: What with this car????

bubba1978
02-18-08, 10:12 AM
Well I bought this car used off a guy for $3200 cause I thought it was a great deal for a cadillac...I might have been wrong. Since I bought this car I have had nothing but problems showing there ugly face. If someone can help me figure out some of these problems i would be very happy.

First check out my first thread about an on going problem.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/131665-engine-cranks-but-doesnt-start-very.html

second, my radio shuts off randomly...like completely. No sound, no display not even the clock that usually displays when to turn the radio off manually.

Third, one day after my wife washed the car she locked it to go in a store and when she came back out she tried the unlock the doors all of them unlocked except the drivers door. So my pregnant wife had to climb over from the passanger side...as you can guess, she wasn't too happy about that. she tried to pull up on the knob manually to unlock it and it wouldn't budge. After 10 minutes she could unlock it.

And last but not least, I occasionaly have a problem removing the key from the ignition. I have to turn the key put the car in gear and then back in park to be able to remove the key. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help...please don't make me regret buying this car.

Kevin

2001CatOwner
02-18-08, 10:40 AM
I don't know about the first two. But i had the key issue and what worked for me was a "little" lube on the key pushed in and out a few times, i noticed alot of fine metal pieces and cleaned the key. Have not had a prob since.

AHazzardToAll
02-19-08, 11:30 AM
My locks did the same thing one late winter night... :confused: But both my front stayed locked and the back two unlocked. This was right after a date so if you can imagine the embarrassment of crawling through the back seats to get into my Cadillac. :bigroll: So happens i decided to go a car wash right before my date, and when i got home and got the car in the garage to warm up they came unlocked about 20min later. There was ice frozen on my car in places and I've never had a problem since, guessing the latch just froze with the water or something? Was it cold out there at the time? So far as the radio and headlights shutting off, the only time i've had that problem was right before my alternator went out, which would also cause starting problems, just a thought. Good luck.

Cadi Cat
02-19-08, 11:07 PM
My locks did the same thing one late winter night... :confused: But both my front stayed locked and the back two unlocked. This was right after a date so if you can imagine the embarrassment of crawling through the back seats to get into my Cadillac. :bigroll: So happens i decided to go a car wash right before my date, and when i got home and got the car in the garage to warm up they came unlocked about 20min later. There was ice frozen on my car in places and I've never had a problem since, guessing the latch just froze with the water or something? Was it cold out there at the time? So far as the radio and headlights shutting off, the only time i've had that problem was right before my alternator went out, which would also cause starting problems, just a thought. Good luck.

Mine does that after a wash, they also don't latch, so if they do unlock, when you go to shut the door it doesn't stay closed. Just bounces back open.

cateraowner
02-20-08, 01:47 PM
Mine does that after a wash, they also don't latch, so if they do unlock, when you go to shut the door it doesn't stay closed. Just bounces back open.

yep yep.. that happens to mine, so just make sure if you wash it in the coldpick a day the you girl want to do some purse shopping and park it underground at the mall (the million hours she takes will for sure dry the car .. heheheh well that my experence)

also withe the other electrical problems, have the battery and alternator check. the cat doesn't really use the electricity spareingly, so a weak battery or alternator may cause a couple disruptions in functions.

some sort of thing happend to me a couple weeks ago. I was assured by Partsource that my battery was good. at full charge when I'm driving I noticed when my HID head lights turned on, all the lights on my dash turned on for about a second then returned to normal. ( I don't think my radio cut out or anything)
I guess the battery was still considered good, but with the hid's turning on when I unlock the car, and staying on after I turn off the car, the battery depleated faster, so some times I would get into the car and crank it, but it wouldn't catch and eventually die out.

bubba1978
02-21-08, 02:06 PM
My locks did the same thing one late winter night... But both my front stayed locked and the back two unlocked. This was right after a date so if you can imagine the embarrassment of crawling through the back seats to get into my Cadillac. So happens i decided to go a car wash right before my date, and when i got home and got the car in the garage to warm up they came unlocked about 20min later. There was ice frozen on my car in places and I've never had a problem since, guessing the latch just froze with the water or something? Was it cold out there at the time? So far as the radio and headlights shutting off, the only time i've had that problem was right before my alternator went out, which would also cause starting problems, just a thought. Good luck.

Yes it was really cold outside i'm guessing that's what happened.

And I think you may be right on the alternator going bad. I did have the battery checked and it came back good. However last night we were sitting in a dark parking lot watching the eclipse and we had both seat heaters on and the blower cranked up all the way when all of a sudden the car died. It started righ back up. We quickly drove how before it died again and while we were sitting at a light my wife started readjusting her seat and I noticed the voltage gauge slowly dropping to the line just above the red. I quickly told her to stop and continued home. When we got home I was showing her how the gauge was dropping from her adjusting her seat and I when I turned on the rear defroster it dropped fast. It never went into the red but when I reved the engine it went back to it's normal spot ( just below the middle line) on the gauge. I then shut the car off for the night and drove my truck to work. My wife had to run to the store and of course the car didn't start and now the battery is dead from her cranking it. I drove this thing for 3 days with no problems starting and now when she goes to take it it's a no go. Of course I never abused the electrical system as much as i did last night.

Kevin

passionaterage
02-21-08, 10:12 PM
We wont make you regret buying the car, but I promise you, the car WILL...lol

bubba1978
02-21-08, 11:07 PM
Well I removed the alternator...man what a pain...had it tested and it passed????? So now i'm back to square one. Oh and by the way...who the hell made it so you had to tear apart the whole front of the engine just to change the accessory belt. So i'm thinking of trying one of my Optima red top batteries on it just for grins and see if the battery really is dead. Wish me luck.

kevin

AHazzardToAll
02-22-08, 11:54 AM
Good luck. Mine first starting having problems when u put in a system with an a/b class amp, i ended up having to replace my battery, amp, and my battery harness? That was the last time i took my car to the dealership.... :rant2: It about cost me a fortune. I kept that amp for a little while and with my subs on it would pull my gauge down 1notch under half while i was driving, but i found that the blower takes just about as much power and if I'd turn it off I'd be fine, but i prefer to be comfortable vs my subs any day, so my system sat in my garage for a while till i got a class d amp and now it doesn't mess with my meter at all. I guess what I'm trying to say is good luck:thumbsup:. I know the service reps at our Cadillac dealership (I've convinced several people to get Cadillacs vs Lexus n Bmw's n all that fun stuff) so i can usually get away with a free inspection, but if you dealership doesn't charge or they're cheap enough i'd get an inspection there, just don't pay them a big bill to fix it like i did :thepan: But i was told the harness runs through the whole car like the ones in mercases', so if you're uncomfortable witd somthing like that I might take it to someone who's worked on fancy cars before. Hope some part of this might help you. Good luck, Luke.

satse
02-22-08, 12:33 PM
Well I removed the alternator...man what a pain...had it tested and it passed????? So now i'm back to square one. Oh and by the way...who the hell made it so you had to tear apart the whole front of the engine just to change the accessory belt. So i'm thinking of trying one of my Optima red top batteries on it just for grins and see if the battery really is dead. Wish me luck.

kevin

Have you checked for a warm/hot positive cable terminal connecting to the battery?