: Oil Light!!!

ramon
05-17-04, 08:48 PM
Okay My 425 Is Starting To Come Around And Have A Second Life, All She Needed Was Some Good Old Tlc. But The Problem Is That The Indicator On The Dash Says, "stop Engine Oil Pressure." I Believe It Is The Pump Not Delivering All 10 Psi, I Was Just Wondering If Anyone Else Has Had This Problem And What You All Did To Solve It, I Was Just Thinking I Should Replace The Pump And Oil Pan And Maybe That Would Solve The Problem, But Any Advice Would Be Much Appreciated.
Thanks.

Dead Sled
05-17-04, 08:54 PM
first off get a mechanical oil pressure guage and hook it up to see what your oil pressure really is. from there you can start diagnosis of your oil pump or mabey just a bad sender

low oil pressure is a bad thing

Night Wolf
05-17-04, 09:21 PM
no need to capitalize the first letter of every word either....

lux hauler
05-17-04, 09:21 PM
Don't run it with low oil pressure or it'll need more than TLC to get it to come around again.
It could be a number of things causing the pressure to be low: bad bearings, clogged pick-up, worn pump, etc.
If the pressure is low, get it fixed or you'll be paying for a re-build.

bryan1970
05-17-04, 09:57 PM
one thing i found out about the 425 is that it has an external oil pump!! which is awsome if your just going to put a pump on. in fact if you take off the oil filter you can seen the gears of the oil pump! But i'd get a good mechanical gauge on ther and if it is still low pulling off the oil pan might be required to see how much crap might be on the pick up. A great way to find out what is going on in your engine is to cut open the oil filter. or you can buy screens that go over the top of the oil filter. You can easily find metal dust like stuff if the engine has ran dry much. I don't know for sure where the oil pressure switch is though i asked that question once and got diffrent answers then i figured that if the oil light wasn't on it probablly was okay.

bryan1970
05-17-04, 10:05 PM
by the way i had a bit of a mis-print on another thread about oil pressure the 425 has 10psi at idle and 30psi max which is still pretty crappy. But ifigured some over paid engineer at GM had some sort of theory behind it:hmm:

lux hauler
05-17-04, 10:18 PM
I believe the oil pressure sending unit is at the rear of the engine, near the top, just below the intake manifold, right in the center.

cadillacdeville
05-18-04, 05:02 PM
well that oil sending unit is down below the manifold to find it easly you'll see three wires runing down to a boot that connects to the unit. you can get one for around 5-10 bucks by the way if you are going to replace it you'll need a deep socket at 1 1/16 size. if that doesn't fix the problem I'd have to say that maby the filter is clogged or the pump has just given out but be warned if your going to replace that pick up I replaced the gasket on my 425 oil pan and to get to the pick up you got to remove the pan to get that thing off you not only have to lift the engin up but you gotta take the y pipe almost off it took me about 6 to 7 hours so if I was you I would try everything else befor replacing that pick up besides I doubt thats it because I checked mine out and even after 140,000 miles that screen was as clean as a whistle. although there was a little oil sludge in the bottom of the pan