Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How do I turn off the "change oil" light!!!???

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  cadydaddy 
#1 ·
I just all of a sudden came on the other day and stays on now, yeah If I listened to that I would have went like 11k miles on one hahahaah.

So what is the secret????

thanks in advance.

#8 ·
yeah. theres two options i'm not sure because some cadillacs are different than others. try turning the key to on and pumping the gas pedal down about 10 times (it works for newer chevys and some 90's cadillacs).

also try going to where it shows you your engine oil life. presing select or menu or something i cant remember. but go there and then hold down either reset or if theres a button next to reset (i think it's trip/odo or something... i could be wrong so dont kill me) try holding down both if holding down one doesnt work. shortly after you do that it should say something like XXX% OIL LIFE. keep holding until it says either OIL LIFE RESET or 100% OIL LIFE.

i work at jiffy lube. i do this for a living.

if for some reason that doesn't work, let me know and ill check tomorrow when i go to work. we have a whole book that says how to reset different oil lights. good luck

#11 ·
The oil life meter was only on the FWD Caddies of that year and years prior. There was a fuel economy guage with all sorts of features and pressing two buttons showed oil life in a percent, but you had to reset it after every oil change, since it ran off mileage, not a sensor. I don't think the RWD Cads had such a computer (after '85 atleast), so the pedal pumping is the best option I think. Remember this car has the sensor-controlled idiot light, not the gauge. And if something hadn't been reset, then the light would have been on since the oil change, but it just now came on. That tells me there is just a glitch and the pedal reset method should set you off clean.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.