: Mini Cooper

1toycad
05-18-04, 12:37 PM
My wife has been after me for sometime to get her a Mini. She already drives a Yukno XL, but she wants something sportier to drive around town. She would keep her Yukon, but use the Mini as a daily driver. I am not a big fan of tiny cars, so I have always opposed the idea. But with gas prices hitting the $2.50 mark, we decided that this may be a good time to look into the Mini.

This past weekend I rented a Mni, so my wife and I could drive it around and see if we could live with a tiny itty-bitty car. For the past 25 years I've owned and driven big, heavy sedans (the Cimarron being an exception).

After just a few miles in the Mini we were both in love with it.

I gotta tell, the Mini is a blast to drive! :D

Driving it, feels like driving a go-kart on steroids. It runs strong, even mated to the automatic CVT transmission (btw the CVT can be shifted as a clutchless manual).

I've never smiled so much driving a car.

I've driven big Mercedes and big Caddies, and I still like driving cars. I'd certainly never trade my Seville for a Mini...but for sheer, kick-in-the-pants fun, it is hard to beat a Mini :worship:

We are going to wait until later in the summer to seriously start looking for one. The car is now back at the rental lot and I already miss the car's toothy, goofy front grin (reminded me of a puppy's smiling face)

If you get a chance to drive one, try it. For those of us who drive big Caddies, it will certainly be a diffeent experience. :lildevil:

RBraczyk
05-18-04, 01:34 PM
I wanna try the new GTO, but that new mini does have balls. Was it the S model?

1toycad
05-18-04, 01:56 PM
Nope...it was the plain old base model.

The "S" model would almost be too scary to drive. Tehre is also a dealer approved mod that raises the HP to 200 or 210 HP...that kind of HP in a car that light and well-balanced would be like driving a racing car.

I tell you, this morning I felt like an "old" man driving my Seville. Maybe what I really need is a CTS-V :coolgleam

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-04, 02:24 PM
yah im warming up to minis and VW diesels more every day , esp those days when i dump 35 bucks down the filler neck of the caddy

i dont think ill have the deville for another 6 months , her time has come , thankyou opec . i have to give up feeling safe to afford to drive

Ralph
05-18-04, 02:46 PM
I've never smiled so much driving a car.

Until you are broad-sided by a Yukon XL or Durango!

I know they must be fun to drive because my Dad briefly had an orange Mini in the 1970's appropriately named "The Great Pumpkin." :p However, if I lived in England with much higher gas prices, and little narrow streets, I personally would THEN consider one. With our vast, wide-open spaces and miles to the next town geography, I would never get one in NA.

I would check the NHTSA for safety ratings for such a coffin, oops, I mean car. :lildevil: At least you would be a smaller "target" for larger vehicles. :hmm:

1toycad
05-18-04, 03:48 PM
Until you are broad-sided by a Yukon XL or Durango!

I know they must be fun to drive because my Dad briefly had an orange Mini in the 1970's appropriately named "The Great Pumpkin." :p However, if I lived in England with much higher gas prices, and little narrow streets, I personally would THEN consider one. With our vast, wide-open spaces and miles to the next town geography, I would never get one in NA.

I would check the NHTSA for safety ratings for such a coffin, oops, I mean car. :lildevil: At least you would be a smaller "target" for larger vehicles. :hmm:
Ah, my Natasha-loving, Cadillac-driving friend. (And BTW, keep the pictures coming, she is simply delicious. She is almost as perfect as Catherine Zeta Jones)
I HAVE checked the Mini's safety ratings and guess what I found :confused:

The Mini Cooper has a higher safety rating than my own Seville. :bonkers:

The Mini Cooper earned a five-star rating across the board. Much better than the 1999 Seville. I was shocked and confused. :hmm:

(Incidentally, the new Beetle likewise earned a high rating from the folks whose job it is to rank these kinds of things.)

The Mini gets its high rating by using a super stiff frame and by surrounding the driver and passengers in a veritable marshmallow cocoon. There are air bags everywhere. The Mini also comes with a tire pressure monitor (like the CTS and Devilles), traction and stability control and a bunch of other goodies. Remember, the Mini is made by Germans (BMW) and Germans are fanatic about equipping cars with safety features.

