: 96 deville egr valve cleaning

dadillac27
02-17-08, 04:11 PM
I am in the process of trying to clean the egr valve on my dads 96 deville. I got the first bolt off but the second is just a nut and the egr wont move. There is still a stud sticking up. Do i have to take this stud out for egr removal? Please help!!!! By the way i have read every thread i could on this and have not seen anything on this.

dadillac27
02-17-08, 04:15 PM
how do i remove the fuel rail to get the bracket off the stud

Submariner409
02-17-08, 04:39 PM
Should be 4 nuts holding the entire rail down (One on EGR stud ?) Lift the rail and all injectors straight up. Should be a hex on the EGR stud. (96 might be a bit different from '02, plastic rail instead of steel..recall?) Oil the injector O-rings before pushing back into the holes........

dadillac27
02-17-08, 04:45 PM
thanks buddy...i just got it off without having to remove fuel rail. I just needed a third hand....im working on that....lol. Im gonna clean it and put it back on and ill let ya know if it fixes the problem.

Ranger
02-17-08, 05:17 PM
You got the stud off without removing the rail? :shocked2: How'd you do that?

Tonkin
02-17-08, 10:48 PM
I did the same thing on my 96 with a steel fuel rail. Pried it up very carefully with third hand, (daughter) and using a handmade open wrench backed the stud out. That was before I found out removing the fuel rail is not a big deal. Was scared to death I was going to break something. The steel fuel rail recall really obsoleted the shop manuals on how to replace the EGR valve. But then I found this site!!

krimson_cardnal
02-18-08, 04:27 PM
I did the same thing, basically. Ended up bending the rail tab a bit to get at the EGR nut. Would like to hear if cleaning it ended problem, if you had a problem to begin with. Were you getting a DIC or codes or just routine maintenance?? K_C