: How did you safety recall work turn out, here's mine!

GMBOUND
02-19-08, 04:35 PM
2-14, I dropped of the V, they didn't have the specific part for the V so thy installed a new diff.
Friday, I started to hear the whine.
2-18 on the way to work, I couldn't get the car to back out of the garage w/o a whole lot of gas.
2-19 On the way home from work, I had a weird smell coming from the rear.
This afternoon before I get ready to go back to work I see this.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/gmbound/CTS-V/Safety%20Recall/SafetyRecall001.jpg
Then I get closer to see this
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/gmbound/CTS-V/Safety%20Recall/SafetyRecall002.jpg
Well the cardboard has been on the ground to catch that good stuff, why did it miss this time?
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/gmbound/CTS-V/Safety%20Recall/SafetyRecall003.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/gmbound/CTS-V/Safety%20Recall/SafetyRecall004.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/gmbound/CTS-V/Safety%20Recall/SafetyRecall005.jpg

Does anybody else have this problem.
Lindsay any suggestions?
I'm busy as hell so I'm going to try to get it back to the dealer tomorrow.
Will Cadillac Roadside come pick this up??

nikon
02-19-08, 05:46 PM
Looks like ATF to me........kinda looks like it followed the exhaust all the way down, cause the diff looks clean.

bossplayer
02-19-08, 05:52 PM
Ha! Mine didn't have the bad seal! Sorry about your troubles though.... man that sux. Superior do the work?

Twitch
02-19-08, 06:17 PM
Looks like ATF to me........kinda looks like it followed the exhaust all the way down, cause the diff looks clean.

Yeah, find out where it's coming from.
Good luck.

urbanski
02-19-08, 07:15 PM
that also looks like its been there a while

heavymetals
02-19-08, 07:21 PM
Someone forget to put fluid in it?

Those look like old stains.

New diff or someone sure cleaned up that housing.

PISNUOFF
02-19-08, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't drive it, unless you want another new diff. It seems like they messed up when putting it together, that's the only way it would be binding when you back it out of the garage. The fluid on the exhaust looks like they spilled it on there when they filled it and didn't clean it off.

GMBOUND
02-19-08, 07:22 PM
Ha! Mine didn't have the bad seal! Sorry about your troubles though.... man that sux. Superior do the work?

Yep, and suicycle is not there anymore, he's at Broome. He told me to come by but I couldn't stomach the extra drive.
Been puttin in extremely long hours at this place.

I called them and they already have a rental car set up for me tomorrow. My thing is the wasted time, which I have very little to waist.

GMBOUND
02-19-08, 07:37 PM
Where is the Safety from this Recall?
I think I was better off without it.
Yes there are plenty of old stains on the floor of my garage, that's why I put the cardboard down.

I'm hoping whatever the fluid is, that it comes off the exhaust clean when I take it to the undercarriage wash, as that exhaust is now a classic, It came off of the infamous StealthV.

Jon
02-19-08, 11:21 PM
Off topic but wtf happened to your B&B? It's not shiney anymore

GMBOUND
02-19-08, 11:57 PM
Damn White Sh!t keeps falling here.
I can't get it to the car wash fast enough and it's too cold to wash it by hand.
I really miss Texas.

ewill3rd
02-20-08, 06:58 AM
Its hard to tell from the photos.
Not sure why you'd have issues moving the car, that looks like it could be an issue with the vent. It looks heavily centered towards the left side.
If they haven't done many diff replacements before they might not have realized that the new diff doesn't come with a vent and you have to install one, it could be spewing grease out of the hole for the vent. I had one like that a few weeks ago that came from the FACTORY with no vent!!
At any rate, I'd take it back and make them recheck their work.
That fluid does look old, but it doesn't look that old. Once it gets on the exhaust it starts cooking but if it is fresh it will still be a little wet (don't burn your fingers!).

How many miles have you gone with the new diff? I am sure they put fluid in.. but it is possible that they didn't.
It could be coming from up front, but the tank looks awfully dry to be coming from as far up as the trans, and those don't leak very often... I have seen one so far.

Oh and I advise against washing it off for two reasons:
1. They need to see the leak pattern to find out where it is coming from
2. If there is no vent in the diff housing, you may fill it with water... if it hasn't gotten some in it already.

