: best Seville STS to buy ???

the little STS
02-25-08, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone!

i used to drive a 2001 STS i loved it... and i miss it dearly
i was wondering... what year is the best STS like most durable with the least amount of issues im probably going to do a good amount of work to it without modifying the bottom end...

i drive a 2004 Grand Prix GTP i turboed it currently has 432whp runs 12.4 @ 117(with a valve float issue that is now fixed) on the stock bottom end but enough about that...

what i plan to do to the STS is something like:
-Ported and polished heads
-bored out throttle body
-a tune of some sort...
-3000 stall tourque converter
-shift kit
-trans cooler
-colder thermostat
-exhaust
-panel filter/or custom CAI (that draws cold air :) )
-different head bolts and gaskets...

anything to say about this? or is that cool? l

also i have a ton of questions about stuff like...
-4L80E is rated at what amount of tourque /hp??? IE: when will the transmission start to fail?
-we make peak power at 6000 rpm right?
-anyone ever try individual throttle bodies or a different intake manifold design?
-Hp Tuners? is it compatible?
-headers????? anyone try porting the manifolds?
-anyone try different gearing?
-LSD?
-high compression? anyone know the limits of the motor? im sure that turbo guy does

ok i think ive asked enough... sorrry:D

so if you guys can give me your input that would be swell :)

thanks guys
Jordan

Submariner409
02-25-08, 07:01 PM
The late '02 and on has most of the earlier bugs worked out. Makes a nice daily driver: sporty, fairly fast, and good-looking stock. There are a few easy tricks in these threads to help a tiny bit.

As far as the rest, forget it. You'll make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.:sneaky:

(Later replies to your post will point out that everything you would like to do is either impossible or grossly mechanically/fiscally impractical.)

I'm not being snotty: I'm giving you a forewarning.

Already has a transmission cooler. Colder thermostat will screw up the PCM settings. Why run cold?????? No headers. No manifolds, No gearing. No tuners. No shift kit. No high compression. TB already plenty big. (ONE person in here has the ability to modify PCM programming, and that's still in the testing stages.)

creeker
02-25-08, 07:10 PM
The late '02 and on has most of the earlier bugs worked out. Makes a nice daily driver: sporty, fairly fast, and good-looking stock. There are a few easy tricks in these threads to help a tiny bit.

As far as the rest, forget it. You'll make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.:sneaky:

(Later replies to your post will point out that everything you would like to do is either impossible or grossly mechanically/fiscally impractical.)

I'm not being snotty: I'm giving you a forewarning.

How do you tell if your getting a late 02 ?. thanks

Submariner409
02-25-08, 07:16 PM
After 01/02, shown on the driver's door build sticker, Seville STS went to MagneRide as a prove-out for the tweaks to the Corvette and follow-on series high performance suspension systems.

Several other engine and suspension running changes were incorporated.

Google "suspension magnetic rheologic" and see what comes up. (Never thought a late Seville would be in the same ballpark as Corvette, Ferrari, and Lamborghini, did you?)

little STS....a 2004 GTP and a 2002/3 N* STS are two very different breeds of cat.........

AJxtcman
02-25-08, 07:57 PM
#1 choice is an 08 V
#2 choice is a 2003 W rated tire car
#3 choice is a 99 Z rated tire car. It is faster than the 2003.

The 99 STS 100K mile car in great shape maybe worth more than a 2003 100K STS well maybe an SLS.
The 99 STS holds its value.:stirpot:

the little STS
02-25-08, 11:07 PM
99 STS? hmmmm

thanks submariner for the warning but... i like all my cars fairly fast :) at least 13's

and AJ i read most of your thread on your tuning im very impressed but mind you i will not read 201 pages about it lol... from what i did gather is that youre a good guy lol i cant wait to hear the full results of your tune very interesting! i would love to buy a STS V its one of my dream cars... but i simply cant have that car just yet i need FWD or AWD for the winters here...

anyone try headwork on these motors?!?

thanks
jordan

chubbyranger
02-26-08, 12:30 AM
#1 choice is an 08 V
#2 choice is a 2003 W rated tire car
#3 choice is a 99 Z rated tire car. It is faster than the 2003.

The 99 STS 100K mile car in great shape maybe worth more than a 2003 100K STS well maybe an SLS.
The 99 STS holds its value.:stirpot:

So I got #3 on the list? And here I am thinking about ditching it because I think my rear exhaust lifters took a dump. Why does 99 hold its value compared to most others when its the pre-2000 feed-me-headgaskets block? Not trying to be a PITA here but suddenly very :hmm: Already started shopping and now you make me think I should keep it.

Submariner409
02-26-08, 10:40 AM
little STS.......It will be a long, long time before you get a FWD Seville into the 13's. The head work has already been done by GM.

Read and understand what others are telling you: Find out what you really have before trying to make changes that either don't exist or haven't worked.

Mountie
02-26-08, 09:51 PM
Sounds like keep the Caddy the way it is, .....find a '73 Camero.

AJxtcman
02-26-08, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone!

i used to drive a 2001 STS i loved it... and i miss it dearly
i was wondering... what year is the best STS like most durable with the least amount of issues im probably going to do a good amount of work to it without modifying the bottom end...

i drive a 2004 Grand Prix GTP i turboed it currently has 432whp runs 12.4 @ 117(with a valve float issue that is now fixed) on the stock bottom end but enough about that...

what i plan to do to the STS is something like:
-Ported and polished heads
-bored out throttle body
-a tune of some sort...
-3000 stall tourque converter
-shift kit
-trans cooler
-colder thermostat
-exhaust
-panel filter/or custom CAI (that draws cold air :) )
-different head bolts and gaskets...

anything to say about this? or is that cool? l

also i have a ton of questions about stuff like...
-4L80E is rated at what amount of tourque /hp??? IE: when will the transmission start to fail?
-we make peak power at 6000 rpm right?
-anyone ever try individual throttle bodies or a different intake manifold design?
-Hp Tuners? is it compatible?
-headers????? anyone try porting the manifolds?
-anyone try different gearing?
-LSD?
-high compression? anyone know the limits of the motor? im sure that turbo guy does

ok i think ive asked enough... sorrry:D

so if you guys can give me your input that would be swell :)

thanks guys
Jordan

My blower will be on soon.

Submariner409
02-27-08, 11:46 AM
Yes, AJ.......But tell him what you're putting the blower ON: Don't get his hopes up !!