: Head gasket price/strategy?

RLLOVETT
05-18-04, 12:34 PM
I've been nursing my 94 Eldo (130k) with coolant and Bars Leaks--a big PITA. I finally found an independent, full service shop that's done a couple of these and sounds like they know what they're doing (didn't look blankly when I mentioned Timeserts, e.g.).
Two questions: 1--Price. Service manager says 400 to look inside and button it back up if there's more than can be fixed, and 1300+/- for the job, barring the unforeseen.
2--Strategy. I've printed off several tips and trick for this job (that I would use if I had a garage for DIY, but I don't). Would it be micro-managing to give these to the shop? I will also offer the use of my Helms manuals but also wondering if this will put someone's nose out of joint? Thoughts? Thanks!

BeelzeBob
05-18-04, 03:00 PM
I would think that any reasonable shop with the right attitude would welome the manual and any other info that could be provided. If the mention of the info gets their nose out of joint it might be a good indicator to keep looking.....

zonie77
05-19-04, 02:01 AM
I think you should tell them you've been researching the problem and have the book and would they like to see what you found. If they are good mechanics they should at least want to take a look.
You can then ask them if that was anything new and see what they say.

RLLOVETT
05-19-04, 06:47 AM
Thanks, Zonie and Bbob--good strategies!