: waterpump

1badsts
05-18-04, 01:55 AM
Hey guys i was wondering if any one knew how hard it is to replace my water pump in my 98 seville sts and also what tools I NEED

BeelzeBob
05-18-04, 01:55 PM
It is very easy to change...if you have the special tool to unseat the water pump cartridge from the water crossover casting. The Northstar water pump tool is available from many sources and some autoparts stores lend/rent them....

Once you have the tool in hand it is very simple. Remove the water pump cover on the backside of the water crossover housing (where the radiator hose connects to the water pump). The pump cartridge is inside. Insert the tool to grab it and turn it clockwise to remove it. It is a "left handed" cam lock. Replace the o-ring in the crossover casting, lube it with some antifreeze and install the new pump cartridge by clocking it counterclockwise.

Other than the special tool it is the easiest water pump on the planet to change.

cadillacstars
05-19-04, 12:11 AM
take care to notice how your old pump came out, because it will only go back in one way. and ALWAYS use a new cover seal.