: 300k

Crown Vic Owner
02-15-08, 02:26 PM
WOOT
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1816/300000milesc4b4f6dtr3.jpg

Jason, wanna talk more shit about my vic?

gary88
02-15-08, 02:39 PM
I'm sure he does lol

SvB4EvA
02-15-08, 04:59 PM
300k is quite impressive. I have not gotten even close with any of my cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-08, 05:24 PM
Wow.

Night Wolf
02-15-08, 05:34 PM
Nice!

My Town Car is just over 1/3 the way there :) I woudln't mind driving it that distance... in fact the idea of having a high mileage car like that is cool to me, the Town Car seems to be a good start :) Highest mileage car I've ever had would be 135k.... which would actually be what I sold my Oldsmobile with, and what the Isuzu has on it at the time the headgasket went.

Original engine/trans?

eldorado99
02-15-08, 05:34 PM
With proper maintenance it seems fairly common for those Crown Vics to reach even 450K.

Night Wolf
02-15-08, 05:39 PM
Ever Vic taxi I've been in had 250k+ if not 300k, and was an ex-cop car. Talk about a hard life.

Kinda my inspiration for the Town Car... basically a glorified Vic. Although my car had quite a bit of issues when I first got it, due to previous owners neglect (let problems stockpile) and a couple hiccups right now, but other then that, she should be set. Underbody/body is totally rust free, so thats a big releif, as being from NY, that is what ultimately determined the life of a car.

On the old computer I had 3 pictures of a '98 Town Car that had 857k (IIRC) it wasn't a stretch, but it was used for limo/livery service.... pretty awesome IMO!

Jesda
02-15-08, 05:45 PM
Nice! Ford V8s rule.

gothicaleigh
02-15-08, 08:24 PM
Why would you brag that you've driven a Crown Vic for over 300k miles? A couple trips to town would have been enough to last me a lifetime. :leaving:

Crown Vic Owner
02-15-08, 08:41 PM
Nice!

My Town Car is just over 1/3 the way there :) I woudln't mind driving it that distance... in fact the idea of having a high mileage car like that is cool to me, the Town Car seems to be a good start :) Highest mileage car I've ever had would be 135k.... which would actually be what I sold my Oldsmobile with, and what the Isuzu has on it at the time the headgasket went.

Original engine/trans?

Yep, at least on this one.

And to you above me, my CV gets better MPG than my caddy (34mpg highway (no i am not kidding)), is more fun (rwd), can fit more people than a caddy, can fit ME better (ask anyone from chitown meet, im huge), and most of all, it can fit me better.

Honestly, i dont think the northstar is THAT reliable. Also consider, parts are a dime a dozen for these cars, i get a MUCH better ride, and most of all, i pay 2 dollars a month more for insurance on that car to have it added on.

gothicaleigh
02-15-08, 08:43 PM
Yep, at least on this one.

And to you above me, my CV gets better MPG than my caddy (34mpg highway (no i am not kidding)), is more fun (rwd), can fit more people than a caddy, can fit ME better (ask anyone from chitown meet, im huge), and most of all, it can fit me better.

Honestly, i dont think the northstar is THAT reliable. Also consider, parts are a dime a dozen for these cars, i get a MUCH better ride, and most of all, i pay 2 dollars a month more for insurance on that car to have it added on.

You convinced me. 3 trips to town before I look for the nearest dealer lot. :yawn:

Crown Vic Owner
02-15-08, 08:45 PM
You convinced me. 3 trips to town. :yawn:

Hey, when your northstar pulls its heads out in the middle of the freeway, i will make sure NOT to stop for you.

gary88
02-15-08, 09:02 PM
Good luck trying to convince a Cadillac board to fall in love with a Crown Vic :bouncy:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-08, 09:38 PM
I can barely get it up for a Town Car, much less a plebeian Crown Vic!

Rolex
02-15-08, 09:45 PM
Hey, when your northstar pulls its heads out in the middle of the freeway, i will make sure NOT to stop for you.

You won't find any Cadillac fleet vehicles. Nuff said IMO.

Crown Vic Owner
02-15-08, 10:35 PM
Good luck trying to convince a Cadillac board to fall in love with a Crown Vic :bouncy:

im not

im just sick of hearing shit about owning a CV.

Please, we dont diss you caddy owners

Destroyer
02-16-08, 12:00 AM
im not

im just sick of hearing shit about owning a CV.

