: 1993 - 1995 Northstar Chip Mods

Allante North *
05-22-03, 09:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone with the above year models used a chip on their Northstar. If so, please share your experience and what type of chip you installed and the cost. Would you do it again?

I read a post on another board from a GM engineer that said chips don't make HP, the Northstar is designed to deliver max performance at full throttle. His advice was to just nail it. I am considering a chip and want to hear from those that already have one.

Thanks,

Don

elwesso
05-22-03, 11:19 PM
Apparently they do something, otherwise people wouldnt buy them... "a GM engineer that said chips don't make HP, the Northstar is designed to deliver max performance at full throttle". Correct me if wrong, but maybe chips are designed to help produce more HP up to full throttle. It may richen the mixture and change the shift patterns a little.

timber6860
05-25-03, 02:08 PM
From what I've been hearing is that the main advantage for the chip is to over-ride the speed limiter. Some cars are set to cut off fuel when you hit a certain speed (I think 112 MPH) if you don't have tires rated to go faster.

elwesso
05-25-03, 03:04 PM
Yes they do that (on OBDI they completely elimate speed limiters), but they also have a more tuned power curve (increased compression ratio, thats why the say you have to use premium; i think they may richen the mixture also)

ljklaiber
05-26-03, 08:22 PM
Maybe my old 95 seville has a chip. it sure gets beyond 112mph.Pulls hard to 6600RPM. Also seems to like remote oil filter and cooler...Coolant temp has dropped 6 degrees and since I live in Georgia and it gets hot as hell in the summer, I thought I'd tryit. Cad uses same oil filter as some of the Fords and remote kits are easy to find, except for the plumbing. Not much room in the old cad to place the oilcooler. I got mine HZ..with a lip baffle. seems OK so far. Using a Wix51522 filter and seeing 196 coolant temp on highway. Car strolls on the interstate.

teddy124
06-05-03, 12:25 AM
I have a 94 sts, I put k&n filter, full cat back 3" bora exhast.... but the most HP gain came for the superchips, chip. it was outstanding. It is a must , and low $$$$

jert
06-18-03, 12:41 AM
Ewesso is on the right track on chips ... what it does is fool the pcm in the temp on the air intake to be cooler and the pcm sends more fuel and the mix is richer thus more power through a thru the rise in RPMs

elwesso
06-18-03, 04:16 PM
Im not sure how it does it, but it have to would increase the compression ratio-- The computer has full control over when the spark plug ignites.... So with a revised chip it could wait until the last possible moment to ignite before a "knock" would occur.. Thats why they say to use premium... The stock chips are designed to work BEST with premium, but will work on regular..... The performance are DESIGNED to use with premium.....

I dont think it would richen much, since it runs full rich when the pedal is pressed all the way to the floor anyway......

chrisngrod
06-18-03, 06:41 PM
They actually lean the mixture because I asked them why I didn't feel any gains... their reply

"It is all about fuel. Our standard program leans out the fuel mixture. If you add other mod's that lean out the mixture, then you could be too lean. What are your other modifications?
Thanks for your interest in Superchips Products
If you have any questions please call
1/888-227-2447 or 1/407-547-0130 "