Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1969 Fleetwood 75 Rear AC

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tywone 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood 75. The rear A/C has been giving me a few problems. The originial owner had a switch installed(labled-AC--Heat). With the interior (under arm rest) switch in the on position with the thermostat set as low as possible, a little arm does engage and believe it or not the AC does seem to work. Was this unit also capable of heat? The arm rest thermostat does have a 8-85 degree setting and the aftermarket switch installed does have a scribbled heat option next to it. Unfortunately its not putting out any heat nor does the front. Any ideas ?

Also(and more importantly). The down tubes from the outside returns(behind the rear windscreen) attach to the center rear unit(inside the car). They look like they've seen better days. There's a bit of water dripping in. I'd like to replace them but have no idea how to size it or what to use. It looks almost like Unico A/C - Heat residential piping(I used to install it). Although in the center of the down pipes there a "T" for the drains. Any ideas?

I'm glad to finally be apart of the Cadillac world. I also have a 1969 4dr. Deville and 1970 Convt. Deville. I'll post some pics up shortly.

~edward

#2 ·
No heat is a pretty simple diagnosis, does the blend door open, and if so, does the car have a (functional) heater core installed? Many cars that spent years in places where heat was simply not necesarry had it disabled somewhere along the lines when the heater core failed, as they tend to do. Since they are difficult to replace they are often bypassed.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. It sounds allot like the problem I had with my GM G-Body Cutlass. The blender door was not opening. And in this case(or at least from what I can tell) the door isn't "popping" open. Ideas? I haven't had a chance to poke around and see if I could even find the heater core let alone diagnose it ? The rear AC/Heat is a mystery to me. Who knows whats been done to it. Its funny you should bring up the usability of the heater and how some people just "do away with it". I bought this car from a couple located in California. This particular Fleetwood 75 has spent its entire life in CA. Now garaged in Washington D.C.

Any advice would be great. Fixing the old girl would be great with a bit of heat.

~ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.