Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1960 engine interchange

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  elk9300` 
#1 ·
I just acquired an original 1960 Sedan De Ville 4-door, 6 window, series 60 I believe. It has been sitting for a while 3-5 years and when I tried to crank it over, it didn't budge more than a couple of degrees and seemed to "lock." I have oiled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil and plan to repeat this and try this weekend. If my fears are confirmed and I can't get it freed, which years and engines (390, 429, etc.) will drop in and bolt to the trans (2 speed)? Thank you in advance.

Robert

#3 ·
Either the 390 or the 429 would fit but I would get a 59 or 60 engine to toss in, keeps the value up and the 390 and 429 are nothing to write home about anyway. I agree with Jay about the wrench bit / starting up. If not, consider having it rebuilt, most of those used Cadillac engine have about 5 million miles on them, people drove them into the ground. That car has a four speed tranny.

#4 ·
Thank you! Any other tips? I wasn't aware that the trans was a 4 speed, but it would make sense in a car that big. I only noticed "D" (Drive) and "L" (Low) on the shift indicator, but maybe I didn't look close enough, or it only shows those two ranges. I'm new to old Caddy's, I'm a Chevy guy. (Again, we did have one just like it back then, but I wasn't into the mechanics of cars then). Thanks for all the help!

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.