: New Escalade on regular unleaded fuel???

LFTW8S
02-23-08, 02:41 PM
What is worst case? Will it damage anything? Just curious because gas prices are getting out of control.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!

caddycruiser
02-23-08, 03:32 PM
It won't damage anything immediately, because the knock sensors and such will retard the timing back and therefore lower the power output. It's designed to run on Premium, and without, won't be the same but will technically be "fine".

It's still not recommended for proper performance, and some have reported pinging, etc. with lower octane fuels (shouldn't happen...but can). Point is, if you bought an Escalade, you need to be fully prepared for the fuel mileage using Premium...and not try to wiggle out afterwards.

If anything, I'd go to mid-grade at the lowest, but yes...regular should be fine, just not the best for performance or what it's designed for.

This thread should go out of control very soon...or you could just search for regular grade gas in this thread, and see MANY other similar topics.

hcvone
02-25-08, 10:50 AM
As said you have a high performance engine in your Escalade, just about as much power as in Corvette's, yes you can run regular unleaded, with the electronics and knock sensors it will still run ok, but there will be less power and less fuel mileage running lower octane, they call for 91 octane minimum.

SWRidin
02-25-08, 11:37 AM
At 91 octane i was getting 14.1 mpg. With 87 octane I'm getting 14.8 mpg. Less power.. Yes. Less mileage.. No.
I don't like to over accelerate at green lights. I haven't noticed any major power loss. If I drop the hammer, it still goes hard and smokes everything at the line.

hcvone
02-25-08, 12:21 PM
It would take several tank fills to make a difference, one tank fill will not make a difference, I can really tell towing when I am forced to run the regular, and I have aftermarket tuning.

roccos_van
02-25-08, 12:55 PM
The L92 motor runs really badly on 87. It's much, much smoother and more responsive with 91 or higher.

Palomar9
02-25-08, 03:30 PM
My 07 seems pretty happy on 89, but then most of my driving is city streets. Plenty of power when I demand it. Runs smooth, idles smooth. Full throttle scares the wife to death so I'm used to poking along most of the time. She needs her sleep...

robo
02-25-08, 03:49 PM
Cadillac RECOMENDS you use 91 or better fuel. Cadillac also says you can run on 87, but you may encounter some pinging, etc,etc.
The way I see it, if I have the $ for a new Escalade, the cost of gas is not a big concern to me.
Do yourself, and your vehicle a favor and run 91 :thumbsup:

caddycruiser
02-25-08, 05:43 PM
Cadillac RECOMENDS you use 91 or better fuel. Cadillac also says you can run on 87, but you may encounter some pinging, etc,etc.
The way I see it, if I have the $ for a new Escalade, the cost of gas is not a big concern to me.
Do yourself, and your vehicle a favor and run 91 :thumbsup:

Precisely;)

If you can afford and do buy a new $50k+ luxury SUV, you should be fully aware of an accepting of all that it entails...premium fuel and all.

But the response to other grades, etc. has been well covered here in a few, succinct posts. Hopefully that clears it all up once again.

LFTW8S
02-25-08, 06:17 PM
Precisely;)

If you can afford and do buy a new $50k+ luxury SUV, you should be fully aware of an accepting of all that it entails...premium fuel and all.

But the response to other grades, etc. has been well covered here in a few, succinct posts. Hopefully that clears it all up once again.

Saying "if someone can afford an Escalade then they should not be concerned with the price of gas" is crap. If that is the case, then why dont we all pay MSRP (or hell...give them a few grand above sticker because we have it like that) for the vehicle in the first place. Unless you are swimming in $$$...you shop for the best deal on a new cars and such. My thing...I hate spending a ton of money on "energy cost" so...if I dont demand "performance" from my Escalade...is there any benefit to using lower grade fuels. I have an E55 AMG, so expecting my Escalade to "perform" is not possible after getting out of the seat of a supercharged 500hp rocket.

roccos_van
02-25-08, 06:48 PM
I wonder how much more it actually costs for the average driver; say 12,000 miles per year??? To go from 87 to 91?? Maybe a few hundred dollars? Someone do the math for me... :)

robo
02-25-08, 07:45 PM
I wonder how much more it actually costs for the average driver; say 12,000 miles per year??? To go from 87 to 91?? Maybe a few hundred dollars? Someone do the math for me... :)

Here you go:
let's say 91 cost an extra .30 a gal times 25 gal =$7.50 a fill up
$7.50 x 52 (once per week)=$390.00 per year.
$400 a year! please....we all have spent that much for dinner now and then.

robo
02-25-08, 07:47 PM
Here you go:
let's say 91 cost an extra .30 a gal times 25 gal =$7.50 a fill up
$7.50 x 52 (once per week)=$390.00 per year.
$400 a year! please....we all have spent that much for dinner now and then.