Please, we dont diss you caddy ownersYou are right, nobody should be insulting you for driving a Crown Vic. Its a damn fine car and infinately more reliable than a FWD N* powered car. It just dont look as good or go as fast but whatever. You actually CAN modify your car to outhandle, out accelerate and out do any Caddy. All the N* owners get is a Corsa plus the infamous "AJ tune" unless the "spoiled brat" tampers with it. :shhh:

AJxtcman
02-16-08, 12:13 AM
unless the "spoiled brat" tampers with it. :shhh:

Life has been good. We don't have an 18 year old hitting others in our house.

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 12:22 AM
Life has been good. We don't have an 18 year old hitting others in our house.

lol

AJ, you can always adopt me and my SLTS whatever it is.

That reminds me, i gotta get the ID numbers off of that dang engine
And change the rad hose that i sorta made a tiny tear in.

God, my OTHER vic (the one you chicago peeps have seen) has the following waiting to be put on

Tune by lonnie at BOC
Marauder rear swaybar
Billstien front and rear shocks
Team Taxi front suspension kit (pitman, idler, B/Js)
Poly uca and lca bushings
EBC brakes (have a set for the cadillac around here, SOMEWHERE)
Marauder airbox and MAF
Steeda underdrives
Jmod (already done)
High flow radiator (installed)
huge trans cooler
uhaul trans pan (dont laugh, its WAY deeper and better)
and some other stuff that i dont feel like listing

Rolex
02-16-08, 12:25 AM
I'm never surprised but sometimes amazed at the agenda people come here with. I've asked before, why come to a forum full of Cadillac lovers to bash on GM or Cadillac? I should also ask, why come here to push a Ford on Cadillac and GM lovers? And why would you be surprised when people here give you flak over it?

BTW congratulations on hitting 300k. I celebrate the victory with you. :cheers:

Mark0101
02-16-08, 01:06 AM
Even though I don't own a caddy but own four Lincolns, I like listening to Cadillac stories. I love hearing about the Seville/Eldo but would never own one. Its a car you can admire but can't own it (I know people here think differently then me but thats their opinion).

again it doesn't say anything about owning a caddy to join a website, I joined because I like Cadillac's.

BTW good job hitting 300K
My higest car mileage right now is 170K, so I still have another 130K to catch you up.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-16-08, 01:26 AM
seeing 300k plus cars at work is nothing new ...neither are the cars ....lol ....volvo quit making good cars awhile ago ....

Night Wolf
02-16-08, 08:46 AM
heh, eh, the regular Crown Vic may be a "boring" sedan, but for its intended purpose, it's a pretty darn good car. But, to me, a Caprice would be equally "bland". Being a cop car, then sold to taxi companies is one of the hardest things a car can be put thru. Usually they are sold after that too, in NY the taxi driver told me that he bought an ex-taxi (that was an ex-cop car) that had 320k on it for $800, they resprayed it and it now has 400k on it (now his personal car)

Folks here are quick to point out the seemingly low power output of the 4.6 OHC, saying V6's produce as much power (not in this thread) but there is a certain reliability factor that comes from a larger engine producing less power. To me, the engine power is more then adequate. It is very quiet and super smooth, not too hard to work on either. The biggest problem with the engine itself is valve steam seals.... causes them to burn oil, but even in that case, if the oil level is monitored and topped off, it'll run indefinitly like that. Lower on HP, but its got a good bit of torque to it... all in all, its a fine engine for the cars they were/are put in, and the engine today is still pretty much the same exact engine it was in 1990, except for the 1998 heads/intake update and switch to coil on plug ignition.

My gas mileage is no where near 34mpg highway, thats the one thing that did disapoint me about the car, but I am no longer concerned about it. It runs on 87 octane, I drive it with a heavy foot at times, plus my car has 3.27 gears vs standard 3.08. I average 18mpg going to work/town driving and 24/25mpg on the highway.

With the awesome track record of the Panther chassis, I'm glad to put the miles on my Town Car.

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 10:16 AM
Yeah, plus when they are modded, they are still reliable as a rock.

I PERSONALLY have 2.73 rear gears.

Also, the heads came in 01, not 98, 96-98 got the new style intake and plenium and non crappy valve seals, 98 got Coil On Plug, 01 got PI heads and intake.

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 10:27 AM
You won't find any Cadillac fleet vehicles. Nuff said IMO.

Yeah, actually, i can spot 3 DTS cabs and MANY deville limos. A seville seems to be a popular rental car here.

Also, im just sick of the bashing, alot of people post about there cars here. I never really said that my car is superior to my seville, AT ALL.

