: Time to gear up for power outages again...

Spyder
02-23-08, 06:15 PM
Local storm watch is expecting 50 mph wind and 80 mph wind gusts in my area tonight and all day tomorrow. The wife and roommates STILL think I'm crazy to stock up on water and food and batteries and candles propane and firewood and ammo and loaded magazines and such right before a big storm.

"That kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore. We won't lose power, all of our powerlines are underground and we're on city water. Water will still work when the powers out...blah blah blah..."

You'd think that, since this happened about six weeks ago, they'd have learned already. WE didn't lose power but most of the town was out for a good three days. Looting was fairly prevalent and a lot of people were without water and power for a while.

Oh well...I've got a few hours warning from the time I got off work until the wife gets home to get all my preparation done...If I disappear for a few days, its not because I'm gone, just out of power. And I can almost guarantee that its not because I was mugged, robbed or looted.

CTSV_Rob
02-23-08, 06:32 PM
Sacramento huh?

Probably means I may have the same problem in Morgan Hill. Hope not but always good to prepare.

Rolex
02-23-08, 10:02 PM
And I can almost guarantee that its not because I was mugged, robbed or looted.

You are truly my kind of guy. Dig in. :cheers:

Eld01
02-23-08, 11:16 PM
Good luck. We lost power for almost four days about three weeks ago due to some extremely high straight line winds. Out here in the sticks where I live and being all electric, you gotta be prepared. Your people might think you are crazy untill they need what you are smart enough to be ready for. My hat is off to you, sir.

EcSTSatic
02-23-08, 11:27 PM
I used the principles in this article to install a transfer switch in the house for my 7000W generator. The gen is in my detached 3-car garage and feeds back to the house.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/home_clinic/1275631.html

Rolex
02-23-08, 11:28 PM
Out here in the sticks where I live and being all electric, you gotta be prepared.

I'm curious where that is. Rogers/Bentonville are on my end.

Eld01
02-23-08, 11:55 PM
The metropolis of Garner, pop. 284. It's between Bebee and Searcy. Hueterm sent me a private mess. to welcome me to the forum and told me about you as well. I have been trying to get my thirty post in to earn my P.M. privledges and get a hold of you guys. Glad to see some more Arkansans here. Now I only got two more post to go.

eldorado99
02-24-08, 09:19 PM
Wow, it's sunny and dry up here in Canada, in fact I mowed my lawn and pressure washed my driveway in preparation for spring today.

creeker
02-25-08, 12:47 AM
Wow, it's sunny and dry up here in Canada, in fact I mowed my lawn and pressure washed my driveway in preparation for spring today.

Yeh,me too,I washed my car and went for a long walk to soak up the sunshine.

Spyder
02-25-08, 01:22 AM
Eh, total crap. We had some thirty or so mile an hour winds with a little bit higher gusts and a bunch of rain, but nothing to write home about. NOTHING like a few weeks ago when half of the town was out of power. My mom was out for ten days with no power or water and three horses and a bunch of cats and dogs...Giant generator and their own backup well saved 'em though...

Kev
02-25-08, 01:36 AM
Well, we've had some high winds down here along with a bit of precipitation. I've had to work out in it on my graveyard shift too ..... Brrrr! So far so good though, no loss of power, just another horrendous mess in my yard. I'm going to have a lot of yard work to do when I'm done with this outage. The wind is shredding the Eucalyptus trees and the crap is all over the place. I'm going to have to get up on my roofs and rake/sweep them off.

The good news is, there's no snow or freezing temperatures here. I can work all night long outside sometimes in only a teeshirt and short sleeve shirt over that.

CTSV_Rob
02-25-08, 02:47 AM
Eh, total crap. We had some thirty or so mile an hour winds with a little bit higher gusts and a bunch of rain, but nothing to write home about. NOTHING like a few weeks ago when half of the town was out of power. My mom was out for ten days with no power or water and three horses and a bunch of cats and dogs...Giant generator and their own backup well saved 'em though...
It was pretty mild down here as well. Blew a few leaves around but noting major, hell nothing minor either.