Water + moving metal parts = bad

StealthCTSVJJL
02-20-08, 09:21 AM
I've been saying it, the biggest challenge with our cars is not so much things breaking, which they do in a lot of high performance cars, it's getting them fixed right at the Caddy dealer that is used to working on DTS's and other octogenerian vehicles. My 05 diff never had a problem till I took it in to change the diff oil as a precaution, they didn't put in the additive and a few miles later it was binding in corners. They replaced the clutch packs, refilled this time with additive and now I have a loud whine, whereas before, the whine was barely audible, plus the rear feels clunky or looser for some reason.
I think the mechanics in most, not all, Caddy dealers just don't understand these cars and sometimes wind up doing more harm than good. Unfortunately not all dealers are like the fabled Lindsay Cadillac, the rest of us have to live with the "ignoranti".

heavymetals
02-20-08, 12:55 PM
Ross Perot (member him?) told GM basically the same thing.

Their answer?

Buy him out and get him off the BOD.

JimmyH
02-20-08, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear this happen to you. You just convinced me though. I think I am keeping with what I have and filing the recall notice.

GMBOUND
02-20-08, 11:10 PM
Its hard to tell from the photos.
Not sure why you'd have issues moving the car, that looks like it could be an issue with the vent. It looks heavily centered towards the left side.
If they haven't done many diff replacements before they might not have realized that the new diff doesn't come with a vent and you have to install one, it could be spewing grease out of the hole for the vent. I had one like that a few weeks ago that came from the FACTORY with no vent!!
At any rate, I'd take it back and make them recheck their work.
That fluid does look old, but it doesn't look that old. Once it gets on the exhaust it starts cooking but if it is fresh it will still be a little wet (don't burn your fingers!).

How many miles have you gone with the new diff? I am sure they put fluid in.. but it is possible that they didn't.
It could be coming from up front, but the tank looks awfully dry to be coming from as far up as the trans, and those don't leak very often... I have seen one so far.

Oh and I advise against washing it off for two reasons:
1. They need to see the leak pattern to find out where it is coming from
2. If there is no vent in the diff housing, you may fill it with water... if it hasn't gotten some in it already.

Water + moving metal parts = bad

They claim everything is fine.
Supposedly, the fluid was from the Last Diff:suspect: the one they took off to do the Recall.
I'm about 98% sure that there was no Fresh Fluid on the floor before I dropped it off the 1st time but??
I'd only put 200 miles on the new Diff.
They Checked the Diff Fluid and the Transmission fluid, and found no problems.
It drove fine on the way to work this afternoon:thumbsup:

They power washed the fluid off my StealthV B&B Cat-Back. IT's now shiney like the first day, when I spent 3 hours unwrapping it after Rick sent it to me:)
Oh yeah, I still remember that:canttalk:

When the temp gets above freezing, I'll clean the garage floor up again and see if anything new appears.

Thanks for the help.

GMBOUND
02-20-08, 11:14 PM
plus the rear feels clunky or looser for some reason.

YES!!! I didn't know if it was the high winds or the diff, but my V was seriously loose the last couple of days. It appears to be fine now. I really think they did something but just didn't tell me what they did.

urbanski
02-21-08, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear this happen to you. You just convinced me though. I think I am keeping with what I have and filing the recall notice.

me too
if i had received one yet

ewill3rd
02-21-08, 08:31 AM
I'd hang on to your photos, clean up the garage floor, and maybe lay a piece of cardboard down so it is easy to see any more leaks, and easier to clean up than trying to extract the oil from concrete.

JimmyH
02-21-08, 09:45 AM
me too
if i had received one yet

yeah right, you are just looking forward to your barney-mobile

C66 Racing
02-23-08, 01:00 PM
Good luck, hope it turns out to be nothing.

I too am not too happy with the diff recall. I had mine done a few weeks ago while my car was at the dealer for a leaking water pump. My once quiet diff now squeaks on tight turns (I suspect they drained my AMSOIL Severe Gear and put GM fluid back in) and the drivetrain has a clunk when easing onto the clutch from a stop (like in slow stop and go traffic) that it didn't have before. The clunk sounds like it is coming from the rear so I don't think it is the clutch, maybe something slipping in the diff. Think I'm going to change the fluid back and see if that helps.

GMBOUND
02-23-08, 07:51 PM
After I figure out how to order from your site, I may be placing an order.
First I want to make sure I don't have any leaks, Hate to buy the good stuff and have it on the floor.