Now, having said that, the laws of physics are still the laws of physics and in a match-up between a Freigthliner and a Mini I am afraid that the Mini will end up on the short end. :helpless:

But then again, according to the ratings, so will my 1999 Seville....so oh well. :bouncy:

Pimpin_Whity
05-18-04, 04:01 PM
you have to remember that when they test these things, they smash the cars into a wall at around 40mph. a mini going 40 is very different then a seville going 40. most of the time you wont be smashing into a fixed wall, hitting a small tree in the mini is the same thing as hittig that wall while the seville won't even feel it.

or try hitting the mini with the seville :drinker, you'll get a mini pancake :lildevil:

Playdrv4me
05-18-04, 05:27 PM
The Mini is a good... no a GREAT little car if you can handle the safety aspect of it. They super-tuned one on Tuner Transformation and that thing just about frieken took off. You can get them in the S model with Everything from Navigation to Xenon lights for around 25k, and youre basically getting a micro-BMW handling and chassis, certainly a TEN FOLD more appealing choice than that PT Cruiser, especially now that Mini is getting a drop-top.

Dead Sled
05-18-04, 06:36 PM

I went to go take a GTO for a drive but the dealer I went to wont let ANYONE test drive any of their vehicles

"well I'll start it and let you hear it run" was as close as they would let me

Ralph
05-18-04, 06:40 PM
Ah my Natasha-loving, Cadillac-driving friend. She is almost as perfect as Catherine Zeta Jones

:tisk: :histeric:

I guess they are tough little cars then. Something to consider though, CBC News did a special on crumple zones and found that for single-one time impacts, small cars did just fine. However, for freeway driving at high speed, in a chain-reaction-type multiple hit pile-up, larger cars faired much better because if you already "use-up" your crumple zones in an impact with a small car, you'd better hope another impact is a fantasy.

Still, the fun factor is great I'm sure.

Catherine Z.. :helpless: :D

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-04, 06:41 PM
wait untill a GM Autoshow in motion comes to your area , i drove the new GTO , a arsehole earler crashed one , after that GM said no more leaving second gear and we all had to have a babay sitter .

Mine was a brittish dude , who after seeing how careful i was with it instructed me to go full throttle thru the rest of the coarse , intructing me the whole way how to drive the car at full speed which we did at the very top of second which is very fast given the coarse we had (very tight autcross course) i would say we went around 65-75 mph. i have to say that ls1 at WOT with light mid corner tire squeel is a awesome experence , that car just squats and goes

Ralph
05-18-04, 06:43 PM
I went to go take a GTO for a drive but the dealer I went to wont let ANYONE test drive any of their vehicles

"well I'll start it and let you hear it run" was as close as they would let me

How do they expect to sell them then?? I would have told him "I'll buy one somewhere else!"

Dead Sled
05-18-04, 06:52 PM
How do they expect to sell them then?? I would have told him "I'll buy one somewhere else!"

I told them don't ever expect to see me here again ever

Pimpin_Whity
05-18-04, 09:28 PM
She is almost as perfect as Catherine Zeta Jonesyeah, after a year on slim-fast and a plastic surgery :drinker

c5 rv
05-18-04, 09:49 PM
Check out the on-line forums and other sources for information on the "Mini stumble". It may be fixed with a re-flashed ECU program.

1toycad
05-18-04, 09:54 PM
yeah, after a year on slim-fast and a plastic surgery :drinker
How dare you Sir....Ms. Zeta Jones is the epitome of female beauty (my loving wife notwithstanding).

When I saw her in Zorro, I kept praying that her outfit wold fall off after each sword slash :p

El Dobro
05-18-04, 10:45 PM
I never put too much stock in crash tests. After all, they are in a controlled environment. A few inches off and you could have entirely different results.

Pimpin_Whity
05-18-04, 11:04 PM
How dare you Sir....Ms. Zeta Jones is the epitome of female beauty (my loving wife notwithstanding).

When I saw her in Zorro, I kept praying that her outfit wold fall off after each sword slash :p
IMHO she's not too good looking, my ex was wwwwwwaaaaayyyyyy better :D

Ralph
05-19-04, 03:57 AM

The most beautiful American actress is Jenna Gering, (an American Elle Macphearson) and she is probably too tall for a Mini Cooper. :worship:

1toycad
05-19-04, 08:51 AM
The most beautiful American actress is Jenna Gering, (an American Elle Macphearson) and she is probably too tall for a Mini Cooper. :worship:
Gentlemen, gentlemen....the most beautiful American actress is....

Jennifer Connelly (bushy eyebrows and all)...she exudes a natural beauty that is hard to match....and she is perfectly Mini Cooper sized....

Good thing my wife is not following this thread, otherwise I'd be so busted :lildevil:

By the way Pimpin Whity, how did you get an "ex" at age 17?

