Give me a day or so. :hmm:

I will get you the info on a 93 to 99 engine.

AJxtcman
02-27-08, 07:37 AM
I have a Lifter price. I will get the cam price later today.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/2-2.jpg

chubbyranger
02-27-08, 08:18 AM
Thanks AJ. Appreciate all the help I can get here. Would also be interested in opinions on my current options I am weighing:

1) Replace offending lifters and likely the cam to make the noise go away. Dump the car before the inevitability of headgaskets, the other bank of lifters/cams and/or suspension bites me in the a$$. Car uses no coolant, but I do not know previous service intervals before 87,000 miles. Currently 101,000 miles and I have changed it once.

2) Yank motor and replace with GM reman long block.

Going to figure the price differential and decide from there. If I can do the long block swap w/in $2K of the cam job I'm thinking that's the way to go.

tateos
02-28-08, 01:52 PM
Suggest you call SPX directly for J38822 - I think I have seen it for around a little more than $100. I assume that is the tool that hold the chains in place when you remove the cams.

RM

Logandiagnostic
02-28-08, 07:31 PM
I've got a service manual image.

J-38822 'cam chain tension holder'

Logan Diagnostic LLC
www.ledfix.com
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandieselusa.com

chubbyranger
02-29-08, 04:23 AM
Thanks Logan - that's the culprit. Beginning to find out its part of a bigger set J-41619 which has more stuff. As usual, do enough Googling on Cadillac and you end up back here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-74083.html