Jesda
02-16-08, 10:38 AM
I am superior to a Seville.

Whatever that means.

http://www.q45.org/uploads/The_More_You_Know.jpg

Night Wolf
02-16-08, 10:39 AM
2.73 gears? That would explain your mileage. I guess the Vic's got the higher gearing.... base gears in TC are 3.08, with the 3.27 being reserved for the "Ride Control Package" and 3.55 for towing package, Atleast '90-'97 generation.

Ah yes, you are right, the PI heads were '01... I was thinking of the updated intake in '98.

My car already had the newer intake manifold on it when I bought it, that and the air springs look like they've been replaced, or are very good originals as there are no cracks. That helped sell me on the car.

Valve steam seals, I don't know if mine are going bad or not. I use Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-30 oil, I do 5,000 mile oil changes. There is NO smoke at all from the tail pipe/back of the car, and NO oil leaks at all either, yet she'll use 1-2 quarts between changes, I just check it weekly or bi-weekly, and it dosn't bother me at all, adding oil is good. So I don't know if the enigne is "using" the oil, or if it is burning off, because I've heard synthetic oil burns clear, don't know how true it is though. Both times I've changed the plugs in it however, there was NO oil residue at all, and they were buring about as perfect as they could. Like I said, I don't mind adding the oil, but if the consumption got worse, or I see it burning, then it's time to replace the valve steam seals. Folks have said they had the same thing as me, oil consumption with no visible smoke, and they changed the seals anyway and it nearly eliminated the oil consumption. But, I'm not that worried about it. I'll fix it if it gets worse (some time way off in the future) but since I've owned it, its hasen't changed.

It's nice to know that any performance part for a Mustang GT will fit the Town Car, but at the same time there are no easy bolt on mods that make a noticeable difference. If I was to do anything with it, I would swap in PI heads and intake, and some mild cams, couple other basic things..... but even then, that would be around $1,200-$1,500, for not a substantial amount of power (maybe 50hp total?), but most of all, if my engine is running really good and no problems, I'd really hate to open it up and tear it apart... I dunno, but after going thru that with the Isuzu (tho the h/g went) its just more work then I would want to do right now, and if it isn't broke, I don't see a reason for changing it. On top of that, I'd hate to possibly shorten the life of my trans by putting more power thru it. If there is something major that is going to fail on my car in the future, it'll probably be the trans, as they seem the weakest link.... not that the 4R70W is a weak trans tho.

My car does have the factory true dual exhaust (standard in '96) which adds 20hp and 5ft-lbs torque to the otherwise single exhaust. It's a pretty nice setup actually. Plus I've got the slightly lower gearing, so she moves quite well. It'll spin the grippy Good Years from a stop any time, but my days of doing that are far and few between... don't wanna burn off the tires :) Still, if its raining, and the right song comes on the radio, I can't help but get it sideways now and then :) I don't like doing it dry, cause again, the tires. But, 210hp/275ft-lbs torque is plenty... I've really mellowed out from when I was 16 with the '93 Coupe DeVille :)

Oh yeah, can't forget my K&N drop in panel filter, thats good for ATLEAST 15HP.... actually, I put the sticker in the engine bay, so that'll raise it a solid 20HP! lol... nah, Advance had 25% off filters, even K&N, the regular fitler was gonna be like $8, the K&N was $30... didn't take alot of brains to figure that one out. Plus I still have the cleaning/re-oil kit from the K&N on my Coupe DeVille..... did it make a difference? It's a drop in air filter, I didn't notice anything, in the least, I got it so I can clean it over and over :)

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 11:34 AM
2.73 gears? That would explain your mileage. I guess the Vic's got the higher gearing.... base gears in TC are 3.08, with the 3.27 being reserved for the "Ride Control Package" and 3.55 for towing package, Atleast '90-'97 generation.

Ah yes, you are right, the PI heads were '01... I was thinking of the updated intake in '98.

My car already had the newer intake manifold on it when I bought it, that and the air springs look like they've been replaced, or are very good originals as there are no cracks. That helped sell me on the car.

Valve steam seals, I don't know if mine are going bad or not. I use Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-30 oil, I do 5,000 mile oil changes. There is NO smoke at all from the tail pipe/back of the car, and NO oil leaks at all either, yet she'll use 1-2 quarts between changes, I just check it weekly or bi-weekly, and it dosn't bother me at all, adding oil is good. So I don't know if the enigne is "using" the oil, or if it is burning off, because I've heard synthetic oil burns clear, don't know how true it is though. Both times I've changed the plugs in it however, there was NO oil residue at all, and they were buring about as perfect as they could. Like I said, I don't mind adding the oil, but if the consumption got worse, or I see it burning, then it's time to replace the valve steam seals. Folks have said they had the same thing as me, oil consumption with no visible smoke, and they changed the seals anyway and it nearly eliminated the oil consumption. But, I'm not that worried about it. I'll fix it if it gets worse (some time way off in the future) but since I've owned it, its hasen't changed.

