: Where to find Tech-II programmer - Chicago?

ILLINI-SVT
02-19-08, 12:52 PM
I need access to a Tech-II programmer to enable the XM radio feature in my Bose radio for my 2003 CTS. I stopped in at the dealer and they want to charge me a full hour of labor ($140), which seems ridiculous given the 5 minutes it should take, and since the satellite receiver was only $50 to begin with.

I only have experience tuning Fords, so admittedly, I haven't used the GM tuners, but the service manager gave me some line about having to go through a learning cycle before they could get into those features, and it would take an hour. :bsflag:

So...does anyone know a shop, local or semi-local, where I could go get this done for a reasonable price? Any local techs I can buy lunch for? All help appreciated!

96Fleetwood
02-19-08, 12:56 PM
Sorry, I was banned unjustly for 2 months or I would have answered this for you....

Here is what you need:

Call Rob Schmidt at Tepco Auto Repair:

3810 W. Belmont Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
773-539-1998

He has a Tech II and does all the GM OBDII work you need.

Tell him Elias with the Black Fleetwood sent you.

ILLINI-SVT
02-19-08, 01:38 PM
Totally sweet! I just spoke with him, easy simple reasonable flat rate charge, going to see him on Saturday.

I seriously appreciate the referral! Thanks again.

96Fleetwood
02-19-08, 02:02 PM
Totally sweet! I just spoke with him, easy simple reasonable flat rate charge, going to see him on Saturday.

I seriously appreciate the referral! Thanks again.

Your welcome!

khalilio
11-15-08, 04:32 AM
Hi ILLINI-SVT

Is there a happy end to this story?
Did you get it activated after all?
Would you mind sharing the info/steps so other users can benefit as well?

I would really appreciate if you can tell us what steps has been taken to activate the XMRadio. I have the same problem, my car does not have an XM module, but I have installed a BFGM (Bluetooth Handsfree kit that integrates directly with the Head Unit to display the call information on the screen and the audio thru the car speakers) into the XM harness.

My guess is that if the XM is not activated, there won’t be power or signal to that harness and therefore my best bet for the BFGM to work is to enable the XM.

I took my car to the local dealer (Bahrain - Arabian Gulf), but they don't seem to know how to activate the XMRadio as they never seen one before.

N0DIH
11-15-08, 11:30 AM
Hmm, wonder if I can get the radio out of a newer Buick Park Ave to add XM.... Is it worth the $ monthly to have?

sivic2k
03-19-09, 04:41 PM
how much did you end up paying to get XM enabled? My dealership wants 55 bucks. Worth it?