How does this stuff work in the below freezing temps?
I really think the cold weather is where most of my problems are coming from. drives good going to work. Horrible on the way home after it's sat in the parking lot all night.

ewill3rd
02-23-08, 08:00 PM
One problem you V guys may run into is this:

Some guys don't know that the G80 is part of the V package. Our parts guys check the vehicle build for the G80 option, but it doesn't show on the V.
Without G80 some guys won't put the friction modifier in. WE know better.
You may end up with some chatter if they fill it with plain lube and I have heard stories about some dealers thinking you guys are speaking Chinese when you tell them it needs the friction modifier because even though it doesn't show the G80 option, it has one.

What you end up with is the clutches chattering on turns.
A simple fluid change with the proper balance of friction modifier will fix it, no harm is done, just noisy.

CTSV_Rob
02-23-08, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems GM but I'm glad you posted. My leak free, noise free 07 Diff willl stay until it actually starts to show any problems.

GMBOUND
02-23-08, 10:10 PM
No problem, I'm glad to be of service.

So Lindsay do you recommend aftermarket lube?

Rob, what fluids have you changed and what did you use in replacement. I need a lift at the house. I know this stuff is simple to do but 11degree floors aren't fun to lay on!

What I have learned is that on my next house, I need a heated garage, with a floor drain and pressure washer.
I don't care if we go down to a two bedroom house, I need these in the next one.

CTSV_Rob
02-23-08, 10:22 PM
I went with the AMSOIL Severe Gear and it's working well so far but my V doesn't see the extremes yours does.

I would NEVER want to lay on a concrete floor when it's 11 degrees outside. I have a kerosene heater and I kick that on when the temps dip below 50 (I know I know - wuss).

I sure like the floor drain idea, I wish I had one but in CA at least I can open the garage and squeegee it out.

Still don't have a lift and I'm trying to figure out if I will attempt the engine swap or try to find a garage that I trust to do it. Still a ways away from that but my fear is I will try and Super Charge the LS2 and the Hyperutectic (sp?) pistons will give up the good fight under 8 PSI of boost.

Back to the dilemma of All motor or SC.... Decisions decisions.

I went down to LA to test drive Lunarx's Mallet (427 all motor :drool:) and the clutch started acting up so no test drive. I am not bummed about not test driving his car but I sure felt sorry for him. He is in Mod Hell at the moment and not enjoying the scenery.

Good Luck Ernie!

C66 Racing
02-24-08, 01:13 PM
After I figure out how to order from your site, I may be placing an order.

Dropping you a PM with an offer on the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm), which would allow you to buy at dealer wholesale pricing.

As for the cold weather performance of the AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w90 - I feel that is very well suited for cold weather given the beneficial properties of its Group IV PAO synthetic basestock.

Viscosity Index (VI) is a measure of the fluid's viscosity change as temperature change. A higher VI indicates less change (e.g. the fluid's viscosity remains more stable). AMSOIL's VI is 165, GMs is 152.

The Brookfield Viscosity Test is a measure of the fluid's cold weather performance (lower number is better). AMSOIL's is 68,150 cP, GM's is 93,730 cP. :cheers:

GMBOUND
02-24-08, 02:47 PM
I went with the AMSOIL Severe Gear and it's working well so far but my V doesn't see the extremes yours does.

I would NEVER want to lay on a concrete floor when it's 11 degrees outside. I have a kerosene heater and I kick that on when the temps dip below 50 (I know I know - wuss).

I sure like the floor drain idea, I wish I had one but in CA at least I can open the garage and squeegee it out.

Still don't have a lift and I'm trying to figure out if I will attempt the engine swap or try to find a garage that I trust to do it. Still a ways away from that but my fear is I will try and Super Charge the LS2 and the Hyperutectic (sp?) pistons will give up the good fight under 8 PSI of boost.

Back to the dilemma of All motor or SC.... Decisions decisions.

I went down to LA to test drive Lunarx's Mallet (427 all motor :drool:) and the clutch started acting up so no test drive. I am not bummed about not test driving his car but I sure felt sorry for him. He is in Mod Hell at the moment and not enjoying the scenery.

Good Luck Ernie!

What else are you using AMSOIL in besides your diff?

CTSV_Rob
02-24-08, 03:10 PM
That's it, I have the royal purple in the 6 speed. Not sure if that was a good idea though shifting seems to be a bit notchy still. I think I may try the AMSOIL product next.

Any recommendations C66?

GMBOUND
02-24-08, 05:47 PM
At 4:30am when I leave the parking lot, the shifting doesn't function to smoothly either. That's why I was asking.
I think I just might need one of those 3000ft range Compustar remote starters. The problem is there's only one place in the state installing them.