Especially when we end up in dutch w/ our wives :canttalk:

airhammer
02-25-08, 09:34 PM
I came up with a cheaper dinner. Maybe I didn't mess up as bad. 12k miles / 15 mpg = 800 gal x .3/gal extra for 91 = $240 /year.

caddycruiser
02-25-08, 09:40 PM
^^All very true, yes. And again...if you're driving a new Escalade...come on, really;)

It seems like a noticeable difference at first, but unless you're really, truly strapped...it's miniscule in the long run, and more than worth it to keep it running on what is optimal.

scroitoru
04-16-08, 10:33 AM
what can happen if one alternates the octane every other three fill ups?
I mean if i fill up three full tanks on 87, and then fill up the next three times on 93.
would the sensors go wild?

TSS
04-16-08, 11:00 AM
what can happen if one alternates the octane every other three fill ups?
I mean if i fill up three full tanks on 87, and then fill up the next three times on 93.
would the sensors go wild? :hmm:

thebigjimsho
04-16-08, 11:04 AM
Well, my business can certainly afford an Escalade. However, driving for a living as much as I do, I certainly find it much more fiscally viable if I get a Suburban or Yukon instead...unless they need premium too...

sj1400
04-17-08, 05:11 AM
In theory wouldn't the 87 octane get lower gas mileage in comparision to 93 ? The 87 would have a faster burn rate.. Is that accurate ?

bomdy
04-17-08, 08:22 AM
Saying "if someone can afford an Escalade then they should not be concerned with the price of gas" is crap. If that is the case, then why dont we all pay MSRP (or hell...give them a few grand above sticker because we have it like that) for the vehicle in the first place. Unless you are swimming in $$$...you shop for the best deal on a new cars and such. My thing...I hate spending a ton of money on "energy cost" so...if I dont demand "performance" from my Escalade...is there any benefit to using lower grade fuels. I have an E55 AMG, so expecting my Escalade to "perform" is not possible after getting out of the seat of a supercharged 500hp rocket.
:yeah:
It seems trendy for these post to boost about the relevance of the truck price and the relation of gas. Every one that says the price of gas is irrelevant when driving a 50k truck it's full of shit. I for one, didn't get to this point in my life by throwing away money. Yes I drive a 58k truck, but that doesn't mean that I "MUST" be able to swing the bat at a $3.68 premium ball. Now the truth, I steer clear of the Reg. grade for as long as I can, but with the increase in prices I will probably will run my Predator to the cheapo gas program. But if the difference between Reg and Mid. grade it's only 10 bucks I will continue to do Mid. As of 2 months ago I say to hell with the premium goat piss!

Oh BTW, I'm not retired or living of a trust fund like some guys here seem to have it "Like That". It's tuff being 28 and looking good in one of these monsters without old' heads judging me at every corner. All I've done it's work hard to afford my toys, but yet all the sudden I'm dealing or something worse. Getting really tired of people all the sudden asking me What you do for a living? Or It's that your truck? what are the payment on that car like? (But I'm a Steam Engineer Boiler Operator and I make a measly 89k b4 Overtime). I know that I probably should be pushing a Hunday! that'll make a lot of people happy
OH well...guess I'll be well like when I'm 50.

hcvone
04-17-08, 09:41 AM
Your Preditor will not like low octane gas, you would be better off putting the stock program back in. :)

GM-4-LIFE
04-17-08, 01:06 PM
The L92 motor runs really badly on 87. It's much, much smoother and more responsive with 91 or higher.

I agree 100%. My 07 Escalade runs terrible on 87 octane. It pings like crazy and is not smooth and responsive like with 91. I don't care. I use 91 no matter what. My wife complains about running 91 octane on a leased vehicle, but when I drive, I want the power!

I did notice that running 91 octane actually LOWERS MPG. With 87 octane, we were getting 14.5 MPG and with 91 octane, we are getting 12.5-12.8.

With 91 octane, you get more of an explosive charge and the fuel burns faster which lowers your MPG. Running the lower 87 octane burns less fuel, but you also get a really crappy running Escalade!

Just my observation.

SG

hcvone
04-17-08, 03:44 PM
I can run lower octane, have had to a few times, it felt like I was towing something, it just was not as crisp. Would you put low octane gas in your Ferrari or Lambo? The Escalade has almost the same power, yes it runs on lower octane, just not as well.

TSS
04-17-08, 04:23 PM
Would you put low octane gas in your Ferrari or Lambo? The Escalade has almost the same power, yes it runs on lower octane, just not as well.

Outstanding point.

nicolaasdb
04-19-08, 02:07 AM
I am filling it up with 50% 91 AND 50% WATER.....sure there will be some rust...but in the end it is a lease so who cares. I lose about 30% power, but only in the low end....have to put my foot deeper in the pedal..almost to the metal.

I am driving a 68K + escalade and it pisses me off that I have to pay 4 bucks per gallon.

hcvone
04-19-08, 06:46 AM
Everyone should get used to $4.00 a gallon and maybe more, don't think we will ever see much lower than maybe $3.00 a gallon again, while I do not like paying that much, it's a bargain compared to what I paid when I lived in Switzerland for 3 years. :(

Palomar9
04-19-08, 03:57 PM
Everyone should get used to $4.00 a gallon and maybe more, don't think we will ever see much lower than maybe $3.00 a gallon again, while I do not like paying that much, it's a bargain compared to what I paid when I lived in Switzerland for 3 years. :(

Many environmental activists see high gas prices as a legitimate way to reduce fossil fuel usage and so-called greenhouse gas pollution. They are doing all they can to push the price up. I personally know people who will not be satisfied until we're all riding bicycles and living in tents.

