: another performance chip question.

cateraowner
02-23-08, 10:56 PM
I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I'm sorry for brining it up again

I've done a search and did an hour of reading and found all the chip topics is about the resistor one that fool you MAF sensor.

well this one says it's not a resistor and doesn't trick your computer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-performance-chip-for-Vauxhall-Opel-Omega-B-3-0-MV6_W0QQitemZ110226056022QQihZ001QQcategoryZ32094Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

at the bottom in red says they can try and get a german one since the opel ECU isn't the same.

I notice it removes the speed governer...

what's your guys opinion on this?

I'm tempted to try this, but would like imput from smarter people.

Thanks

Po Pimp
02-24-08, 12:18 AM
The compression ratio on the Opel is 10.8:1 on the Catera it is 10.0:1.

The 10.8:1 let Opel run with a slightly more aggressive timing and this accounts for the "on paper" Bhp differances that you see between the two.

I would not use the stock Opel computer on a Catera. While these differances are small it could end up costing you severe engine damage down the line.

elvin315
02-24-08, 12:32 AM
I emailed M-Tek last April about a similar chip (maybe even the same one you found) and this was their reply.

sales@mtek-performance.co.uk

Hi Elvin,

If the ECU is different to the Omega (which after looking into it, it does
appear to be the case), then we wouldnt be able to offer a chip for your
car unfortunately.

Regards

Mike

The eBay add says:

NOTE TO USA customers: This chip does NOT fit the Cadillac Catera!
You guys have a different ECU inside your car that was specifically made for the USA. I might be able to sell you a german ECU with the matching keys though. Your gain: 30 BHP and NO speedgov.

His chip won't work in the Catera, but he'll sell us a German ECU that may or may not not work in our cars? And to get those gains we still have to buy his chip because the German ECU will only get us 10 HP and a 150 MPH limiter. I don't like the uncertainty and can't spare the cash to test it. They probably come with a no return on electronic items provision too.

Elvin

cateraowner
02-24-08, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the insight?

you're right, too much uncertainty...

but just wondering, how hard would it be to put in a german ecu? and could there be any adverse affects?

Warez
02-24-08, 02:56 AM
The compression ratio on the Opel is 10.8:1 on the Catera it is 10.0:1.

The 10.8:1 let Opel run with a slightly more aggressive timing and this accounts for the "on paper" Bhp differances that you see between the two.

I would not use the stock Opel computer on a Catera. While these differances are small it could end up costing you severe engine damage down the line.

The compression ratio on both engines is in fact identical.

The North American spec engine also had 211 hp even though it was rated at 200 hp over here. The dyno results from my car as well as another members verify the 211 hp rating.