: AGAP Northstar reman engine NIGHTMARE

greggm333
02-21-08, 07:37 PM
I posted this in another thread, but thought it deserves it's own thread:

Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up on AGAP engines in texas. I bought a Northstar from them October of 2007, about 4 months ago. Here's what I've dealt with.

1) The first engine they shipped was damaged in shipping since they do not ship their engines in a crate. Had to call multiple times to get them to come pick the engine up. 2 -3 weeks later I finally had another engine that was not damaged, at least not externally....

2) After the engine was put in, the first thing that I noticed was blue smoke, and allot of it from the exhaust. In the first 500 miles I added 4 quarts of oil. There were no oil leaks from the engine.

3) I called and described the problem(not to hard to figure out it's rings, cylinder bore or valve guides), I was told to put diesel engine oil in it and see if that 'fixes' the problem. At this point, I knew I was in the process of getting screwed. I made sure that they knew that I wasn't an idiot and that using a heavier weight oil only covers up the problem. I guess they were hoping that if I didn't see smoke and they could get the oil consumption within an 'acceptable' range, they would be done with me. They also tried to tell me that this is normal until the rings seat and to put 1000 miles on it and see if the problem still exists.

I now have 2500 miles on the engine, using 10w30 and it uses a quart every 500-600 miles and still smokes.

I do want to add at this point that the engine shop that I had put the engine in, who are a good group of guys, said that it's obvious that the engine has internal problems. I bought the engine from AGAP directly and paid them to put the engine in for me.

4) After waiting until I had 1k miles on it they wanted me to put another 1,000 on it. Now they want me to have a leak down test done on it so before they will consider sending me a new engine. Now I can't get them to return a phone call or e-mail and they will not answer the phone. The guy who I've been dealing with is Bernie. I've probably talked to him 50-60 times by now. He has a new excuse each time on why he hasn't called me back when he said that he would.

Right now, I'm being told that a guy named David needs to call the engine shop that will be doing the test before I can take it up there and have it done. This is what I was told over a week ago. He has never called them.

Here's a copy of the last e-mail I received regarding this situation:

"Gregg
We have been extremely busy, and I cannot be waiting around for David to do his part when I need to be doing other things. and neither can I push him around.
This situation really sets me back because it is very time consuming and I have to spend more time selling than in other things, I am sure if you are in sales , you can understand that.
You have made your dissatisfaction with the engine abundantly clear, believe me you have, but as I told you before, the plant needs to document to their satisfaction that the engine has a problem and needs to be replaced, and so far they have nothing other than your word and that is not enough.
The position of the plant towards someone who wants to get an engine replaced without proper documentation, is as stated in the warranty; the engine may be removed and shipped to our plant at the customer's expense, and upon inspection the plant will repair or replace the engine as necessary. The buyer may submit in writing a claim to AGAP for its review and sole determination.
If we do it by the book, this is the way it has to be done and anything beyond that, is just us trying to be nice to you. And this is the reason why, I cannot push anybody around to bow to what you want done. If I do, they'll say, "let him ship it in" and that's it.
Be prudent.
BM"

I'm posting this so that people know what kind of business AGAP runs and to stay away from them.

Oh, one more thing, it took them over a month to pick up my core after repeated promises that they were going to "take care of it" and I didn't get my core deposit back until this month. I had to call them to get it done.

If you get a good engine from them and don't have to make a claim on the warranty, you might be ok. I wish I would have never bought from them. I did because their price was lower than others. Remember, you get what you pay for. In hindsight, I would have gladly paid another 1k to not have to deal with this.

mechanix
02-21-08, 09:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, Gregg, how much does AGAP get for a "reman" Northstar engine? And how much for shipping, core charge, etc?
Mechanix

dkozloski
02-21-08, 10:06 PM
They're ignorant for one thing. They talk about shipping to all the states on one page and all 48 states on another. See for yourself. http://www.agaptexasengines.com/

Back when I was in the aircraft engine overhaul business it didn't take long to find out that the shoddiest operations were in Texas and Oklahoma.

greggm333
02-22-08, 01:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, Gregg, how much does AGAP get for a "reman" Northstar engine? And how much for shipping, core charge, etc?
Mechanix

At the time I paid 3200 for the engine and 300 for the core.

dwight.j.carter
02-22-08, 01:45 PM
GM offers rebuilt Northstar engines now for around the same price.

greggm333
02-22-08, 03:12 PM
I'm going to keep this thread updated with the progress of this situation and whatever else I can remember from the past four months of crap I've been dealing with from AGAP.

When I had the engine put in, the guys at the shop said that they noticed, when they were putting the sparkplugs in, that the top of the cylinders were black. This was before the engine was started for the first time. When I mentioned this to Bernie at AGAP, he said that the cylinders have a black coating on the top from the factory. :bs:

I'm wondering if they even put the inserts in the block for the head bolts.

dkozloski
02-22-08, 04:02 PM
I'm going to keep this thread updated with the progress of this situation and whatever else I can remember from the past four months of crap I've been dealing with from AGAP.

When I had the engine put in, the guys at the shop said that they noticed, when they were putting the sparkplugs in, that the top of the cylinders were black.

Do you mean cylinders or do you mean pistons?

El Dobro
02-23-08, 04:09 PM
Sounds more like AGYP.

greggm333
02-25-08, 04:24 PM
Do you mean cylinders or do you mean pistons?

My bad, I meant the top of the pistons.

btw, still haven't heard anything from them. They are not even answering my phone calls!

TexasCadillac
02-29-08, 03:04 AM
Caddilac Northstar Engine.....L@@K they can't even spell Cadillac on their website.