It's nice to know that any performance part for a Mustang GT will fit the Town Car, but at the same time there are no easy bolt on mods that make a noticeable difference. If I was to do anything with it, I would swap in PI heads and intake, and some mild cams, couple other basic things..... but even then, that would be around $1,200-$1,500, for not a substantial amount of power (maybe 50hp total?), but most of all, if my engine is running really good and no problems, I'd really hate to open it up and tear it apart... I dunno, but after going thru that with the Isuzu (tho the h/g went) its just more work then I would want to do right now, and if it isn't broke, I don't see a reason for changing it. On top of that, I'd hate to possibly shorten the life of my trans by putting more power thru it. If there is something major that is going to fail on my car in the future, it'll probably be the trans, as they seem the weakest link.... not that the 4R70W is a weak trans tho.

My car does have the factory true dual exhaust (standard in '96) which adds 20hp and 5ft-lbs torque to the otherwise single exhaust. It's a pretty nice setup actually. Plus I've got the slightly lower gearing, so she moves quite well. It'll spin the grippy Good Years from a stop any time, but my days of doing that are far and few between... don't wanna burn off the tires :) Still, if its raining, and the right song comes on the radio, I can't help but get it sideways now and then :) I don't like doing it dry, cause again, the tires. But, 210hp/275ft-lbs torque is plenty... I've really mellowed out from when I was 16 with the '93 Coupe DeVille :)

Oh yeah, can't forget my K&N drop in panel filter, thats good for ATLEAST 15HP.... actually, I put the sticker in the engine bay, so that'll raise it a solid 20HP! lol... nah, Advance had 25% off filters, even K&N, the regular fitler was gonna be like $8, the K&N was $30... didn't take alot of brains to figure that one out. Plus I still have the cleaning/re-oil kit from the K&N on my Coupe DeVille..... did it make a difference? It's a drop in air filter, I didn't notice anything, in the least, I got it so I can clean it over and over :)

Start changing your oil sooner IMO, and also, when was the last time the plugs were pulled. I DO have bad valve seals in my cars, but i am not concerned, i just keep changing the plugs often. They are about 99% sure to fail in one of these motors. The valve seal job isnt that hard, its just time consuming.

Id get them changed if they start burning. IIRC, you have a 96, so you dont have the bad valve seals.

Mind you, my vic takes abuse most cop cars dont see (its been off all 4 wheels at 60mph).

I cant say anything bad about them, but lets admit it, the seville would probobly land and fall in 2 peices after that jump (crumple zones FTL)

Also, intake was NOT updated in 98, it was 00-01 for the PI intake. a 96 intake is the same as a 98.

AMGoff
02-16-08, 01:54 PM
In this day and age of cars being seen as consumer expendables, 300K is impressive no matter which way you cut it.

I've only ever done it in an old Cherokee 4.0L, and it is quite an accomplishment.

Kudos!

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 03:48 PM
Thanks.

I agree, this car still has a ton of life left in it too.

MN-STS-LOVER
02-16-08, 04:26 PM
Kudos on the miles! For me though I could never own one. My Mom and Step Dad have a Grand Marquis and I can barely stand to look at the thing let alone drive it. The are just so boring, sleepy and plain! It does get better milage but is so unresponsive. It has that big floaty ride and if that does it for you, more power to you! I prefer to feel the road a little bit. Comparing it to my Seville is like driving an air craft carrier vs. a PT boat.

I will give it up to the reliability factor though. So again...kudos on the milestone!

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 07:03 PM
Kudos on the miles! For me though I could never own one. My Mom and Step Dad have a Grand Marquis and I can barely stand to look at the thing let alone drive it. The are just so boring, sleepy and plain! It does get better milage but is so unresponsive. It has that big floaty ride and if that does it for you, more power to you! I prefer to feel the road a little bit. Comparing it to my Seville is like driving an air craft carrier vs. a PT boat.

I will give it up to the reliability factor though. So again...kudos on the milestone!
my CV isnt floaty, GMQs are really floaty compared to crown vics.

