: Oasis, Radiohead and Blur. The three greatest British bands of the '90s.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-08, 01:33 AM
Since last summer, I've been huge into British bands from the '90s. My favorites being Oasis and Radiohead. But now I'm JUST starting to listen to Blur also.

Is Blur pretty similar to Oasis? I remember someone telling me that those two were always in a competition to be the greatest band from that era, at least of that genre. I generally tend to like the more poppy, mainstream sound of Oasis more than the more alternative, artsy sound of Radiohead, but OK Computer was a phenomenal album, almost as good as (What's The Story) Morning Glory.

I'm listening to the samples of the "Best of Blur" now on iTunes, and their stuff definitely sounds more poppy and bubbly than Oasis's more harder rockin' stuff.

I guess I like Oasis because they're a modern version of the Stones in their prime, with a touch of the psychedelic flavor of the late Beatles, with a touch of the arrogance and bravado of '70s punk. From what I've heard so far, Blur sounds like early Beatles, mixed with perhaps a bit of early Elton John.

Anyways, '90s rock fans, what do you think? Oasis, Radiohead or Blur?

Playdrv4me
02-26-08, 02:26 AM
Stop Crying your Heart Out.

Jesda
02-26-08, 03:30 AM
I've gotten good with Wonderwall on the drums in Rockband for PS3. :)

Soundgarden would be #1 for me.
Better Than Ezra and Radiohead second.

NSync

Benzilla
02-26-08, 04:30 AM
I've only heard three Oasis songs; Wonderwall, Lyla, and Don't look back in anger. But I like all three a lot. Really like Radiohead, but I have to be in the right mood. Never really listened to Blur, I'll have to look into them.

Ben

Night Wolf
02-26-08, 01:19 PM
Never really heard any of these bands.... I mean I *heard* them maybe here or there on the radio, but don't know any song off hand at all.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-08, 01:25 PM
I didn't until last July either. Then I was enlightened. :)

Jesda
02-26-08, 04:40 PM
I love Blur!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-08, 05:24 PM
Next CD I buy is probably gonna be Blur.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-26-08, 05:53 PM
Radiohead is awesome. I want to give them another few years before I add them to my 10 greatest bands list.

Rolex
02-26-08, 08:00 PM
I love Radiohead. One of my favorite videos:

5LeLAELIxKY

Night Wolf
02-26-08, 09:18 PM
I love Radiohead. One of my favorite videos:

5LeLAELIxKY

Wow.... I'm not feeling that at all :(

Plus I don't like music that either creeps me out or makes me feel depressed/about something depressing.

gothicaleigh
02-26-08, 09:31 PM
Blur + BMW M5 = Brilliant

7i2m7W1CR3w

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-08, 09:53 PM
Wow, lol, looks like Radiohead just isn't for Rick. Radiohead is mood music, and it's generally not "good mood" music...most of it sounds a lot like Karma Police.

Rick, here's a "must have" list from Oasis....they're much more upbeat and rockish than Radiohead.

-Champagne Supernova
-Wonderwall
-Morning Glory
-Cigarettes and Alchohol (sp?)
-Digsy's Dinner
-All Around The World
-The Masterplan
-She's Electric
-Supersonic
-Married With Children

If I were you, I'd go out and buy their greatest album: (What's The Story) Morning Glory. It's the quintessential Oasis album, and it's their best selling album, not to mention the album's fantastic cover art.

thebigjimsho
02-26-08, 10:13 PM

7i2m7W1CR3wSome of the best automotive advertising EVAH!

How can anyone NOT like Song 2?

Night Wolf
02-26-08, 10:18 PM

7i2m7W1CR3w

LOL!

So thats Blur?

I heard that song a while ago and liked it... never knew who it was. What other songs do they have? What about the other groups, what is popular?

thebigjimsho
02-26-08, 10:27 PM
Just for those who don't want to sit through an awesome BMW movie, here's just the Blur video for Song 2...

C0Xl0ZEKJzo

Night Wolf
02-26-08, 10:47 PM
Wow, lol, looks like Radiohead just isn't for Rick. Radiohead is mood music, and it's generally not "good mood" music...most of it sounds a lot like Karma Police.

Rick, here's a "must have" list from Oasis....they're much more upbeat and rockish than Radiohead.

-Champagne Supernova
-Wonderwall
-Morning Glory
-Digsy's Dinner
-All Around The World
-The Masterplan
-She's Electric
-Supersonic
-Married With Children

If I were you, I'd go out and buy their greatest album: (What's The Story) Morning Glory. It's the quintessential Oasis album, and it's their best selling album, not to mention the album's fantastic cover art.

