Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1990 FWB Dead Battery Swap, now it wont idle

753 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  grant33 
#1 ·
To all any help is greatly appreciated,
my 1990 Fleetwood Brougham with 350 tbi chevy sat for a month in the maryland cold and the battery died. so i put a new battery in and its starts right up, fast idles for 10 secs than it basically turns itself off. i have tried it for 3 days, and everytime, starts right up, fast idles than dies. i disconnected the battery, let it sit for 5 minutes in on mode and then started it, and i can hear the fuel pump clatter, so i am 99% percent sure it gets gas. it ran great up until this point before the battery died. its likes the computer forgot how to idle or something. any help is greatly appreciated, at least so i can drive it to the shop instead of having to tow it. thanks

#2 ·
This may be off base. It's based upon my experiences with an 88 chevy. But since nobody else has stepped up to the plate I figured I'd give it a go.
If you hit the throttle can you get it to keep running longer than 10 seconds? If so, then the computer has "forgotten how to idle" - the chevy I had did it every time you disconnected the battery. It actually had an "idle learn procedure" that you had to go through to get it to "learn how to idle" again. That entailed letting it run until the electric rediator fan had cycled on and off twice. Until it did that it wouldn't idle on its own - you had to keep the throttle depressed a little all the time, meant braking with the left foot.
Like I said, this may be off base, and might not apply to Caddy's at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.