Night Wolf
02-16-08, 07:53 PM
Start changing your oil sooner IMO, and also, when was the last time the plugs were pulled. I DO have bad valve seals in my cars, but i am not concerned, i just keep changing the plugs often. They are about 99% sure to fail in one of these motors. The valve seal job isnt that hard, its just time consuming.

Id get them changed if they start burning. IIRC, you have a 96, so you dont have the bad valve seals.

Mind you, my vic takes abuse most cop cars dont see (its been off all 4 wheels at 60mph).

I cant say anything bad about them, but lets admit it, the seville would probobly land and fall in 2 peices after that jump (crumple zones FTL)

Also, intake was NOT updated in 98, it was 00-01 for the PI intake. a 96 intake is the same as a 98.

eh, 5k miles is fine between changes.... I think I did it 4k the last time, but it used to just be a highway car getting 1,000 miles/weekend on it. 4-5k is my norm.

I dunno I did the plugs several onths back. I changed them when I first got the car with Motorcraft fine wire platinum, then everyone told me that if I switched to standard Autolite copper it'd run better and get better mileage, so I did... I don't know if I really noticed a difference.

I guess I'm all mixed up on my years... ah well.

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 08:06 PM
eh, 5k miles is fine between changes.... I think I did it 4k the last time, but it used to just be a highway car getting 1,000 miles/weekend on it. 4-5k is my norm.

I dunno I did the plugs several onths back. I changed them when I first got the car with Motorcraft fine wire platinum, then everyone told me that if I switched to standard Autolite copper it'd run better and get better mileage, so I did... I don't know if I really noticed a difference.

I guess I'm all mixed up on my years... ah well.

meh, i am a 2k miles man myself.

Than again, i run my car like a race car

MN-STS-LOVER
02-16-08, 08:21 PM
my CV isnt floaty, GMQs are really floaty compared to crown vics.

I think you miss my point. I get a sweet ride (after all it is a Caddy) but I get much more driver input through the chassis. I can actually feel what the car is doing and have a much better grip on the road.

Crown Vic Owner
02-16-08, 11:34 PM
I think you miss my point. I get a sweet ride (after all it is a Caddy) but I get much more driver input through the chassis. I can actually feel what the car is doing and have a much better grip on the road.

its vise versa for me. My caddy does not even feel as if connected to the wheels at times.

gary88
02-16-08, 11:57 PM
I'm sure the STS is a somewhat better, but my SLS has so much play in the wheel and body roll it's crazy.

Crown Vic Owner
02-17-08, 12:52 AM
my SLS has NO play gary, its has very little body roll.

Than again, my SLS is not normal.

JC316
02-17-08, 12:59 AM
I'm sure the STS is a somewhat better, but my SLS has so much play in the wheel and body roll it's crazy.

Get a strut brace from GMparts direct, it made a world of difference for my 98 SLS.

Corwn Vic, that is great hitting 300k. My Mom has a 90 Towncar 5.0, it has 189K on it and still going strong. The Crown Vic platform is probably the most relaible ever built, except for the transmission.

Crown Vic Owner
02-17-08, 01:05 AM
Get a strut brace from GMparts direct, it made a world of difference for my 98 SLS.

Corwn Vic, that is great hitting 300k. My Mom has a 90 Towncar 5.0, it has 189K on it and still going strong. The Crown Vic platform is probably the most relaible ever built, except for the transmission.

Keep the fluid changed in the transmissions every 5 oil changes and you should be fine.

gary88
02-17-08, 02:08 AM
I bought the strut brace shortly after I got my car. It definitely made a difference, but I still don't feel confident taking my car through the bendies with speed.

Crown Vic Owner
02-17-08, 02:27 AM
that reminds me, i need to install mine

JC316
02-17-08, 03:40 AM
Keep the fluid changed in the transmissions every 5 oil changes and you should be fine.

That will work on the newer ones, post 97, but the earlier 4R70W suffer from the 1-2 accumulator spring breaking and it can lead to death. Don't even get me started on the older AODE Towncar tranny.

Night Wolf
02-17-08, 07:32 AM
That will work on the newer ones, post 97, but the earlier 4R70W suffer from the 1-2 accumulator spring breaking and it can lead to death. Don't even get me started on the older AODE Towncar tranny.

It seems like the biggest problem with the AODE is the TV cable bushing going bad, that'll cause problems.

the 1-2 accumulator is cake... about $50 in parts and not much extra work if the pan is already off for fluid/filter change. It wasn't the spring breaking, but the old piston was made out of aluminum? it would scuff the cylinder walls, the new one is steel (or did I get that backwords?) and solves the problem.