CTSV_Rob
02-24-08, 05:49 PM
If I was in your area I would find out a way to get one of those installed. I really do not like the cold.

Curious George
02-24-08, 05:56 PM
That's it, I have the royal purple in the 6 speed. Not sure if that was a good idea though shifting seems to be a bit notchy still. I think I may try the AMSOIL product next.

Any recommendations C66?

Well, the gearbox carries a "DEXRON ONLY" tag, and the Tremec T-56 Service Manual (downloaded from TTC.com) recommends DEXRON III or II-E. If the metallurgy is designed for DEXRON, then IMHO a DEXRON III-compatible lube is called for. :hide:

My transmission ran hotter than I would have liked on the track earlier this month, so I'm installing GMPD's transmission oil cooler. I have also submitted a question to TTC about recommended lubricants for competition use. Film at eleven, as they say.

SkullV
02-24-08, 05:58 PM
At 4:30am when I leave the parking lot, the shifting doesn't function to smoothly either. That's why I was asking.
I think I just might need one of those 3000ft range Compustar remote starters. The problem is there's only one place in the state installing them.

Do you really trust your parking brake to park in neutural and still keep your car from rolling? I would LOVE a remote starter, but I just dont trust that parking brake!

CTSV_Rob
02-24-08, 06:21 PM
The parking brake works great on a flat surface :D

CTSV_Rob
02-24-08, 06:32 PM
Well, the gearbox carries a "DEXRON ONLY" tag, and the Tremec T-56 Service Manual (downloaded from TTC.com) recommends DEXRON III or II-E. If the metallurgy is designed for DEXRON, then IMHO a DEXRON III-compatible lube is called for. :hide:

My transmission ran hotter than I would have liked on the track earlier this month, so I'm installing GMPD's transmission oil cooler. I have also submitted a question to TTC about recommended lubricants for competition use. Film at eleven, as they say.
I remember seeing that sticker when the transmission was sitting on my garage floor :D

Of Course I have put a DEXRON III Compatible fluid in mine

Tremec T-56 (DEXRON III) http://www.royalpurple.com/productsi/blkArrow.gifSynchromax (http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html)

I was just trying to say that it shifts no better than the DEXRON III factory fluid. I was looking for a better alternative that will of course keep the temps down while providing smoother shifts. C66 is a distributor for the AMSOIL products and I have always had good luck with their products like the Severe Gear fluid I have in the rear diff right now.

I am open to trying a different fluid which is of course DEXRON III compatible and if they have any additives to improve shifting I would be interested in those as well.

Shifting is not bad but it is still a bit notchy. No complaints about it but if there is something out there to make it better I'm always interested.

I am interested to see what TTC says about the fluid.

So which cooler did you go with and how do you like it?

NormV
02-24-08, 06:48 PM
I use Royal Pruple in diff and gear box. In the single digits the shifter is stiff for the first couple hundred feet. You should be gentle the first 1/4 mile or so. When it is in the teens the trans temp never gets above 100F after an hour. :)

Norm

CTSV_Rob
02-24-08, 06:54 PM
I don't need to worry about that Norm. Cold to me is about 40F.

The trans doesn't get any better even when up to full operating temps. I was in an other V and the shifting was so freakin' smooth I couldn't believe it was the same car/transmission.

I really am not bothered too much by it and I probably wouldn't even think about it if I hadn't test drove that V.

When I shift I do not force it into gear. The rule for me is it will drop into gear when it's ready. Just that even when it does drop in it's not as smooth as the other car I drove. His was older then mine and had much more miles so maybe it has something to do with Break-in. Don't know...

NormV
02-24-08, 07:20 PM
...just what I was thinking. More break-in time! You sound similar to me as we have "mechanical passion" and don' drive our cars like a 16 year old! :)

Norm

I don't need to worry about that Norm. Cold to me is about 40F.

The trans doesn't get any better even when up to full operating temps. I was in an other V and the shifting was so freakin' smooth I couldn't believe it was the same car/transmission.

I really am not bothered too much by it and I probably wouldn't even think about it if I hadn't test drove that V.

When I shift I do not force it into gear. The rule for me is it will drop into gear when it's ready. Just that even when it does drop in it's not as smooth as the other car I drove. His was older then mine and had much more miles so maybe it has something to do with Break-in. Don't know...

CTSV_Rob
02-24-08, 08:34 PM
All the way.

