: head gasket blown replacing motor

calarco3
02-21-08, 10:53 PM
Well i just dropped 2200 dollars into my 97 eldo for a tune up and o2 sensors as well as a couple of other minor repairs, including an alternator. Two weeks later i bring it back to the dealership where I had the work done, for a check engine light. So they tell me the head gaskets are blown as well as the torque converter in the transmission is having a code in there as well. So the big question is since the last thing i want to do is lose the car, what does anyboy suggest as far as going with a motor an tranny from a yard that i can get for about 2200 dollar and installed for about 1500. And Is there anybody out there that would be interested in those two parts about to be swapped. And is it possible to put the police interceptor motor from the impala police cars?

fubar569
02-21-08, 11:07 PM
Well i just dropped 2200 dollars into my 97 eldo for a tune up and o2 sensors as well as a couple of other minor repairs, including an alternator. Two weeks later i bring it back to the dealership where I had the work done, for a check engine light. So they tell me the head gaskets are blown as well as the torque converter in the transmission is having a code in there as well. So the big question is since the last thing i want to do is lose the car, what does anyboy suggest as far as going with a motor an tranny from a yard that i can get for about 2200 dollar and installed for about 1500. And Is there anybody out there that would be interested in those two parts about to be swapped. And is it possible to put the police interceptor motor from the impala police cars?

first off, you got butt-reamed. did they include lube?

again, you are asking for another reaming. first one must not have been bad enough on you?

ok...the first bold set of text aside, i'd run the codes yourself if they didnt clear them. ask for a list of all codes the computer spit out and the corresponding meanings. If they refuse and did not reset or did not pull them, follow the instructions in the sticky "got codes, look here" to find out exactly what your car is telling you is wrong.

Also, did they perform a cylinder leakdown test or test for exhaust gas in the coolant before diagnosing headgaskets as the cause? has your car ever used coolant excessively? how'd your last oil change look?

you can get remanufactured northstar motors for as little as 3195 with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. It is very labor intensive but is quite doable even for a home mechanic with only moderate knowledge. we can guide you!

Another method would be a homebrew "normsert" job. Pull motor, pull heads, install the NS300 inserts in the block, and reassemble. Parts to do this yourself shouldnt run more than around a grand or so.

If the torque converter also happens to be bad, well it's a good time to have it go bad since you likely will be pulling motor anyways. I would assume the torque convertor should not be more than 500 bucks and that counts the fluid and screens to convert over to Dexron VI trans fluid while you're in there.

whatever method you choose, we are here to help

Dave