: Dealer just put in a new shifter...

DRKSIDE
02-22-08, 10:44 AM
He said the bushings I bought from Lindsay wouldn't work on "this new shifter". Did Caddy change the design on these things? My old shifter was barely hanging on, had about 2 inches of movement from side to side when in gear! I thought I would try a new stock shifter before buying an aftermarket one just to see (since the warranty was paying for it) and it did make one hell of a diff. Like I said, my old one felt like I was holding the straw in a Big Gulp so I don't really have a point of reference on feel. This one looks about a 1/2 inch shorter but the throw isn't any shorter. It is smooth to shift and is tight in position but comparing it to my last shifter isn't a good canon. I finally got a good 2-3 and 4-5 shift so I am digging that. :thumbsup:

But since he said the "bushings wouldn't work with the new design" I was curious if I should raise a BS flag or if there really was a new design. Anyone know?

Cadillac Tony
02-22-08, 10:49 AM
They did redesign the bushings on the shifter assembly about a year ago, but the solid bushings will still fit in there. I know because I have them in mine. :)

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-22-08, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately a case of them not wanting to do it!!! the bushings are the circled piece in the attatched pic. as far as GM is concerned these are not a servicable item, if a dealer (other than us) deemed these bad they would order a shifter assembly. when you buy a short shifter like our UUC you only get the "shift rod" portion not the "mount" on the bottom.

DRKSIDE
02-22-08, 11:07 AM
Noted

Thanks for the input guys... and quick at that! Do you ever get time to sell parts or do you spend the whole day on the forum? (j/k) ;)

I knew I would have to pay to get the bushings installed but he didn't seem to want my money bad enough to charge me to put them in. My dealer has been pretty good about warranty work but they tick me off now and then. They looked crossed-eyed at me when I complained about a slight vibration that seemed to start at 85mph and didn't disappear even up to 130mph. They act like I am driving a Cobalt or something!

I plan on getting the UUC but I wanted to try the bushings in a stock shifter and see if it would pacify me till I do. I will probably just hold on to the bushings till then. Like I said, the new shifter feels much better than the butter churn I had before but I know from past cars that the shorter throw is really what I want.

Since I am in Richmond a few times per year, what is your service department's view on the chipping radio buttons? Mine said that "Cadillac isn't replacing those anymore".

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-22-08, 11:32 AM
Noted

Thanks for the input guys... and quick at that! Do you ever get time to sell parts or do you spend the whole day on the forum? (j/k) ;)

I knew I would have to pay to get the bushings installed but he didn't seem to want my money bad enough to charge me to put them in. My dealer has been pretty good about warranty work but they tick me off now and then. They looked crossed-eyed at me when I complained about a slight vibration that seemed to start at 85mph and didn't disappear even up to 130mph. They act like I am driving a Cobalt or something!

I plan on getting the UUC but I wanted to try the bushings in a stock shifter and see if it would pacify me till I do. I will probably just hold on to the bushings till then. Like I said, the new shifter feels much better than the butter churn I had before but I know from past cars that the shorter throw is really what I want.

Since I am in Richmond a few times per year, what is your service department's view on the chipping radio buttons? Mine said that "Cadillac isn't replacing those anymore".

WE replace the buttons all the time, both under warranty and not. they are about $12.00 ea if you are out of warranty

rand49er
02-22-08, 11:36 AM
Are you reasonably mechanically handy? If so, it's a piece of cake to install yourself. If not, do you have another dealer available to do the install?

MWD
02-22-08, 11:55 AM
If the bushings fail the shifter will feel horrid. Ironically that the radio buttons appear in this thread, as they are both items that would aren't listed as individually replaceable or orderable, but commonly fail.

The new bushings from Lindsay will prevent future failure, but they can be near impossible to install without chamfering the front edge, so that you can push them in. With the right clamping or a special bushing installer, it would be easier to do with the shifter in the car. It should be easier with the assembly out of the car, but it is still not going to be easy so a tech giving this a quick try is probably going to refuse to spent time on it....

Michael

DRKSIDE
02-22-08, 05:17 PM
WE replace the buttons all the time, both under warranty and not. they are about $12.00 ea if you are out of warranty

Yeah, I priced them. Thing is, my dealer wanted to throw in the labor on all the buttons. By the time you added it all up it was about $270. But if we can do it under my warranty then it is $0 out of pocket for me and you still get paid for the parts/labor.

Next time I am in town I will swing by. Might just pick up the shifter then and save shipping.