: gasket questions on the northstar

BigJon
02-20-08, 06:08 PM
well i am going to be removing the motor on my Cadillac and i was wondering if i should replace some gaskets like the rear main seal and stuff since it cant bedone unless the motor is out better to be safe than sorry you know?

and input will be great

Jon

Submariner409
02-20-08, 06:31 PM
From your post down in tateo's thread it sounds like you're doing head gaskets. If there are no oil leaks in the crankcase half seal or the oil pan gasket, why tear them apart? Once you pull the lower case half off a N* you're in the oil pump and main bearing business. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMHO.....

BigJon
02-20-08, 08:56 PM
no i am replacing my transmission and oil pan gasket...

Submariner409
02-20-08, 09:29 PM
Ah, so. The oil pan should be no trouble if you can get the engine upside down, otherwise you'll be in the contortionist business. I think there's a weird puller for the rear crank seal - check with eWill3 or AJ if you feel you have to change it. Never had a 4T80E off the engine, so that is out of my ballpark.

tateos
02-21-08, 01:50 PM
No weird puller required - the FSM recommends drilling a small hole in the old seal and using a dent puller slide hammer - that is what I did and it worked GREAT. It is the installer for the new design seal that is special

BigJon
02-21-08, 02:45 PM
i hope my rear main seal is good cuz i dont want to have to buy a 200$ tool

AJxtcman
02-21-08, 05:37 PM
Sorry I had an emergency fire to put out that I started:duh:

I would reseal the case halves and oil pan. I will post a link.

AJxtcman
02-21-08, 05:38 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/117232-case-halves-reseal-fwd-rtv-sealant.html