RBraczyk
05-19-04, 09:08 AM
Ex girlfriend man. I woudn't know :-(

tru504187211
05-19-04, 09:41 AM
Easily these days, females are crazy nowadays.

I haven't warmed up at all to the "tragically common, yet fashionably hip" mini coopers, (as maddox would call them)

1toycad
05-19-04, 12:18 PM
Easily these days, females are crazy nowadays.

I haven't warmed up at all to the "tragically common, yet fashionably hip" mini coopers, (as maddox would call them)
I don't get your first sentence. Speaking from my vast reservoir of life experience (namely the fact that I am fast approaching 50) I can tell you that females have been acting crazy ever since the day Eve presented Adam with a juicy apple to bite into (although, given the geography of the supposed location for the Garden of Eden, I am sure it was a pomegranate and not an apple, but I digress...) :rolleyes2

Anyhow, women have been acting crazy ever since then...and that's what makes them so charming....wouldn't want to change a thing about them. :D

RBraczyk
05-19-04, 01:22 PM
PMS would be a nice thing to erase.

1toycad
05-19-04, 01:26 PM
PMS would be a nice thing to erase.
What? You don't like to live dangerously?:bonkers:

Ralph
05-19-04, 01:50 PM
Charlize Theron made the Mini look good. She is very tall and they had to modify the classic Mini she drove in certain scenes of "The Italian Job" so she could fit.

Connely is beautiful, I like her eyes. But gentlemen prefer blondes. :halo:

1toycad
05-19-04, 02:05 PM
Connely is beautiful, I like her eyes. But gentlemen prefer blondes. :halo:
I guess that means that I ain't no gentleman...I prefer the dark haired beauties...:lildevil:

Although in the case of Charlize...in a MIni...I may make an exception....:lildevil: :lildevil:

Pimpin_Whity
05-19-04, 03:00 PM
By the way Pimpin Whity, how did you get an "ex" at age 17?ex girlfriend u dummy :rolleyes2, i'm way too young to have a wife

1toycad
05-19-04, 03:59 PM
ex girlfriend u dummy :rolleyes2, i'm way too young to have a wife
You're from Brooklyn man...anything is possible in the boroughs :hmm:

Incidentally, that was the point of the question

Ralph
05-20-04, 12:26 AM
ex girlfriend u dummy :rolleyes2, i'm way too young to have a wife

If you lived in Saskatchewan you wouldn't be. The age of consent here is 14!!

I don't want to start another girl thread, but this is Jenna Gering, the American Natasha Henstridge I mentioned before. Even born the same year, 1974. My new favorite American actress. Too tall for a Mini!

Can someone enlighten me on the hp and torque for the Mini? I'm up for a good laugh. :lildevil:

1toycad
05-20-04, 12:24 PM
If you lived in Saskatchewan you wouldn't be. The age of consent here is 14!!

I don't want to start another girl thread, but this is Jenna Gering, the American Natasha Henstridge I mentioned before. Even born the same year, 1974. My new favorite American actress. Too tall for a Mini!

Can someone enlighten me on the hp and torque for the Mini? I'm up for a good laugh. :lildevil:
Here are the numbers. Laugh away! :coolgleam

Mini (standard) Horsepower: 115 @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 110 @ 4500 rpm
Pwr 2 weight: 1 hp/21.9 pounds

Mini "S" Horsepower: 163 @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 155 @ 4000 rpm
Pwr 2 weight: 1 hp/16.4 pounds

There is an aftermarket mod that boosts HP to 200 or 210 hp (not sure of the exact number). It is a $5K mod and I think it includes new brakes, etc.

Those are good numbers for such a small sized car. Remember, the engine is made by BMW and although I am a Mercedes fan, BMW is neverhteless famous for squeezing max hp out of its engines.

BTW Ralph, good photos. Keep 'em coming :lildevil:

Ralph
05-20-04, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm not a BMW fan unfortunately, but the "S" sounds like fun.

Thanks for the numbers!

1toycad
05-20-04, 05:56 PM
Well, I'm not a BMW fan unfortunately, but the "S" sounds like fun.

Thanks for the numbers!
Thanks for the pics....:coolgleam

I am not a BMW fan either...but exceptions can be made...

Ralph
05-20-04, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the pics....:coolgleam

No prob. Just like Natty eh? :p Oh ya, time to change Avatar!

I will have to test drive the Mini, just for fun to understand what you are taling about.

p.s. have you or anyone else noticed that the little tag "square" markers are missing to indicate which posts you have participated in? Also, when viewing a thread, at the bottom, it doesn't show by name, who else is on that thread?