: Ignition Coil Replacement

Hyespy007
02-17-08, 06:04 PM
First off I got the check engine light and diagnosed it to find out that it is the 1st cylinder that is misfiring. So my mechanic took a look and said it is most likely the ignition coil. Now i purchased the coil but have no idea how to install it. It seems easier from the bottom but there is very little room to work from either way. Can anyone please give me directions on how to change this thing?? or if there is a guide book you can tell me where to find it.

elvin315
02-17-08, 06:52 PM
You have to tell us more, like what year is your Catera?

Elvin

Hyespy007
02-17-08, 07:50 PM
It is a 97 and the diagnostic code is P0301 for the misfiring cylinder.

Boris
02-17-08, 10:37 PM
The coil pack is behind the drivers side head right under the rear engine lift loop and a whole bunch of wires.
It's screwed down with 4 M12 (I think) bolts and has one electrical connection going to it.

Are you sure it's the coil and not the wires or a spark plug ?
I always like to start with the easy stuff first.

frank moran
02-17-08, 10:55 PM
The coil pack is behind the drivers side head right under the rear engine lift loop and a whole bunch of wires.
It's screwed down with 4 M12 (I think) bolts and has one electrical connection going to it.

Are you sure it's the coil and not the wires or a spark plug ?
I always like to start with the easy stuff first.

007 Your getting excellent advice, follow it. Change the plug first.... ohm the wire out if that does not correct it, it's a good bet you have an injector problem. Are there any other symptoms with the misfire.?

Po Pimp
02-17-08, 11:00 PM
The first step is to remove both windshield wipers. There is a nut hidden under each of the beauty caps. You can pry off the beauty cap with a thin flat bladed screw driver or something like a putty knife. Remove the nuts. The windshield wipers may not want to come off. Shut the hood pull them to the up position in relation to the window and then bend them away from window on the pivot point. Now just work them back and forth at the base, they will come off quick.

Then you can remove the scuttle pad. This is the black plastic piece underneath the windshield wipers. This is actually two pieces. There are two visible bolts that hold these down. One on each side of the car near where the hood shock connects to the fenders. Now there are more clips that secure these two pieces but they are hidden underneath the weather striping for the front window. Just barely pull it back and you will see them. Some models may differ but with mine you could just use a screw driver. You only have to turn them a quarter turn and they will pop out.

Unhook the negative terminal on the battery. May want to do that first.

If you lean over the passanger fender you should be able to see one of the back bolts that secure the coil pack down. Remove all the plug wires, if you have to you can take a piece of tape and mark them some way that makes sense to you so you can install them in the same order. I think it is like a 1/4", I really can not remember off the top of my head. Remove the bolts there should be four. You can use the new coil pack to see where they are. You can remove the coil pack itself from the passanger side or at least I did and install it the same way.

I have heard some people talk about removing the wiring harness cover that runs over the driver's side cam cover. Kind of a pain in the butt not to take off but to get all those wires back in it gently without hurting anything. I personally would suggest that you change the wires at this time. My car threw up a P0301, changed the coil, drove it awhile and then got P0304, ended up changing the wires to cure the problem.

If you do decide to change your wires follow these steps. If you look at the this cover over the driver's side cam cover you will see that there are three connectors that run out of the front (in relation to the engine) disconnect all of these if necessary mark them with tape so you remember where they go. Now look at top of the intake. On the driver's side you will see the IAC. There is a tube that runs from it to the driver's side intake tube. Remove the wiring connect that connects to it. Remove it. Then remove the IAC there are two hex heads that secure it. Becareful when you seperate it from the intake. As long as you do not hurt the gasket it can be reused. Now on the black wiring cover you can seperate it into two pieces. The top portion will come off with a little bit of prying. If you look it over you can see where it connects. Now the bottom portion is secured to the intake with two bolts remove them. If you stick your hand underneath it you will feel a coolant hose that is connected to the bottom. If you pull it softly towards the driver's side fender it will unhook. Now the tricky part of lifting the wires slightly and pulling out the under portion of the wiring cover. I pull it out slightly tilt up, pulling it towards the bumper. The wires are easily connect after all this is out of your way.

I hope all of this made sense. Sorry if I rambled.

Po Pimp
02-17-08, 11:29 PM
I guess I should mention that if the battery is unhooked you will have to relearn the idle. Turn the key into the on position but not on for at least three minutes. This triggers it to relearn.

Hyespy007
02-19-08, 06:35 PM
Wow thank you so much guys. I have actually changed the spark plugs and the wires when i first got the check engine. The idle is pretty bad and the engine runs weak and shaky. That is what led me to believe it was the coil because my mechanic took a look and there was no spark going to the first wire.

Hyespy007
02-20-08, 08:44 PM
So it has to be from the ignition coil then right? Hey Po Pimp thanks for the help bro I just haven't had the time to install the new coil. How long should it take me to replace it on the average?