I replaced mine, it dramatically improved the 1-2 shift.

The first time I did a fluid/filter change I flushed it out via the trans cooler method, 2nd time I just dropped the pan. Once things here settle down and I can give the car attention again, I want to drop the pan and drain the torque converter, and service the entire trans up with Mercon V, right now it has regular Mercon. Ford put a bulletin out for all 4R70W, Apparently the Mercon V (just synthetic, from what I understand) is much better for the trans.

I'd also like to add an aux trans cooler. I pulled one off a '95 Town Car in the junkyard that had the towing package, but I may get an aftermarket (bigger) one.... and I'd probably also add a remote trans oil filter, the screw on type, it's only like $30 or so.

My Town Car has 107,3xx miles on it now, I bought it with 93,8xx, most of the use so far was strict highway driving, but now its the daily driver, atleast until I get the Isuzu going again, which could probably be a very long time. Still though, since I've been using the car as a DD, I've grown to apperciate it more and more, I like it alot. But, hopefully I wont run into any trans problems, and with the future "upgrades" for it, it should extend the life as much as possible. I also want to replace the OSS sensor, seems to be pretty easy, right on the side of the trans and only $30 from the dealer (someone said $15 online).

Only real problem my car has right now is that the front rotors are warped, I'm waiting until I have spare time (and cash) to do the "big brake upgrade" which is the '98+ Town Car dual piston calipurs and 12" rotors, along with new pads, and then new rear pads too. Just started recently, but the ABS pump likes to go on by itself now, even when the brakes aren't applied... more annoying then anything else, I think one of the wheel sensors or connections is bad or damaged or something... I just haven't got a chance to look at it at all. Other then that, I'm very happy to have it as my daily driver.

Heh, I just got done moving from the old house to the new house.... I removed the full size spare tire, my gosh its amazing what that trunk will swallow! It's by far the biggest trunk of any car I've ever had, let alone seen, super deep, and hold so much normally, but when the tire is removed, you can just stock pile things up to the top, and it opens up the whole shelf. It's seriously a big trunk. I heard that it changed alot in '98, its only like 1 cubic foot smaller, but the whole shape and design really makes it not as usefull... but man, I was putting entire end tables, my stereo stand, large plastic tote containers (the under bed style) and just boxes and boxes of stuff... it was pretty cool.

caddycruiser
02-17-08, 10:02 PM
Hah, congrats!

Not uncommon, but always great to see another car hit such a milestone.

Dad's '92 Roadmaster finally rolled the 200k mark and is still a beast, but definitely is feeling and looking more like at least some of the miles now. Maintenance is the key, as he's religious with oil changes...but leaves everything else to the "not until it explodes...and even then maybe some goop will fix it" extreme.

Like others have said, there's a boat load of CV's out there as taxi's that were also ex cop cars with similar mileage and not an issue. I think the last one I rode in was a "fresh" one, with 135k on it--big, heavy car, but felt very solid & smooth.

There was a great story somewhere about a taxi company that gets their cars as ex police cruisers, and detailed their specific maintenance methods of the CV vs. some newer Impalas and Intrepids they've also tried. Suffice it to say, the Intrepids were the least durable with the Impalas a close second...but the CV's got next to no extra maintenance, and had their strongest record of proven durability. Even talked about how they found never changing transmission fluid, for instance, was perfectly fine and they'd go multiple 100k's like that.

dkozloski
02-17-08, 10:23 PM
You could call a Crown Vic a Monk car. It's both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing to last as long as it does but it's a curse that it doesn't give you a reason to get rid of the POS.

Crown Vic Owner
02-17-08, 10:25 PM
meh, OTOH, the old transmissons do have that spring issue, its the post 93s that have no issues, 92s and earlier have the issues. 92s had the bastardblock.

Koz, im damn fat for the SLTLS seville and i barely fit and also too tall, the crown vic suits me perfectly. The towncar interior going in it will add to my driving experience.

Submariner409
02-17-08, 10:37 PM
By your own admission, at 16 y/o, if you're too fat to fit in a Seville series you have a serious health problem, and I resent my tax dollars going to support your eventual heart attack surgery.

dkozloski
02-18-08, 12:37 AM
Crown Vics were designed to accommodate doughnut loving LEO's.

gdwriter
02-18-08, 01:00 AM
I bought the strut brace shortly after I got my car. It definitely made a difference, but I still don't feel confident taking my car through the bendies with speed.I didn't come with that stock? My '91 DeVille has a strut brace, and near as I can tell, it's factory.