Superjim
04-19-08, 06:19 PM
I personally know people who will not be satisfied until we're all riding bicycles and living in tents.

I wouldn't admit to knowing people like that. :) :)

Texas Jim

thebigjimsho
04-20-08, 10:45 PM
Many environmental activists see high gas prices as a legitimate way to reduce fossil fuel usage and so-called greenhouse gas pollution. They are doing all they can to push the price up. I personally know people who will not be satisfied until we're all riding bicycles and living in tents.Interesting. Since oil, like gold, is a commodity, are these environmental activists loading up on XOM, HES, CVX and SUN??

hcvone
04-21-08, 08:57 AM
Many environmental activists see high gas prices as a legitimate way to reduce fossil fuel usage and so-called greenhouse gas pollution. They are doing all they can to push the price up. I personally know people who will not be satisfied until we're all riding bicycles and living in tents.

Those people usually stay away from me. ;)

TSS
04-21-08, 10:12 AM
It is funny, when I pull up next to, say a Prius, and suddenly their vehicle is cast in my shadow and encompassed by the 6.2 grumbling. While I respect the driver for their own choice of a car, I can't help but think the sentiments are not reciprocal.

hcvone
04-21-08, 10:26 AM
It is funny, when I pull up next to, say a Prius, and suddenly their vehicle is cast in my shadow and encompassed by the 6.2 grumbling. While I respect the driver for their own choice of a car, I can't help but think the sentiments are not reciprocal.

You think :hmm::bomb::histeric:

scroitoru
04-21-08, 10:34 AM
one day i had a guy driving a kia (the small one) looking at me in disgust. he actually took the time to take his hands off the wheel and then spread them apart kind of like "saying" "OMG, that truck is HUGE".

Dif
04-21-08, 11:09 AM

I agree with the 6.2 grumbling... I love it. People turn and look when that thing starts up. :cool:
I used to have 67-69 Camaros with high horse motors etc etc.
Had a nice truck for daily driver and the Camaro for weekends and hot summer nights.
Got to where I put less than 600 miles on every summer for lack of time to drive 'em.
That's what I love now about my EXT.
No it's not a sports car but it is "Performance", style, comfort and fun all in one daily driver. 0-60 is very impressive when you think of it in a nice big vehicle.
With today's traffic you take your life in your hands in a small car.

Staying on topic. That's why I run the highest Octane I can get.
I like to save money as much as the next guy but I bought the EXT to enjoy it and I don't enjoy the way it runs on Regular.
I was Psyched when Cadillac came out with the 6.2 engine and 403 Horse Power. :cloud9:
I personally notice a difference between using Regular and High test.
I just enjoy it more and it's worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars at the pump to get that enjoyment.

It doesn't matter, to each his own.
If you're happy with the way it runs on Regular and saving money that's great.
On the other hand my friend has an Escalade and was complaining about the gas mileage.
He runs Regular saying he can't be paying for High test with all the miles he puts on.
At the same time he eats out 7 days a week 3 times a day.
Again, to each his own when it comes to saving money.
Well, I finally talked him into putting in the Predator Performance tune.
No he runs High test and Loves it. Go figure. :hmm:

hcvone
04-21-08, 12:25 PM
I agree with the 6.2 grumbling... I love it. People turn and look when that thing starts up. :cool:
I used to have 67-69 Camaros with high horse motors etc etc.
Had a nice truck for daily driver and the Camaro for weekends and hot summer nights.
Got to where I put less than 600 miles on every summer for lack of time to drive 'em.
That's what I love now about my EXT.
No it's not a sports car but it is "Performance", style, comfort and fun all in one daily driver. 0-60 is very impressive when you think of it in a nice big vehicle.
With today's traffic you take your life in your hands in a small car.

Staying on topic. That's why I run the highest Octane I can get.
I like to save money as much as the next guy but I bought the EXT to enjoy it and I don't enjoy the way it runs on Regular.
I was Psyched when Cadillac came out with the 6.2 engine and 403 Horse Power. :cloud9:
I personally notice a difference between using Regular and High test.
I just enjoy it more and it's worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars at the pump to get that enjoyment.

It doesn't matter, to each his own.
If you're happy with the way it runs on Regular and saving money that's great.
On the other hand my friend has an Escalade and was complaining about the gas mileage.
He runs Regular saying he can't be paying for High test with all the miles he puts on.
At the same time he eats out 7 days a week 3 times a day.
Again, to each his own when it comes to saving money.
Well, I finally talked him into putting in the Predator Performance tune.
No he runs High test and Loves it. Go figure. :hmm:

Great points. :)