Yeah, I just can't do music that makes me feel depressed.... same with alot of country music, I like country, but when the depressing songs start to play, I change it.

Pretty much why I don't really listen to Pink Floyd much anymore... songs aare just too depressing, not all, but most.

I like upbeat music that gets me going and I can get into.... unless I want to relax or something, then slower music... but still, not depressing music.

I'll give those Oasis songs a try.... I didn't know that song (I guess its called Song 2?) was Blur, I like that song, I'll have to listen to others from them.

Back home, there is NO alternative rock radio station... I used to listen to rock alternative in NY, then a bit in Florida. Since I've been in Atlanta, I've been listening to the local alternative rock station, so I'm hearing alot of music I haven't heard in a long time.

Yeah, I have XM.... I never use it though except for the occasional time ont he computer. I should get a new receiver for the car so I can listen to it in the car and start using it again.... may as well, I'm paying for it.

Night Wolf
02-26-08, 10:54 PM
So after a little more research, I guess Blur was a one hit wonder... atleast in the US? with Song 2 being their one hit?

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 12:52 AM

-Champagne Supernova
-Wonderwall
-Morning Glory
-Digsy's Dinner
-All Around The World
-The Masterplan
-She's Electric
-Supersonic
-Married With Children

Alright, so I'm listening to the album now....

Their music does have an "old" sound to it...

I noticed some of the songs seem like they were recorded horrible while others seem good.

So anyway, I listened to Hello and Roll with It, well the first minute or so of each of them.... not my type of music..... went to the next song... Wonderwall... first up, I have a thing for acoustic gutairs... a strong thing for them. So I am thinking, this sounds familer, heh, I actually knew how the song went before it came in....

So I am listening to Wonderwall right now... I like this song. Again, never knew the band.

I'll quickly scan thru the rest of the songs tonight, then I'll load the album on the PSP and probably listen to it on the way back home to get a better feel for it.

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 01:05 AM
Eh... I guess because I'm not a fan of the Beatles, that says alot....

so I just listened to all the songs.... I've only heard 2 before... Wonderwall, and Champagne Supernova. Of the 2, I only like Wonderwall, I never did like the Champagne Supernova song when I heard it on the radio.

Ah well... I guess it's it's just not my style of music :hmm:

thebigjimsho
02-27-08, 01:07 AM
Check out Gorillaz. Same lead singer, Damon Albarn.

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 01:08 AM
Check out Gorillaz. Same lead singer, Damon Albarn.

Now I heard of them.... on the radio.... for some reason they are sticking into my mind, I remember hearing a song by them I really liked, and a song I didn't really like...

Ahh.... this very discussion is why I like music so much... such a varitey.... even tho I'm not as into the audio hobby as I used to be, I still enjoy the music, and thats really what it's about :)

thebigjimsho
02-27-08, 01:14 AM
So after a little more research, I guess Blur was a one hit wonder... atleast in the US? with Song 2 being their one hit?If I recall correctly, this was the first real look at Blur in the US.

1lvv0HkwiPU

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 01:19 AM
If I recall correctly, this was the first real look at Blur in the US.

1lvv0HkwiPU

Well, I guess thats why they were a one hit wonder....

Never heard that song either... again... not my style :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-27-08, 01:23 AM
Yeah, Rick, if you don't like the Beatles, or any of the older British bands, you won't like Oasis. Oasis's intent was to be the Beatles of the '90s, and they pulled off their sound/feel quite well. It's funny that I like Oasis so much because I never really liked the Beatles. They were always too "goodie good" for me....I liked the more badass, rebellious Rolling Stones more.

thebigjimsho
02-27-08, 01:23 AM
qpDer9wdUEw

thebigjimsho
02-27-08, 01:31 AM
qpDer9wdUEwI really like this song because it was good to hear from one of my faves, Del the Funkee Homosapien.

dFieSQHmQT0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_tha_Funkee_Homosapien

And one of my favorite albums, at least in hip hop...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wish_My_Brother_George_Was_Here

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 01:41 AM
Wow.... I'm just not into this British rock thing..... at all....

Jesda
02-28-08, 03:45 PM
I hate The Beatles. I generally like Oasis, except for the band members themselves, who are a bunch of pretentious douchebags.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-28-08, 09:52 PM
Yeah, those Gallagher brothers were quite a show....I guess they NEVER got along with each other, and they were always ragging on other artists. They said they were bigger than the Beatles, etc etc.