Maybe an immature 41 but not like a 16 YO :D

GMBOUND
02-24-08, 10:25 PM
Do you really trust your parking brake to park in neutural and still keep your car from rolling? I would LOVE a remote starter, but I just dont trust that parking brake!

Parking lot is pretty flat at the plant, plus the mounds of snow everywhere are good chocks too!

GMBOUND
02-24-08, 10:29 PM
I use Royal Pruple in diff and gear box. In the single digits the shifter is stiff for the first couple hundred feet. You should be gentle the first 1/4 mile or so. When it is in the teens the trans temp never gets above 100F after an hour. :)

Norm

Thanks.
I guess my trans temp hasn't been above 100F all week then, cause my drive to work is around 30mins.

CTSV_Rob
02-25-08, 02:43 AM
By the way GM, Does the "JL" in your sig stand for Jiffy Lube?

Just wonderin'

C66 Racing
02-25-08, 09:33 AM

Any recommendations C66?

AMSOIL makes two transmission fluids suitable for Dexron III applications.
AMSOIL ATF (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATFPB.htm) (stock# ATFQT)
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATDPB.htm) (stock# ATD)

I've been using the ATF in my 02 Z06 Tremec for years on the track without any failures and put it in my 06 CTS-V late last summer. Shift feel in the CTS-V was improved over the GM stock fluid, but even with the synthetic in the tranny, it is still a little notchy on cold morning (and we've had a lot of them in the Puget Sound this winter).

I will probably switch to the ATD in my Z06 this season and may try it in the CTS-V as well. AMSOIL reformulated the ATF last year and it is now has a slightly lower viscosity than it did before. The ATDs viscosity is about the same as the ATF's was and I feel that this higher viscosity is a better fit for a tranny that sees high temps on the track (even with the tranny cooler I have in my Z06).
:cheers:

Curious George
02-25-08, 02:04 PM
I remember seeing that sticker when the transmission was sitting on my garage floor :D

Of Course I have put a DEXRON III Compatible fluid in mine

Tremec T-56 (DEXRON III) http://www.royalpurple.com/productsi/blkArrow.gifSynchromax (http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html)

I was just trying to say that it shifts no better than the DEXRON III factory fluid. I was looking for a better alternative that will of course keep the temps down while providing smoother shifts. C66 is a distributor for the AMSOIL products and I have always had good luck with their products like the Severe Gear fluid I have in the rear diff right now.
I am interested to see what TTC says about the fluid.

So which cooler did you go with and how do you like it?

Here's what I got back from TTC (Tremec):

Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. ...Secondly, yes, the DEX III is our factory fill for the T56 transmission series for the SCCA racing series. This fluid is an excellent all purpose lubricant. If you are not have any issues as far as shiftability, heat, etc. I would not change to a different fluid. However, if you race on a regular basis I would recommend changing the fluid occasionally.
I will look into synthetic ATFs that meet GM's DEXRON III specs. Likewise high quality synthetic gear oils for the differential.

I've bought GMPD's trans cooler. (That's the GM Performance Division. Dealer parts depts should catalogs, or go online to www.gmperformancedivision.com). I have a service appt at Stewart to install it this week. Its first track use will be 4 weeks from now.

GMBOUND
02-25-08, 04:12 PM
By the way GM, Does the "JL" in your sig stand for Jiffy Lube?

Just wonderin'

JL Audio

CTSV_Rob
02-25-08, 09:00 PM
Sorry for being ignorant and thank you for clarifying.

Love JL audio by the way. I have a 12" down fire in my 01 Ram 2500.

CTSV_Rob
02-25-08, 09:01 PM
AMSOIL makes two transmission fluids suitable for Dexron III applications.
AMSOIL ATF (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATFPB.htm) (stock# ATFQT)
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATDPB.htm) (stock# ATD)

I've been using the ATF in my 02 Z06 Tremec for years on the track without any failures and put it in my 06 CTS-V late last summer. Shift feel in the CTS-V was improved over the GM stock fluid, but even with the synthetic in the tranny, it is still a little notchy on cold morning (and we've had a lot of them in the Puget Sound this winter).

I will probably switch to the ATD in my Z06 this season and may try it in the CTS-V as well. AMSOIL reformulated the ATF last year and it is now has a slightly lower viscosity than it did before. The ATDs viscosity is about the same as the ATF's was and I feel that this higher viscosity is a better fit for a tranny that sees high temps on the track (even with the tranny cooler I have in my Z06).
:cheers:
Thanks for the info, think I'll try to the ATD.