: Gold vs. Silver On Northstar? Huh?

Chuck C
05-22-03, 11:42 PM
Sometimes this lettered piece on on the engine cover is gold:

http://carad0.ipixmedia.com/abc/carad/9684567x679561/679561-04262003174940-12_L.JPG

mine is all silver sorta like this:

http://images.andale.com/f2/101/126/10864958/1051840858338_mocha_7.JPG

now I thought this was the difference between the 275 hp and 300hp, but this guys' eldo on ebay is clearly a touring coupe, yet is has the gold on the engine. you guys know what im talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6147&item=2416451102

Night Wolf
05-23-03, 12:08 AM
maybe it goes along with the gold package of the car?

I noticed that too (ugly to me) maybe it was on certain years?

off-topic question, what does the gold badge package do besides be gold instead of silver? I know it is alot more money etc... my moms '89 Brougham has it (along wwith a fancy grill) and my car has it too..... I perosnally like silver over gold, hopefully it'll grow on me.... in some cases I think it looks alittle tacky, but is there any real purpose to it?

elwesso
05-23-03, 12:13 AM
Actually the gold package has some other things.... You get gold keys (all keys i believe), (i dont know) road side assistance for as long as you own it, and there are some various interior nick-nacks also.

Ralph
05-23-03, 02:10 AM
When my dad bought my 1991 new, it did not come with the "gold package" but he wanted it from the dealer so they gave him the 23k hood ornament, along with the rear "Cadillac" and "4.9 port fuel injection V8" plaque, all in gold of course. The keys were plated that year even without the gold package.(for the Fleetwood anyway) However the "sail panal" or "C" pillar did not come from the factory in gold, they are silver, and as far as I know THAT is how you can distinguish a "factory equipt" gold package car from a dealer installed.

Night Wolf
05-23-03, 04:53 PM
wait, you mean the gold badge package.... is real gold? I thought they were just plated

yeah, also the keys were plated gold

I never heard about the unlimited roadside though..... is that only for the origanal owner? - I know on my moms '89 Brougham in the glove box it has a Cadillac roadside and 800 number sticker in it.

Although her car, has all gold emblems, a real fancy front grill, but on the back says "Custom gold edition by Bayview Cadillac" --- so I take it Bayview Cadillac was the dealer? (in Florida) but EVERY emblem is gold......

.....are they really real, solid gold though?

AKPsiMC03
05-23-03, 04:57 PM
the gold keys also meant when you brought your caddy in for warrenty work they would give you a caddy loaner to drive.

elwesso
05-23-03, 05:26 PM
I think it is as long as you own your car. And yes, they are gold plated, because on our Fleetwood they are starting to fade a wee.

Also, it included gold wreaths around the key holes. The grilles are the same.

Ralph
05-24-03, 03:30 AM
Yeah, they are 23k gold BUT they are just plated, otherwise the hood ornament alone might be worth 2,000 dollars. (wish mine was!) You are right about the interior "knick-knacs" Wes, I forgot to mention that if mine was equipt with the gold package or gold badge package FROM the factory, it would have the "Cadillac" plaque above the glove box in gold and not the silver that mine is.

elwesso
05-25-03, 01:16 AM
Really..... I think ours in in silver. Maybe it was different in your FW. I know we got our gold package from the factory, though.....