Crown Vic Owner
02-18-08, 01:01 AM
By your own admission, at 16 y/o, if you're too fat to fit in a Seville series you have a serious health problem, and I resent my tax dollars going to support your eventual heart attack surgery.

I am not too fat, i am just a big guy.

I wear a size 16 for gods sake.

Either way, i do fit, i just am not comfortable.

I am actually very active, i eat fairly healthy, and i am pretty tall.

Night Wolf
02-18-08, 01:22 AM
'91-'93 DeVille came factory with strut tower brace.

My '89 Olds did not, it was the same exact brace, I got one from a junkyard and put it on... made a nice difference.

I was really impressed with the Town Car.... averaged 26.5mpg the entire 100 miles on the highway. Very impressive, raining hard too. Had the cruise set at 60. I really haven't done anything to it lately, just checked the tire pressure for the first time in months, factory spec is 32psi front 35psi rear, so I upped it to 36/38, and the tank before this fill up I ran a can of Sea Foam thru the gas tank. I'm happy though, thats the first time it got that mileage, normally its 23-24.

gary88
02-18-08, 01:24 AM
I didn't come with that stock? My '91 DeVille has a strut brace, and near as I can tell, it's factory./

The previous gen Sevilles came with them from the factory, but they got rid of them for the 98-04s for some reason.

96Fleetwood
02-18-08, 11:26 PM
Congrats on hitting 300K!

There is a '94 Fleetwood Brougham owners on the forum who has over 300,000 miles, I think he is near 400,000 now. He gave it to his son and got himself a STS-V.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_4_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_5_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_6_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_11_full.jpg

Here is his cardomain site, hasn't been updated in a while:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/499994

Crown Vic Owner
02-18-08, 11:35 PM
Congrats on hitting 300K!

There is a '94 Fleetwood Brougham owners on the forum who has over 300,000 miles, I think he is near 400,000 now. He gave it to his son and got himself a STS-V.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_4_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_5_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_6_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/499000-499999/499994_11_full.jpg

Here is his cardomain site, hasn't been updated in a while:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/499994
Were you at the chitown meet, did you meet me?

Destroyer
02-18-08, 11:40 PM
I am not too fat, i am just a big guy.

I wear a size 16 for gods sake.

Either way, i do fit, i just am not comfortable.

I am actually very active, i eat fairly healthy, and i am pretty tall.

Trying to convice us or yourself?. Food for thought (no you cant eat it).

Destroyer
02-18-08, 11:42 PM
Elias you been hiding or what?. Didn't think you were posting anymore.:cookoo:

96Fleetwood
02-18-08, 11:57 PM
Elias you been hiding or what?. Didn't think you were posting anymore.:cookoo:

I was unjustly banned for 2 months.. now I am back :lildevil:

Crown Vic guy... I don't know who I met besides Chad and JRau.

caddycruiser
02-19-08, 09:55 AM
^^According to his last sig update, that Fleetwood has 345k (if not more) by now. His album:

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/Fleetwood%20SS/?start=all

Rolex
02-19-08, 12:33 PM
Yeah, actually, i can spot 3 DTS cabs and MANY deville limos. A seville seems to be a popular rental car here.

Also, im just sick of the bashing, alot of people post about there cars here. I never really said that my car is superior to my seville, AT ALL.

Touche. Limos are always the exception: Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln.

Nobody's bashing you bro. You just put yourself out there and everybody's got an opinion. :D

Crown Vic Owner
02-19-08, 01:30 PM
Touche. Limos are always the exception: Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln.

Nobody's bashing you bro. You just put yourself out there and everybody's got an opinion. :D

Meh, nothing will EVER beat when i put my foot down in the seville

gary88
02-19-08, 03:16 PM
Meh, nothing will EVER beat when i put my foot down in the seville

Sounds like you've never put your foot down in an E46 M3 :lildevil:

Crown Vic Owner
02-19-08, 03:42 PM
Sounds like you've never put your foot down in an E46 M3 :lildevil:

i have done it in a e36 m3.

Have also done it in a z8 (dont ask, friends dad was egging me on, he has money).

BMWs are not as rude as the northstar is.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-19-08, 04:04 PM
BMW's generally have a more gradual powerband. With the Northstar, it's like night and day.

gary88
02-19-08, 05:13 PM
In my car: "come onnnnnn 4000 RPM... alright were going a little faster... ahhh second gear"

M3: "F**k that redline is coming up fast! chirp... second"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-19-08, 06:06 PM
I drove an '04 E500 today, that was nice. :cool2:

Now I know what a fast Mercedes is like.

