: After Market Code Scanner

rhw1
02-26-08, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have experience with after market code scanners for use on 99 SLS. I can't affort a Tech2, but want to be able to scan PID's to be able to troubleshoot decel stalling problem. I'm looking at an Actron 9185.

Submariner409
02-26-08, 12:54 PM
The car will do it for you. You don't need to spend a cent.

Go to the top of the N* Performance page and the same in Tech Tips and read the stickies entitled "How to pull codes...." and "Got codes? Look here..."

AJ or eWill can steer you on how to display snapshots. Not sure if a '99 will do it....but the decel stall will show up as a DTC.

Start with IAC and EGR diagnosis, TB cleaning, and end up with CKP. All in here, and all covered many, many times.

JimD
02-26-08, 12:57 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/55172-how-pull-codes-got-codes-warning.html

rhw1
02-26-08, 03:35 PM
The car will do it for you. You don't need to spend a cent.

Go to the top of the N* Performance page and the same in Tech Tips and read the stickies entitled "How to pull codes...." and "Got codes? Look here..."

AJ or eWill can steer you on how to display snapshots. Not sure if a '99 will do it....but the decel stall will show up as a DTC.

Start with IAC and EGR diagnosis, TB cleaning, and end up with CKP. All in here, and all covered many, many times.

Reply:I have pulled codes(P1599 stall/near stall) from DIC, done TB and IAC cleaning, tried new IAC. Will do EGR cleaning as soon as I can. AJ has suggested I look at fuel trim, MAP, & MAF readings while looking for vacuum leaks(spray choke cleaner at intake manifold gasket, etc.) I been told that the 99 SLS DIC will not display snapshots so that's why I asked about an aftermarket code diagnostic tool.

RunningOnEMT
02-26-08, 03:40 PM
Lemme run out to my toolbox, i got one from my Snap-On guy for 139.95 that will do EVERYTHING you could need unless you do that shit for a living.

Crown Vic Owner
02-26-08, 05:10 PM
Lemme run out to my toolbox, i got one from my Snap-On guy for 139.95 that will do EVERYTHING you could need unless you do that shit for a living.

I know what one your talkin about.

Submariner409
02-26-08, 07:27 PM
:canttalk: :alchi:

dkozloski
02-27-08, 03:58 PM
:canttalk: :alchi:
I feel your pain. Ignorance is bliss.

RunningOnEMT
02-27-08, 04:03 PM
I feel your pain. Ignorance is bliss.

hey not all of us are lucky enough to have automatic code display...

dkozloski
02-27-08, 04:42 PM
hey not all of us are lucky enough to have automatic code display...
www.autotap.com (http://www.autotap.com)

ewill3rd
02-27-08, 10:59 PM
I am tired, and not feeling well so don't judge me but can someone translate "PID".

P1599 is the only code?

dkozloski
02-27-08, 11:02 PM
I am tired, and not feeling well so don't judge me but can someone translate "PID".

P1599 is the only code?
I think he wants to be able to read data points as well as pull codes.

LCLCLC
02-28-08, 03:41 AM
Throw some money at the problem.

Change both crank sensors.

rhw1
03-01-08, 12:21 AM
www.autotap.com (http://www.autotap.com)

Thanks dkozloske, I checked it out; it looks awesome. It will surely do anything I would ever need.