: How hot can you go?

AJxtcman
02-18-08, 09:42 PM
OK guy's I have been holding out on this post. It is a long long story.

As you all know I have Norm's inserts in my block.

A month a go I gave a 4.5L engine and trans away to a Fiero guy. It was -9 out and I had promised the guy a ride in my car. The left headlamp re tractor relay had stuck on the last time I had driven the car so the battery was dead. I jumped my car with the charger and headed to the dealership. I was almost an hour early and when I got to the dealership he was already there. I pulled up to the body shop area and left the car run. I wanted the car warm for the beating it was going to take and I had never hooked up my heater hoses yet. It took us about 45 minutes to load the powertrain unit on his trailer. We couldn't get it high enough and had to cut the chain on the cherry picker. Well we went for that test beat (about 145mph) and returned to the dealer. We talked another 5 minutes and I started to pull it around to the shop door. The car started making a grinding noise. :hmm:
I pulled it in and found that it was over heated. I let it cooled down and added coolant. I hooked up a Tech II and started to leave. I forgot my phone, so I pulled around by the Body shop again and ran in.
I pulled out to the main road. The intersection by the dealership has a very long wait for the light to change. The car shut off. I refired it and looked at the Tech II. The coolant temp was reading 275. Yeah it was -9 out. Oh yeah the reason I am at this light is because I needed to pick up a prescription for Jodie before I came home. So I shot across the street and go into the pharmacy, by the time I get out the car is cooled down. I only live 2.5 miles from the dealer so I drove the car home. I never let it get above 245. A few days later I filled the radiator and drove it to work. It never got warm. I install my heater hoses and installed coolant through the Vacuum method. It is very hard to fill a Fiero and a Northstar makes it harder.

I have driven the car a few times and I have had NO over heating problems.
I have had no signs of combustion chamber gases in the coolant.
Of course I changed the oil
The car runs hard and I plan on hitting the dyno yet. I also plan on the Blower without pulling it down.

I don't have gauges in my car because I want to put a 00 DTS IPC in it. I have not got this in yet

Ranger
02-18-08, 10:07 PM
WOW! 275 with no ill effects? So what caused the overheat?

dkozloski
02-18-08, 10:16 PM
The GM Powertrain guy that used to frequent the forum was the head cooling system guy on the team that designed the Northstar. He swore up and down that camel mode really worked. He said that the system that selectively cut cylinders and used intake air to cool the engine from the inside out was effective enough to save the motor if you drove it completely out of water. I've seen many posts where people reported having run the car out of water for one reason or another and kept going. When they could get to somewhere they could get the problem fixed the engine survived. I'm not the least bit surprsed that yours if OK. Even if the camel mode doesn't apply to yours the motor will still take a lot of abuse.

I remember a race where a guy with a Mazda rotary lost all the water out of the car while he was leading in his class and just kept going. He never lost the lead and the motor never quit running well but the smoke finally got so bad inside the car he couldn't stand it any more and had to withdraw.

AJxtcman
02-18-08, 10:59 PM
I have those massive insert in my block. I will look at the program for a shut down temp. I think it was a good thing that the temp sensor was still reading.

Ranger
02-18-08, 11:37 PM
I think it goes into limp home mode at 260 if I remember correctly, if that is what you mean.

AJxtcman
12-16-10, 08:25 PM
As you all know I have Norm's inserts in my block.

I pulled out to the main road. The intersection by the dealership has a very long wait for the light to change. The car shut off. I refired it and looked at the Tech II. The coolant temp was reading 275. Yeah it was -9 out. Oh yeah the reason I am at this light is because I needed to pick up a prescription for Jodie before I came home. So I shot across the street and go into the pharmacy, by the time I get out the car is cooled down. I only live 2.5 miles from the dealer so I drove the car home. I never let it get above 245. A few days later I filled the radiator and drove it to work. It never got warm. I install my heater hoses and installed coolant through the Vacuum method. It is very hard to fill a Fiero and a Northstar makes it harder.

Wow 275 on Norm's inserts and I am still driving the car with out having to pull it down