Rolex
02-19-08, 07:08 PM
I drove an '04 E500 today, that was nice. :cool2:

Now I know what a fast Mercedes is like.

A friend of mine has the SL55 AMG. It's an automatic and still blazing fast. :cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-19-08, 07:32 PM
I can only imagine what that's like. The E500 has like 302 hp, the SL55 has 493. Mine has 228. Soooooo yeah, 302 seems fast to me. :o

96Fleetwood
02-19-08, 07:39 PM
I will tell you one thing.. my Dad's 2007 C6 Z06 made his 2004 SL55 AMG feel slow... now that is fast.

JimmyH
02-19-08, 07:56 PM
I'm never surprised but sometimes amazed at the agenda people come here with. I've asked before, why come to a forum full of Cadillac lovers to bash on GM or Cadillac? I should also ask, why come here to push a Ford on Cadillac and GM lovers? And why would you be surprised when people here give you flak over it?

It must be good to be a mod.

You know how many times I have asked the above question here and gotten e-slapped for it?

96Fleetwood
02-19-08, 08:25 PM

You know how many times I have asked the above question here and gotten e-slapped for it?

Ditto!:worship:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-19-08, 08:27 PM

Ditto!:worship:

Well never by me. :)

JRau
02-19-08, 09:56 PM
Ha! It's funny learning more about my Town Car on a Cadillac site. Mine's a straight stock '97, so this info is good to know. At 42,500 miles, I hope I have a ways to go before one of these major repairs. Last summer, on a few of my trips between Chicago and Des Moines, I got 24.5 mpg's with the a/c on and cruise control set at 72 mph. 4.5 hours of SSMOOOOOOOTH....

CrownVic Owner: Congrats on that mileage, and yes, you do beat your cars up!:yup: Rather than saying you're fat, and bringing ridicule on yourself, say that you are too short for your weight.

96 Fleetwood: Nice to see you back on the forums...:thumbsup:

Night Wolf: Thanks for all the Lincoln info.

JRau

JimmyH
02-19-08, 10:00 PM
Well never by me. :)

yeah but that's only because we share a passion for :chad:

damn, now I am hungry

Crown Vic Owner
02-19-08, 10:48 PM
Ha! It's funny learning more about my Town Car on a Cadillac site. Mine's a straight stock '97, so this info is good to know. At 42,500 miles, I hope I have a ways to go before one of these major repairs. Last summer, on a few of my trips between Chicago and Des Moines, I got 24.5 mpg's with the a/c on and cruise control set at 72 mph. 4.5 hours of SSMOOOOOOOTH....

CrownVic Owner: Congrats on that mileage, and yes, you do beat your cars up!:yup: Rather than saying you're fat, and bringing ridicule on yourself, say that you are too short for your weight.

96 Fleetwood: Nice to see you back on the forums...:thumbsup:

Night Wolf: Thanks for all the Lincoln info.

JRau
Meh, i dont deny im fat, i know it, i expect it.

Do i care, not really.

Rolex
02-19-08, 11:01 PM

You're always allowed to express your opinions here. Nobody stifles your ability to express yourself. I believe I was clear to the OP that I wasn't bashing him or insulting him. Now if you ever find me out of line there's always the "report" button at the upper right of the screen. I'm subject to the same user agreement and rules of the forum as everybody else.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-19-08, 11:14 PM
I'm reporting that post for mentioning that even us moderators are subject to the rules also. :D

Rolex
02-19-08, 11:28 PM
I'm reporting that post for mentioning that even us moderators are subject to the rules also. :D

I'll see your report and raise you by banning myself for 24 hours. :nyanya:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/youlose5qz.gif

Crown Vic Owner
02-19-08, 11:31 PM
I dont care at all about it rolex.

I understand though.

JimmyH
02-20-08, 04:15 PM
You're always allowed to express your opinions here. Nobody stifles your ability to express yourself. I believe I was clear to the OP that I wasn't bashing him or insulting him. Now if you ever find me out of line there's always the "report" button at the upper right of the screen. I'm subject to the same user agreement and rules of the forum as everybody else.

Nono, I was not saying anything against you; I meant there have times I said exactly what you said (why come to a Cadillac board and bash Cadillac?) and I was told "Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and should be able to express it where ever they choose." Conversely it was implied to me that expressing my opinion about this fact was not needed. Go figure.